Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-04-2011, 05:47 PM   #1
TagMan

Default Lifting A '36 Coupe Body Off The Frame

Question, if I may - I'm just about ready to lift the body off the frame on my '36 3-window. Has anyone got any suggestions as to lift points or, better yet, maybe some pics of one being lifted? I'd hate to damage good body panels by lifting at the wrong spots.

The floor is pretty solid, as is the body itself, but should I do any bracing before lifting the body?

Thanks for any help you can provide - Bob
TagMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 06:03 PM   #2
1949FORD

Default Re: Lifting A '36 Coupe Body Off The Frame

It's always good to have at least 4 people to take each end/corner of the car. When you are ready, do a count off like, 3,2,1 LIFT! so every one will be safe and hopefully wont pull a muscle.
1949FORD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 07:13 PM   #3
throwback

This is assuming that the floor pans are solid and I would also suggest bracing the door openings to maintain the door fit.

If you have access to a chain hoist with adequate lifting headroom this makes for a simple easy removal. I did a 36 5-window and ran a 4 inch wide cloth strap through the door openings. Do not run this through the window openings of the doors. Raise the hoist with the body sling just high enought to remove the frame. After frame has been removed set the body on some solid supports that will allow you a comfortable level to work on the body. If you don't have access to an overhead chain hois with adequate lifting headroom then as 1949 suggests man power will work as well. I would recommend at least 6 peolpe four to lift the body and possibly two to roll the chassis out from under the body. Just my opinion.

It should be just a minimal amount of lift for a short period.
throwback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 08:41 PM   #4
Lawson Cox

"Do not run this through the window openings of the doors."

Why not. That is the way it was done at the factory when the body was sat down on the frame after the body was hauled half way across the factory that way.

My 2 ¢
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 11:09 PM   #5
33 roadster

Hi I lifted my 36 3W body and frame and with the right side fenders on with my excavator and a 4 inch strap throw the door windows no problem had it 10 feet off the ground. Also have a picture of the car 7 feet off the ground and Dad holding on to the running board with one hand like he has Atlas. Larry

Last edited by 33 roadster; 09-04-2011 at 11:18 PM.
33 roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 07:52 AM   #6
Ross in East Texas

Send a message via AIM to Ross in East Texas

On my '39 Coupe I ran a 1" steel rod under the front just behind the firewall and another one just in front of the rear of the body. I used a 3" nylon sling across the ends of these rods (one on each end) and used 2 - 2000# cable come alongs to lift the body with doors attached off of the frame. After rolling the frame out from under the body I lowered the body down to 4 jack stands supporting these same steel rods.
Old 09-05-2011, 08:44 AM   #7
zoegrant

If it was me I would brace the doors ..running a 2x3 tubular steel bar from the inside of the car attached to the front of the doors to the rear of the doors...I did this on removing the body on my t-bird with the doors off.It worked beautifully and then lifted the body off using my engine crane...when high enough to clear the wheels then I rolled the frame away....a one man operation.........I posted a picture on my profile..if you can access it,take a look...
zoegrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 08:54 AM   #8
George/Maine

There are many ways of doing it.What i did was put a cable under back, no fenders and lifted and put 4x4 under back and cinder block of to clear to roll frame out.Up front put chain under front were bolt are and put another 4x4.I only was changing frame.
George/Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 09:16 AM   #9
Fordors

Lawson, in the body and paint areas they used large hooks and chains down to somewhere on the floor of the body. Yes, they did transport and "body drop" bodies through the window openings but it looks as though the roof was carrying the weight and the doors were basically untouched. The arms were heavily padded but I think it would damage door alignment to pick the body up by the doors.
Fordors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 09:16 AM   #10
ken1939

I lifted the body off the frame on my 39 Chevy business coupe this way.

Once it was all unbolted, and the doors were shut, I used a floor jack with a jack stand and a 2x4 across the top of the stand. On my car I had one or two well placed floor supports that I used for my pivot point. I raised the car high enough to run longer 2x4s as stringers for the car to sit on, and then put those on sawhorses that ran the legnth of the body. Once I had one at both ends and up on the saw horses, the chassis rolled right out.

I didnt have 4 people to help me so I had to do it on my own.
ken1939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 01:41 PM   #11
jerry grayson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordors View Post
Lawson, in the body and paint areas they used large hooks and chains down to somewhere on the floor of the body. Yes, they did transport and "body drop" bodies through the window openings but it looks as though the roof was carrying the weight and the doors were basically untouched. The arms were heavily padded but I think it would damage door alignment to pick the body up by the doors.
Nope, the hooks were through the doors only, not to the roof!!
jerry grayson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 06:58 PM   #12
Marvin/TN

Send a message via AIM to Marvin/TN

Coupes and sedans are different, convertables need to have a support between A & B pillar and not depend on the rocker panels to keep the door opening from closing up.
Marvin/TN is offline   Reply With Quote