Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-07-2013, 08:23 AM   #1
1931 flamingo

Default Vapor lock

Gotcha..........................

I installed an electric fuel shutoff on my indented 31 Tudor when I first bought it. It's been trouble free and no leaks.
For the past year I've been fighting what some of you may call "vapor lock". No or reduced fuel flow. Stops running, pull to the side of the road, crack the fitting at the carb and "magic", fuel flow. I even covered the fuel line with the orig style wire loom fabric. Last Saturday on the way to a cruise (didn't make it) it happened about 5 times. I let the car sit for a week (too hot/humid). Yesterday I went out and ck'd for flow, strong flow from the tank, little to no dribble from the valve.
I dis-assembled the valve and found the solenoid "sticking", flushed it out good with carb cleaner, re-assembled and now have the same rate of flow from the valve as from the tank. Luckily, I have no dirt/rust in my tank (thank You God !) Maybe this experience will help someone else.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 08:41 AM   #2
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Default Re: Vapor lock

ur mean u got me::: but a good tip.
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 09:01 AM   #3
Kevin in NJ

Dare I say this......

Another modern improvement affecting the reliability of the car.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 11:01 AM   #4
1931 flamingo

I posted this because I can't be the only one who bought and installed one so I didn't have to keep opening and closing the hood, or people that have a bad tank valve inside the car. FWIW
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 12:33 PM   #5
john in illinois

I have one. Thanks for the tip.

John
john in illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 02:05 PM   #6
Duffy1

I had the same problem but mine was the gas cap not venting .
Duffy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 02:13 PM   #7
BRENT in 10-uh-C

But there y'all go confusing everyone with the facts! Remember, it has to be vapor lock is what the cause is, ...the other items are just post-contributing factors but not the initial cause.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 03:49 PM   #8
marc hildebrant

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
But there y'all go confusing everyone with the facts! Remember, it has to be vapor lock is what the cause is, ...the other items are just post-contributing factors but not the initial cause.
Seems like a silly comment. The car had a problem that was solved. Where was the reason of "vapor lock" stated except by the original posting ?

I also don't understand the motivation to make "fun of" a real experience that has happened to both myself and others. Surely the point of this forum is to share experiences and help people. That's why I'm here anyway.

Marc

Marc

Last edited by marc hildebrant; 07-07-2013 at 04:07 PM.
marc hildebrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 06:42 PM   #9
Patrick L.

I don't think one can blame Paul for installing the electric shut-off. If you want to turn off the fuel every day then walking around the car to open the hood can be a real PITA. I don't think that was one of Fords better ideas. Maybe some don't turn off the fuel.
Vapor lock has been discussed ' at length'. Maybe its real, maybe not. Its certainly real on other types of vehicles. Its been mentioned that maybe ethanol is a cause. So, just for the heck of it, I made sure the fuel line had a downward slope to the carburetor and I made a little heat shield out of some heavy roof flashing. It mounts to the left 'through' manifold bolt and one exhaust clamp double nut. It fits as close to the valve cover and carburetor linkage as possible and extends below the exhaust clamp and carburetor inlet by about 4 ". My thought was about trying to keep manifold and pipe heat away from the carburetor. Just thought I'd put this out here, don't know if it works because I did not had vapor lock issues. At least, not yet anyway.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 07:32 PM   #10
kingbee

Send a message via AIM to kingbee

Paul, today I have just the opposite problem, mine won't shut off. I have the one that goes between the tank and firewall. I installed it because the air conditioning completely blocks access to the OEM valve. AND, of course, I have a full tank and not enough gas cans to siphon the tank. My carb leaks about a drop a minute, so the garage smells and I'm going to have to fix the valve, once I drive most of the gas out.
kingbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 07:37 PM   #11
Tom in Michigan

I struggled with the "vapor lock" concept for about a year because I was in denial about all of the "fines" of rust settling in the sediment bowl, plugging the micro filter and keeping the needle valve closed. After accepting the denial as the real problem, and removing and reconditioning the tank, (major job) the "vapor lock" has gone away and the engine no longer stalls because the fuel is not contaminted. A clean carburetor is a happy carburetor and also makes the driver happy. Tom
Tom in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 08:22 PM   #12
Duffy1

My vapor lock symptons were caused by a gas cap.When you tightened the cap some times the gasket would rotate and cover up the vent hole. Then I would have vapor lock symptons . If I filled to full and the gasket turned and blocked the vent hole then the vapor lock symptons started.First day one hundred miles into a 1,000 mile trip I started having vapor lock . Second day finally figured out what was causing the vapor lock . Backed off on the gas cap and no more vapor lock . Replaced gas cap and all is good . Car had stalled on me many times ,sometimes in dense traffic , with vapor lock symptons.
Duffy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 06:13 AM   #13
JD 1931

I thought my problem with the A was vapor lock but after going though system it was caused by a faulty new condenser. Replaced faulty one with NAPA's best and it ran great again...
JD 1931 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 06:44 AM   #14
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc hildebrant View Post
Seems like a silly comment. The car had a problem that was solved. Where was the reason of "vapor lock" stated except by the original posting ?

