Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-29-2023, 02:56 PM   #1
C1Nelson

Default 1930 CCPU Door Hinges How to Install

Starting to put together a basket case 30 CCPU. As I look at the door edge I am trying to understand how to attach the hinges. I see three holes instead of something to thread the screws into. I was going to install lock washers and nuts inside the door but it looks that might interfere with the window channels? Possibly use a lock nut.

I have searched here and have not been able to find anything that explains how to deal with this.

Any help would be appreciated. Photos would be helpful also.

I did notice there are two holes at the top hinge and there appears to be a nut that has been welded into the skin of the door edge for one of the screws.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 06DCB365-AD5E-494D-B5A1-C79F7AF26F9F.jpg (61.0 KB, 54 views)
C1Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 03:49 PM   #2
Bob C

Default Re: 1930 CCPU Door Hinges How to Install

The hinges are riveted to the door.
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 09:11 PM   #3
SteveB31

Three special short little countersunk bolts thread thru the door post into those hinges. The screws are unique to the later Model A hinges. New ones are available. Part number A-48590 on modelastore.com
SteveB31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2023, 04:26 PM   #4
Karl Wescott

As Bob C noted, the hinges were originally riveted to the door. Be careful if installing using screws/bolts as there is limited clearance with the window channels. There was no method for up/down or side/side adjustment. There is very limited adjustment on the cowl up/down or side/side also. Front to back adjustment is obtained by bending the hinges. Your door seems to have some damage in the area where hinges attach, you might want to check that and fix it first. You will likely get best results by indexing the hinges to the cowl. Use a length of 1/4" drill rod (McMaster Carr) to set all three hinges on the same axis. For fixturing the hinges on the door one technique is to "bondo" the hinge to the door, then do all necessary drilling and bolting, then break the bondo by knocking the hinge off, then reinstall with bolts/screws only.
Karl Wescott is offline   Reply With Quote