Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-11-2011, 10:39 AM   #1
learaviator

Default !949/1950 F1 differences

Looking at a truck, not sure if it is a 1949 or 1950 F1. Can some one tell me the difference if their is one? Thank you ahead of time!
learaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 11:14 AM   #2
Mountaindoc

Default Re: !949/1950 F1 differences

Structurally speaking they were basically the same truck. As far as I understand, the only real differences were in some paint details. Right off the top of my head, the 49 had a full argent silver grill out of the factory while the 50 had a tan color behind the headlights. Now considering it's over 60 years later, those differences are probably not gonna be there. If you're looking at a late 50, it will have a column shifter instead of a floor shifter. And there supposedly were some very late 50's that had the flat panel bed (the raised panel that runs under the fenders was phased out in 51 and on). But I've never seen one either in person or on the net. Do you have the VIN number? There is a really good thread over on FTE which has been aimed at finding the dividing line between a 49 and a 50 VIN for several years now.
Mountaindoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 11:25 AM   #3
GreenMonster48

1948 Was the first year of that style, not 49. 48s had tan grills with black wheels, 49 and 50 had the argent grille with body colored wheels. Like Mountaindoc said, those clues may be long gone by now. My 48 has the build date stamped on the firewall with yellow paint. Something I've never seen anywhere else.
GreenMonster48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 11:42 AM   #4
Mountaindoc

Yep, as we both know, 48 was the first year of the "monkey faces". I've got a 49 and a 50. But like we said, you'd be hard pressed to find the original colors on those grills nowadays. The VIN number is the only sure-fire giveaway between a 49 and 50 (unless it's a very late 50 with the above changes).

According to Standard Catalog of Light-duty Ford Trucks 1905-2002, by John Gunnell:

Prototype trucks, seen in many factory photos, had body color grill/headlight mounting panel, while early production trucks originally had Tucson Tan finish there, Argent silver later replaced Tucson Tan and the later trucks also had Argent Silver finished grill bars with red stripes. All 1948 models had wheels done in black.

Body color-coordinated wheels and elimination of the red strip on the Argent Silver grill bare the two most noticeable styling changes for 1949. The headlight and grill mounting panel continued to be finished in Argent Silver, like the late 1948.

This year's trucks were almost carbon copies of the previous year models, although minor modifications were made. The grill recess was finished in an Ivory color.
Old 04-11-2011, 01:14 PM   #5
GreenMonster48

Interesting. I didn't realize 50 had ivory grilles. Seems like there's so much difference within the same year depending on plant and location. Same with the speedo needle colors. Seen them all red, and some silver with a red stripe.
GreenMonster48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 01:27 PM   #6
Mountaindoc

Just the grill "recesses" in the 50's were that ivory color apparently. Pretty much the flat part behind the headlights. But, like you said, every single factory seemingly was different. I pulled that description above out of an old thread on FTE. Somebody else came right behind and showed another excerpt out of another book that had some differences. Here's the link to a very interesting thread on FTE about these VIN numbers. It started out as a quest to find the "cutoff" between the 49's and the 50's. But it has converted into a big pot of information. You said that your build date is stamped in paint. They'd be really interested in seeing a picture of that. First one I've heard of. Plus you can post your VIN and cowl stampings there and they'll tell you a whole lot about your truck.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/42...n-cut-off.html

Just to give the original poster a ballpark idea. My 49 VIN is something like 98RC242000 while my 50 is closer to 98RC324000.
Old 04-11-2011, 04:34 PM   #7
mtflat

Quote:
Originally Posted by learaviator View Post
Looking at a truck, not sure if it is a 1949 or 1950 F1. Can some one tell me the difference if their is one? Thank you ahead of time!
The serial number is the only dependable way since so many parts have been swapped over the last 60 years.

Either post the serial number or email it to me at [email protected] and I can tell you which it is..... unless your's happens to fall right on the margin between the two.

If you can find a production stamping on the firewall post that too. It contains more info than the serial number that's stamped on the data plate, rating plate & frame rail.
mtflat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 04:37 PM   #8
mtflat

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMonster48 View Post
1948 Was the first year of that style, not 49. 48s had tan grills with black wheels, 49 and 50 had the argent grille with body colored wheels. Like Mountaindoc said, those clues may be long gone by now. My 48 has the build date stamped on the firewall with yellow paint. Something I've never seen anywhere else.

Most (that have it) are stencilled on with yellow paint. I've seen half-dozen or so with the date - most were 48's iirc.
Old 04-11-2011, 07:33 PM   #9
Barry-ct

Any of the speedo clusters I've pulled and restored with the silver pointer were 48's. The heads are stamped in ink with a date of manufacture. Some were faded away, most were legible. The painted needles were 49 or 50. I did have a parts truck that was a 50 and had the smooth sides on the bed. But as stated above, who knows whats been swapped around in the last 60 years. They probably had several suppliers for many parts and they differ slightly from each supplier. To this day, it happens. You had to know which plant your Taurus was built to know which side mirror to order.

Barry

50 F-1
Barry-ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 08:26 PM   #10
Mountaindoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtflat View Post
The serial number is the only dependable way since so many parts have been swapped over the last 60 years.

Either post the serial number or email it to me at [email protected] and I can tell you which it is..... unless your's happens to fall right on the margin between the two.

If you can find a production stamping on the firewall post that too. It contains more info than the serial number that's stamped on the data plate, rating plate & frame rail.
Aahhhh. The VIN master is here too. I should have figured you were. I hope you don't mind that I linked your VIN number thread (which should be made a sticky again IMO).
Old 04-11-2011, 08:49 PM   #11
ct50f1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaindoc View Post
If you're looking at a late 50, it will have a column shifter instead of a floor shifter. And there supposedly were some very late 50's that had the flat panel bed (the raised panel that runs under the fenders was phased out in 51 and on). But I've never seen one either in person or on the net.
My '50 F-1 (#97HC312907) was built in August, 1950. It has the flat panel bed sides and a 3-speed floor shifter which was a heavy duty option.
ct50f1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 09:08 PM   #12
Mountaindoc

Wow. That's cool. I'd like to see a pic of it sometime. I take my earlier statement back. I got to thinking about that later, and I do remember seeing one late 50 with a flat panel bed, but only one. It had a column shifter. Have you ever seen a wide back glass in a 50?
Old 04-11-2011, 10:40 PM   #13
mtflat

Quote:
Aahhhh. The VIN master is here too. I should have figured you were. I hope you don't mind that I linked your VIN number thread (which should be made a sticky again IMO).

I get around, but I don't consider myself the master of anything - just been playing with the numbers for awhile.

It's not my thread over there so help yourself. Carl - texan2004 - started it but he's been tied up with a variety of things the past couple of years so I've been filling in for him.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:35 PM   #14
learaviator

Thanks everyone for all of the replies! This forum is awesome, I am gonna love it here. The serial number is 97HC162850.
Old 04-12-2011, 12:45 AM   #15
mtflat

Quote:
Originally Posted by learaviator View Post
Thanks everyone for all of the replies! This forum is awesome, I am gonna love it here. The serial number is 97HC162850.

You are welcome and you have a very early 49 six cyl half-ton pickup. Probably built in Dec 48 or Jan 49.

Back then the model year cut off was approx the calendar year.
Tim
Old 04-12-2011, 09:05 AM   #16
learaviator

That is awesome, I was hoping for it to be in the 1940's. It has sat in the same place for almost thirty years, I finally tracked the owner down thru land tax records. This is a link to the post on my blog where we are pulling it out.

http://learaviator.blogspot.com/2011...w-project.html
Old 04-12-2011, 09:51 AM   #17
cmbrucew

Hi MTflat
I have one with a # 97HC274122 LB
I believe ford still assembled car and trucks at the Long beach plant thru 1950.
It would be cool if this one was built there. It runs, original engine,solid metal,
every thing there.
cmbrucew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 09:53 AM   #18
Mountaindoc

That's a cool looking truck. Man you guys have it made out there. If that truck was here in Kentucky, it would be rotted to the ground. You say you can't get it started. You might want to take at least the head off and look inside. I got a feeling you'll find the rest of that seat. Especially if it's been sitting that long.
Old 04-12-2011, 05:03 PM   #19
mtflat

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbrucew View Post
Hi MTflat
I have one with a # 97HC274122 LB
I believe ford still assembled car and trucks at the Long beach plant thru 1950.
It would be cool if this one was built there. It runs, original engine,solid metal,
every thing there.
Hi,
It's cool then - that's what the LB stands for.
Your's is toward the other end of 1949 or early '50 production. Different states titled vehicles differently and your truck is right on the breakover of the year. What does your title say it is?

We do know it's a six cyl half-ton built at the Long Beach plant.

If you find any stampings on the firewall I'd appreciate knowing what those are too. That might tell us which year it belongs to.
Old 04-12-2011, 08:26 PM   #20
ct50f1

Quote:
Wow. That's cool. I'd like to see a pic of it sometime. I take my earlier statement back. I got to thinking about that later, and I do remember seeing one late 50 with a flat panel bed, but only one. It had a column shifter. Have you ever seen a wide back glass in a 50?
Here's a couple of pictures. The picture of the exterior doesn't show the bed that well but the sides are flat.

I haven't ever seen a big back window on a '50 but I've only been working on the truck for a couple of years. I've spent a lot more time around Model A's.
ct50f1 is offline   Reply With Quote