I also don't understand the motivation to make "fun of" a real experience that has happened to both myself and others. Surely the point of this forum is to share experiences and help people. That's why I'm here anyway.

Marc

Marc
i think what brent was eluding to is that alot of driveability problems are first thought of being a vapor lock problem when in reality it's usually another cause. i dont see where he was making fun of anyone by his reply. just stating the way i read the post.
brent is one of the most valuable assets to this site in expertise and experience.

Last edited by Mitch//pa; 07-08-2013 at 06:58 AM.
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:19 AM   #15
marc hildebrant

Mitch,

I agree that Brent posts very helpful comments....however, the use of 'Vapor Lock" in this discussion by the original post and follow on comments by Brent comes across as a needless "snarky" comment.

"Vapor Lock" has been blamed as a cause of other real problems in the past, but so has many other things at first. For example, how many times does the carburator get blamed for ignition problems !

I regard this forum as a "safe place" where you can discuss problems and such with your car. Hence, members who believe that 'Vapor Lock" is a problem should be as free to post the comments as those who have trouble with electron flow.

That's how I see it.

Marc
marc hildebrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:41 AM   #16
steve s

After reading several posts in which a faulty gas cap was blamed for a problem that turned out to be caused by something else, I have come to the conclusion that gas caps don't exist.
steve s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 03:20 PM   #17
Bruce Compton, Canada

How is it possible to get " vapor lock" in a gravity feed system???? Please someone explain this as I can't imagine how it can occur. Thanks : Bruce
Bruce Compton, Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 03:24 PM   #18
Patrick L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve s View Post
After reading several posts in which a faulty gas cap was blamed for a problem that turned out to be caused by something else, I have come to the conclusion that gas caps don't exist.
Maybe gas caps don't exist, but, every now and again a faulty one rears its ugly head !
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 05:50 PM   #19
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc hildebrant View Post
Mitch,

I agree that Brent posts very helpful comments....however, the use of 'Vapor Lock" in this discussion by the original post and follow on comments by Brent comes across as a needless "snarky" comment.

"Vapor Lock" has been blamed as a cause of other real problems in the past, but so has many other things at first. For example, how many times does the carburator get blamed for ignition problems !

I regard this forum as a "safe place" where you can discuss problems and such with your car. Hence, members who believe that 'Vapor Lock" is a problem should be as free to post the comments as those who have trouble with electron flow.

That's how I see it.

Marc
Marc , my comment comes because I have been verbally chastised here on numerous occasions offering my opinion, ...to the point where folks get very vocal arguing that vapor lock is real in a stock Model-A. Sometimes I walk away and just say "What's the use!!" Maybe now is one of those instances.

I believe Paul used that opening line with tongue in cheek to antagonistically engage in a topic that he knew would likely draw a grin from most, ...and be controversial to a few. So I guess it is OK for him to say something controversial however you feel like it is improper for me to making an equally controversial reply in jest. Maybe the difference is you don't like my comment because my opinion does not align with your views. Now that does seem kinda petty, don'tcha think? Again, what's the use??

With regard to your comment about carburetors getting blamed for ignition problems, ...well from my vantage point, it does not very often if some one truly knows how to properly diagnose. Often times, it would appear the ones that should be receiving the advice do not want to accept what the facts are! That's OK in my view because it is indeed a "safe place" here.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 06:05 PM   #20
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Compton, Canada View Post
How is it possible to get " vapor lock" in a gravity feed system???? Please someone explain this as I can't imagine how it can occur. Thanks : Bruce
The 10% crap gas (ethanol) boils in the fuel line and carb. This happens mostly while stopped at a red light or driving slow, when heat soak sets in and raises the fuel temp above it's boiling point. I used to think it can't happen on a gravity feed fuel system, but then it happened to my friend while I was riding with him. Then a couple months later it happened to me. My solution was to pay an extra dollar per gallon for the good gas. Starting last summer I've also been adding Marvel Mystery Oil, 4 oz. per 10 gallons. I only use this good gas and MMO in all my small engines, lawn mowers, motorbike, and outboard.

I don't like paying a buck a gallon extra to leave the crap out of the gas, but it's much better than fighting all the problems caused by ethanol.

BTW, people can say it doesn't happen or call it what they want, but for me it's real and I call it vapor lock, because the gas turning to vapor is the problem.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote