Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-28-2015, 09:40 AM   #21
joel

Default Re: crimping wiring bullitt male terminals?

I want to thank everyone for their responses. Marts tool idea is good , but I would probably solder them anyway. I was thinking solder in the first place, but figured I should ask, just in case there was something easier. There are many who have done it ,so I'm going to tin the leads and solder the bullits on . Once more , Thanks to all.
joel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 12:42 PM   #22
rotorwrench

[QUOTE=Jim in Wisconsin;1023453]In my working career, I maintained a fleet of electric lift trucks so I dealt with d.c. connections a lot. A good crimp is a better connection than a solder joint if the lug is desiged for that. If a wire is a loose fit in a lug and the gap is filled with solder, that would not be considered a good connection, and letting the solder wick up into the wire is also not good.

I work with crimp type almost exclusively in aviation so I know where you're coming from. A wire really has to be tinned prior to soldering or it can get contaminated. Soldered connections can get brittle & break easier when they are under vibration or stress loading so they aren't used much in aviation but there are always exceptions.

I have a pair of crimpers that my Pop purchased in a terminal set back in the early 60s when crimp types were still crimped bare and then heat shrink wrapped to finish. Those crimpers have a little concave shaped into one jaw and pointed end on the other jaw. They leave a pretty deep depression in the terminal if you crimp them too hard. They will work better if a person partially crimps one side then flips the tool over and crimps again from the other side. The OEM tool may have just had a concave shape with a small point on each jaw but it is not so easy to crimp a cylindrical shaped terminal and keep the tool centered properly unless it was shaped that way. Crimping the neck of the bullet always deforms them too so a person has to have a happy medium there to get successful results. Soldering the bullet tip would leave the terminal in much better shape as long as minmal solder was used so as just to get an acceptable joint with no cold solder.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 02:13 PM   #23
satelite

I solder all of mine. I learned the hard way on my first Model A. The 2nd Model A I owned had every connection soldered and I never had a problem with it.
Don in SC
satelite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 02:16 PM   #24
G.M.

There are special crimpers for the bullets. I have several that I had for years. These have plier type handles, there is an open circle in the middle of the complete round end. There are 3 or 4 little sliders that move into the center of the hole when squeezed. The wire is striped inserted in the bullet with the stripped end sticking out the end of the bullet about 1/8". The bullet is inserted into the round hole in the crimper and the sliders line up un the groove right behind the bullet end. As you squeeze the handles the siders move in and crimp the connecter to the wire. I always solder the wire end with small diameter solder and trim the end with a sharp cutter.
G.M.
Old 01-28-2015, 03:15 PM   #25
V12Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil/WV View Post
I have had many crimped joints pull apart and have never, ever had a properly soldered joint pull apart!
I have salvagead many bullit connectors from old harnesses. All were soldered and I put the wire in a vise, heated the solder and pried the bullit off with wire cutters. When reinstalled, I soldered them on. When I put the bullit connectors in the connecting tube, I use channel lock pliers to grip the base of both bullit connectors and force them into the tube. Most of my problems were because the bullit connectors were not deep enough into the tube connectors.
V12Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 04:30 PM   #26
rotorwrench

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.M. View Post
There are special crimpers for the bullets. I have several that I had for years. These have plier type handles, there is an open circle in the middle of the complete round end. There are 3 or 4 little sliders that move into the center of the hole when squeezed. The wire is striped inserted in the bullet with the stripped end sticking out the end of the bullet about 1/8". The bullet is inserted into the round hole in the crimper and the sliders line up un the groove right behind the bullet end. As you squeeze the handles the siders move in and crimp the connecter to the wire. I always solder the wire end with small diameter solder and trim the end with a sharp cutter.
G.M.
Those crimpers are described to be similar to Daniels Manufacturing crimpers. I have several sets of them with different dies & positioners. They are generally a 4-way crimper and have a variety of position tools for different pin sizes & types like are used in Cannon plugs for aircraft & military equipment. Thes types are getting to be very expensive now days.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote