Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-08-2024, 10:14 AM   #1
Southtowns27

Default NP435 to flathead?

I've got an NP435 transmission with a Borg Warner R10 overdrive on it that I'd like to swap into my truck. Is there an easy way to get this bolted up to the flathead?
Southtowns27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2024, 12:04 PM   #2
Newc

Default Re: NP435 to flathead?

what yr eng??? easier to an 8ba. Newc
Newc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2024, 12:21 PM   #3
blucar

You did not list the year of your truck. If it is pre 42 it will have a torque tube driveline and transverse springs all of which makes it near impossible to bolt an OD trans into a 36-41 vehicle.

I say near impossible, because nothing is impossible, if you have enough money and lots of time
Old 02-08-2024, 01:30 PM   #4
Southtowns27

My bad, it's a '46 so open driveline which makes it tons easier. The truck has a 59A in it right now, but I'm building an 8CM for it. I wasn't planning to swap the engine until next winter so if I could get the NP435 attached to the 59A that'd be great. The original 3 speed isn't much longer to this world.
Southtowns27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2024, 06:48 PM   #5
Newc

The 8CM [49 up] has multiple available bell housings available. Easier done. Newc
Newc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2024, 08:05 PM   #6
rotorwrench

The NP435 is a truck transmission so I'd look at the truck 4-speed hogs head to see what it would take to adapt.

The New Process 435 is a later model transmission that I have never seen with an overdrive. I've seen transfer cases but not a B&W R10. Ford used the T85 R11N transmission as it's last heavy duty overdrive application for pickup trucks up to 390 CID in 1969 & 70. The NP435 doesn't have any form of reverse lock out so a person would have to be careful if piggy backing an R10 unit off the back somewhere.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2024, 12:07 AM   #7
GB SISSON

I did some research on this, found nothing very conclusive, but it seems there are models for Ford, Mopar and GM. Anybody know which one this is?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NP 435.jpg (39.0 KB, 344 views)
File Type: jpg NP 435 tag.jpg (43.3 KB, 343 views)
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2024, 12:19 AM   #8
GB SISSON

And is the 'hogshead' the casting that holds the clutch release shaft? I recall that on the later 8ba type T-9 has that as a seperate casting bolted onto the tranny case. Thanks
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
Old 02-09-2024, 12:56 AM   #9
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
I did some research on this, found nothing very conclusive, but it seems there are models for Ford, Mopar and GM. Anybody know which one this is?

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2024, 02:41 PM   #10
GB SISSON

Southtowns I am hoping this is a link to an extensive thread on FTE 'Ford Truck Enthusiasts' site about the use of an NP 435 onto an 8ba hogshead along with other synchro 3 and 4 speeds. It is quite confusing to me, but it will make sense to experienced transmission guys. My own investigation with an 8ba style hogshead I just pulled off a junk crashbox looks encouraging. Not sure I'd actually do it but I'm bored and want a project for my new lathe.....

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...5+8ba+flathead
Old 02-09-2024, 07:14 PM   #11
rotorwrench

That long input looks like a Dodge type. Fords & GM versions are shorter at near 6.5" from the front face of the case. A 2WD or divorced transfer case set up may be easier to work with. The mated transfer case types complicate things to a higher degree.

Ford used these a lot. Dodge did as well. GM didn't use them as much. Ford used the 1-1/16" 10-spline input and has the Ford Butterfly type front bolt up. The Ford types were all pretty Similar from 1966 to 1992.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 02-09-2024 at 07:28 PM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2024, 03:32 PM   #12
GB SISSON

Thought I'd post my findings here as someone in the future may search this subject. Once again my buddy was correct when he said of me... "His epitaph certainly wont be 'He was a man of few words'"......
I came up with a ford type NP 435 the other day. 2wd type and the price was right and seller said it worked fine. I determined I needed a 3/4" thick adapter plate to bring the end of the pilot to the exact same spot off the truck hogshead. Pilots were identical in OD and length. For test purposes I made a 3/4" plywood spacer with a hole to fit the NP's bearing retainer flange. I got a snug fit on the flange and traced the 8 1/2" across and 6 5/16" vertical 'symetrical butterfly' pattern on my plywood. Drilled to 1/2" as the clearance holes were 7/16". Flipped the plywood, centered on flange center hole and traced again. Drilled them 1/2". All my pencil tracings were double checked with the known dimensions before drilling. The plywood was bolted onto the tranny with shouldered 8ba headbolts which were a perfect fit through the existing clearance holes . The top two nuts were so close to the NP's casting that no wrench needed as the flats were tight to the case, and the bottom through bolts were in the clear. Amazingly simple so far. Next I pulled the bearing retainer/TOB sleeve off of a t-9 crash box 4 speed. Just for yucks I decided to see if it would fit over the NP's snout as a sleeve.. Nope, too tight. I looked inside and there was a very shallow oil slinger type spiral like a shallow acme thread for the first 1/2" on the flange end. I turned it around and introduced it backwards. Both pieces were cold and had some old hard grease on them but it was encouraging. After cleaning them some, it slipped on but I had to wiggle and rotate to slide it on backwards until it bottomed out against the oil groove 'threads'.. More great news. I could not adapt a boring bar to my lathe so I used a drum sander on a drill just to bring down that last 1/2". Not only did it slide on with a perfect snug fit, but the flange bottomed out into it's original recess in the base of the hogshead. This took a couple taps with a brass hammer, which of course centered the whole works. With an extra washer under the cap screws holding the NP's bearing retainer it can be tapped home remaining flush as Henry intended. I can envision drilling and tapping a shared hole in that joint for a small brass hex head pipe plug to retain it. I may need to take about 3/16" off the end of this new 'sleeve', but other than that, and a steel or aluminum plate this should bolt directly into a flathead V8 with no complex machining. The center hole in the plate can now be oversized and the perfect fit between the two sleeves and flange will center it. Note: This part was easy, making a new crossmember for a half ton won't be that fun if you are working under vehicle. A tonner or larger, looks like some modification to existing crossmember.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HH 2 435 1.jpg (130.5 KB, 219 views)
File Type: jpg HH 2 435 2.jpg (110.5 KB, 218 views)
File Type: jpg HH 2 435 3.jpg (122.0 KB, 217 views)
File Type: jpg HH 2 435 4.jpg (111.3 KB, 216 views)

Last edited by GB SISSON; 02-16-2024 at 03:55 PM.
Old 02-16-2024, 05:47 PM   #13
flatford8

Glad to see you’re keeping busy and staying out of mischief......LOL......Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2024, 06:09 PM   #14
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
Thought I'd post my findings here as someone in the future may search this subject. Once again my buddy was correct when he said of me... "His epitaph certainly wont be 'He was a man of few words'"......
I came up with a ford type NP 435 the other day. 2wd type and the price was right and seller said it worked fine. I determined I needed a 3/4" thick adapter plate to bring the end of the pilot to the exact same spot off the truck hogshead. Pilots were identical in OD and length. For test purposes I made a 3/4" plywood spacer with a hole to fit the NP's bearing retainer flange. I got a snug fit on the flange and traced the 8 1/2" across and 6 5/16" vertical 'symetrical butterfly' pattern on my plywood. Drilled to 1/2" as the clearance holes were 7/16". Flipped the plywood, centered on flange center hole and traced again. Drilled them 1/2". All my pencil tracings were double checked with the known dimensions before drilling. The plywood was bolted onto the tranny with shouldered 8ba headbolts which were a perfect fit through the existing clearance holes . The top two nuts were so close to the NP's casting that no wrench needed as the flats were tight to the case, and the bottom through bolts were in the clear. Amazingly simple so far. Next I pulled the bearing retainer/TOB sleeve off of a t-9 crash box 4 speed. Just for yucks I decided to see if it would fit over the NP's snout as a sleeve.. Nope, too tight. I looked inside and there was a very shallow oil slinger type spiral like a shallow acme thread for the first 1/2" on the flange end. I turned it around and introduced it backwards. Both pieces were cold and had some old hard grease on them but it was encouraging. After cleaning them some, it slipped on but I had to wiggle and rotate to slide it on backwards until it bottomed out against the oil groove 'threads'.. More great news. I could not adapt a boring bar to my lathe so I used a drum sander on a drill just to bring down that last 1/2". Not only did it slide on with a perfect snug fit, but the flange bottomed out into it's original recess in the base of the hogshead. This took a couple taps with a brass hammer, which of course centered the whole works. With an extra washer under the cap screws holding the NP's bearing retainer it can be tapped home remaining flush as Henry intended. I can envision drilling and tapping a shared hole in that joint for a small brass hex head pipe plug to retain it. I may need to take about 3/16" off the end of this new 'sleeve', but other than that, and a steel or aluminum plate this should bolt directly into a flathead V8 with no complex machining. The center hole in the plate can now be oversized and the perfect fit between the two sleeves and flange will center it. Note: This part was easy, making a new crossmember for a half ton won't be that fun if you are working under vehicle. A tonner or larger, looks like some modification to existing crossmember.

