Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-26-2014, 04:14 PM   #1
billfish

Default 6 volt pos gr wiring harness

Looking to install a new under dash wiring harness in my 51 ford Victoria. I would like to use a fuse block and due away with the original bullet connectors. I called EZ WIRE but they have nothing for 6 volt positive gr. They referred me to M &H wire but they do not list Ford. Is there someone that sells a universal kit for 6 volt poss. gr. I'm sure this is a common upgrade but I must be looking in the wrong place. I understand the wire size for 6 volt systems is larger than the wire in 12 volt systems?
billfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 05:18 PM   #2
51 MERC-CT

Default Re: 6 volt pos gr wiring harness

Quote:
Originally Posted by billfish View Post
Looking to install a new under dash wiring harness in my 51 ford Victoria. I would like to use a fuse block and due away with the original bullet connectors. I called EZ WIRE but they have nothing for 6 volt positive gr. They referred me to M &H wire but they do not list Ford. Is there someone that sells a universal kit for 6 volt poss. gr. I'm sure this is a common upgrade but I must be looking in the wrong place. I understand the wire size for 6 volt systems is larger than the wire in 12 volt systems?
Trying to figure out what doing away with bullet connecters has to do with an added fuse block.
How many fused circuits do you have in your system?
Since you understand that 6 Volt wiring is larger than 12 Volt wiring then unless it is a custom made harness I doubt any of the aftermarket suppliers have anything that is suitable for 6 volt use. Positive or negative ground really isn't part of the equation.
Old 12-26-2014, 05:52 PM   #3
Lawson Cox

I'll bet Tyree Harris could fix you in a minute. Give him a call at 804 556 5200.

It is better to be seen, than viewed.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 06:30 PM   #4
cmbrucew

http://www.vintageford.com/sect_vehi...=Wiring%20Shop

Sacramento Vintage Ford can make it for you, any way you want.
Bruce
Old 12-26-2014, 07:30 PM   #5
billfish

There's no connection between my installing a fuse block (fuses are hard to get to where they are now) and getting rid of the bullet connections that seem to be impossible to connect and re-connect. I'm just looking for a way to get rid of the old frayed wiring and make life easier when working under the dash. I know there are fuses for the radio, clock, interior lights, blower motor and others I have not identified yet, be nice to have them in the same place. It would be helpful to know how others have handled this on their Fords.
Thanks --Bill
billfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 08:16 PM   #6
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I think Road Island Wiring will build custom wire harnesses. If you are interested in building your own I have a couple of good sources.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 10:35 AM   #7
rotorwrench

If you are going to modernize all the electrical circuitry, I don't see a point in utilizing 6-volt power. 12-volt is much easier to work with and has a lot of advantages over using 6-volt. One advantage is use of smaller gauge wire to do the same funtions. Where 6-volt needed 16 gauge for a lot of circuits, a 12-volt only needs 18 gauge for the same job.

I don't have problems with the bullets after I figured out how to use a tool to help disconnect them. I'm not a fan of the fabric covered wire either. No matter how good the fabric thread is, the stuff deteriorates at a much faster rate than PVC insulated covering. Rhode Island Wire coats their product with laquer that will preserve it longer but they are more expensive too.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 02:32 PM   #8
supereal

When we install fuses, we construct a board to hold modern push button breakers placed high on the inside of the firewall. Using a circuit diagram, we put the breakers in the lighting circuits and accessory circuits only. You shouldn't fuse the charging system or the horns. If the circuit is open when the vehicle is running, the voltage will spike and damage the generator. As for bullet connectors, we replace them and cover the splice with heat shrink tubing. They were used to aid buildin the car, but are a constant source of problems in cars that are decades old.
supereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 09:01 AM   #9
34PKUP

Quote:
Originally Posted by supereal View Post
As for bullet connectors, we replace them and cover the splice with heat shrink tubing. They were used to aid buildin the car, but are a constant source of problems in cars that are decades old.
I as well as others ( I suspect ) know dozens of owners with cars that are decades old with bullet connectors that are not now or ever been a "constant" source of problems.
34PKUP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 01:42 PM   #10
HCO41

Same subject, different voltage.
I have the same question regarding my '50 shoebox. Harness has many bare wire areas and I would like to go to 12v, central fuse panel, with no junction blocks (front lights, etc.). I know many of these cars have been extensively modified, can't believe there's no one out there supplying harnesses to do this. 6v should be the same with a gauge or so larger wires.
HCO41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 01:48 PM   #11
51 MERC-CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCO41 View Post
Same subject, different voltage.
I have the same question regarding my '50 shoebox. Harness has many bare wire areas and I would like to go to 12v, central fuse panel, with no junction blocks (front lights, etc.). I know many of these cars have been extensively modified, can't believe there's no one out there supplying harnesses to do this. 6v should be the same with a gauge or so larger wires.
Should not be a problem seeing that you are going to 12 volt
Should be at least one supplier that makes an upgraded harness for 12 volt use.