Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-25-2013, 09:00 AM   #1
Doug 845

Default Handcranking a '33 V8

Has anyone ever tried to start their V8 by hand? I know it easier just to turn the key and let the battery do its magic. But I would like to try just once for fun & see how hard it is. My main concern would be not doing any damage to the grill.
Doug 845 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:49 AM   #2
David J

Default Re: Handcranking a '33 V8

I never miss an opportunity to wind my 33 up by hand if there is an interested audience watching . I do the pull up on the handle method . If your front end stuff is all there and good and if all is assembled properly it doesn't really bother the grille . The triangular shaped pan takes the brunt of the abuse . DO NOT grab the handle with a firm - closed grip . Just pull up with your hand open . These start real easy and do not turn over hard . If you're worried about it wrap a piece of duct tape around the extension where it passes through the grille . Again these start really easy if all is in good order .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug 845 View Post
Has anyone ever tried to start their V8 by hand? I know it easier just to turn the key and let the battery do its magic. But I would like to try just once for fun & see how hard it is. My main concern would be not doing any damage to the grill.
David J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:53 AM   #3
ken ct
BANNED

Yea ,have done it a few times on my 36,starts on the first pull.i give it a little more idle speed by the dash throttle rod. ken ct.
ken ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 01:58 PM   #4
JM 35 Sedan

Be careful doing this. I have heard stories from my Dad and others about breaking arms/thumbs, possibly worse, during the Model T days. There was a procedure posted here or on the old Fordbarn on how to do this safely but I don't remember the details. I would also like to try this on my '35. You never know when you may leave something turned on that could take the battery down too low to start using the starter.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 02:18 PM   #5
junk yard kid

It also helps to open the hood when your new at this. If the crank doesnt engage all the way it can slip out and then you may mess up your grill or like me on my model a, loose all the skin off your knuckles.
junk yard kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 02:28 PM   #6
Ford coupe

I have seen one or two lose some paint of the hood after kicking back and nearly breaking hands thums wrist ect ect.That was a few yrs ago..Would have more respect for the old girl now..CAREFUL
Ford coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 03:32 PM   #7
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

Be sure crank is properly aligned with all holes...bad mounts, assembly problems with sheetmetal, etc. can allow crank to damage grill where it passes through when you pull. If all is in its proper place, no problem. Sometimes they start at a very low chug-chug and you need to grab the throttle and goose it...so hood up!
Bruce Lancaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 03:40 PM   #8
G.M.

If it starts easy with the starter it will start better with a crank. Reason, the battery is not being pulled down by the starter and you get full battery voltage to the coil. This is also why when an engine won't start with a low battery it will start on a hiil or being pushed and the clutch left out to turn the engine. I always parked on a hill when I was a teen, still jump it if I have the oppertunity. G.M.
Old 02-25-2013, 04:03 PM   #9
keith oh

If you use an incline or hill to start it, use high gear so the engine turns over easier. In low or even second the back wheels will sometimes slide, especially on gravel, due to the engine turning over much faster.
keith oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 04:14 PM   #10
Henryat1140

I've cranked a lot of Model T's in my day. Just want to clearly explain how you go about grasping the crank to avoid injury.

Make sure car is in neutral and brakes applied.

Switch on.

Insert crank into hole and turn it so it engages the ratchet nut at about 7:00 o'clock. What you are trying to achieve is a pull on the crank from about 7:00 o'clock to about 11:00 o'clock; a smooth steady pull upward.

Place your hand as though you were giving a 'thumbs up' signal to someone. The four fingers are wrapped around the crank handle, but the thumb is NOT, place your thumb on the opposite side of the crank from your fingers. This way if something happens and the crank flies upward unexpectedly your thumb will be out of the way.

Pull the crank smoothly upward past a compression stroke and if the engine is cooperative it will start, it will also eject the crank from the ratchet nut, so you carefully thread the crank back through the grille.

Hope I haven't left anything out. Improper cranking broke lots of arms and thumbs over the years.

(Yes we have started our '36 by cranking)
Henryat1140 is offline   Reply With Quote