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2024, 08:53 PM   #15
GB SISSON

Thank you Pete, my faithful friend and enlarger. And Mark, some people do crossword puzzles to keep their mind sharp, or climb mountains 'because they are there'. Me, I make stuff with what I have been tripping over for years. It doesn't keep my mind sharp, but climbing a mountain after working all week sounds like even less fun. I'm just hoping the original poster shows up and sees all the trouble I went through on his behalf ...
Old 02-16-2024, 11:27 PM   #16
cas3

Whats the white "jet" machine in the background?
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2024, 09:31 AM   #17
GB SISSON

Cool Re: NP435 to flathead?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cas3 View Post
Whats the white "jet" machine in the background?
It's a horizontal belt sander I bought for the woodshop at a yard sale. It was so handy for surfacing manifolds etc that it just stayed in my lower truck repair shop. It has a nice flat platen that must be almost 3' long. Also real nice for radiusing corners on fab work etc. It's the only 'overseas' stationary tool that remains in either shop. Last Tuesday I bought a can of 'dark machinery gray' in a feeble attempt to camoflauge it back to 1947. LOL
Old 02-17-2024, 11:07 AM   #18
5851a

Good deal, I had that transmission in a 76 F250, last I knew the truck went in my friends estate auction. It was used pretty hard sometimes but never gave any trouble.

Last edited by 5851a; 02-18-2024 at 11:28 AM. Reason: spelling
5851a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 10:36 AM   #19
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5851a View Post
Good deal, I had that transmission in a 76 F250, last I knew the truck went in my friends estate auction. It was used pretty hard sometimes but never gave any trouble.
Known to be a very reliable and well built transmission. I stumbled on some reading the other day about T-19, T-18 and the NP 435. Appears all 3 are interchangeable across the board with no alterations. This opens up the possibility of these other two trans behind a flathead V8. The NP is saddled with an extremely deep low. In the 8/1 realm. Anything other than that is very rare. Also, no synchro in low. T 18 has for the most part a 6/1 low, and still no synchro in low. But T-19 most of the later ones were 4/1 low and all synchro. In my studies, I came across a thread where the use of this 'close ratio' T-19 allowed the use of a higher geared rear axle ratio, thus making that low first more useable and now the 1/1 direct drive High is essentially an 'overdrive'. Once agian, not the trans for most, but in a bigger truck and someone who doesn't want to double clutch. It offers some promise. I finally got a piece of aluminum to produce a plate when I'm not busy, but the T-19 as a direct replacement can be important to someone looking into this.
Old 03-29-2024, 11:03 AM   #20
Ol' Ron

If it wasn't for the transfer case, I's say the T- 170 would be a better option. the OD is the weak link here.. Nice to see people making things. That's why I like thin hobby, I have very little money so I have to make things. Win,Win
Gramps
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote