Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-24-2012, 11:18 AM   #1
roccaas

Default Winter time and those painful cracks in the corners of the chapped thumbs

We've discussed this subject every Winter (to the extent of Supergluing the crack closed in order to get on with the Winters's maintainence projects).

I can now recommend "O'Keefe's Working Hands" that I've found here on my Montana trip. Not greasy, closed up a painful little cut in the corner of the thumb--I have great hopes going forward....
Old 11-24-2012, 12:02 PM   #2
mot

Default Re: Winter time and those painful cracks in the corners of the chapped thumbs

get a prescription for Nystatin ointment
it will start healing overnight
cornhusker lotion is great, as is goldbond healing lotion
mot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 12:05 PM   #3
FL&WVMIKE

Default Re: Winter time and those painful cracks in the corners of the chapped thumbs

I moved to Florida. That fixed mine !
I had a place on my thumb that split every year, for years.
Much better, now !
MIKE
FL&WVMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 12:25 PM   #4
BILL WILLIAMSON

Chief had a HORRIBLE problem with cracking knuckles while working on tractors, etc. Used cheap soft brown cotton gloves, rubbed Vaseline on his hands, slept in the gloves, never washed the gloves. Hand cotton pickers always used Glycerine to re-plenish skin oils SUCKED out by the cotton. Bill W.
Old 11-24-2012, 12:37 PM   #5
Stan/MO.

Tight shoes aint no picnic!!
Stan/MO. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 12:55 PM   #6
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan/MO. View Post
Tight shoes aint no picnic!!
Stan,
I SUFFERED that misery for years 'til I realized they made BIGGER sizes! AHHHH! Bill W.
Old 11-24-2012, 01:08 PM   #7
Rowdy
BANNED

After chemo five years ago cold is painful in ways I never imagined possible. Below 30 degrees my hands hurt so bad I can not even hang onto a wrench without gloves and my feet and lower legs are near numb all winter. Rod
Old 11-24-2012, 01:08 PM   #8
Afordman31

Chapstick
Afordman31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 01:08 PM   #9
Y-Blockhead

I use 'Udderly Smooth' udder cream. Works pretty good at keeping skin soft so it doesn't crack. Works good on teets too.

Lately tho I've been using Carmex healing cream

Last edited by Y-Blockhead; 11-24-2012 at 03:55 PM.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 01:22 PM   #10
TerryH

I've also used Cornhuskers Lotion for years....works great on dry, roughed up skin.......
TerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 01:42 PM   #11
Afordman31

Quote:
Originally Posted by roccaas View Post
We've discussed this subject every Winter (to the extent of Supergluing the crack closed in order to get on with the Winters's maintenance projects).

I can now recommend "O'Keefe's Working Hands" that I've found here on my Montana trip. Not greasy, closed up a painful little cut in the corner of the thumb--I have great hopes going forward....
I looked this product up after reading your post. Lowe's carries it for you folks who want to buy it locally if Lowe' is in your area. Here is the link,

http://www.lowes.com/pd_247105-18562...2#BVRRWidgetID

Also HomeDepot:

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...&storeId=10051

Read the reviews, you probably will buy some, I am sure that I will. Thanks. Afordman31

Last edited by Afordman31; 11-24-2012 at 01:56 PM. Reason: Add another link
Afordman31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 01:47 PM   #12
Roadster62

Bag Balm!!!!!!!!!!!!!! http://www.bagbalm.com/
Old 11-24-2012, 02:10 PM   #13
[email protected]

http://www.nocrack.com/

Hands are sometimes known to be leathery, right? Here is another product for your consideration.

I have a friend that was in the leather industry and he always said to care for leather properly you should use Lanolin. Do not use anything with glycerin, saddle soap, or silicone as it will actually help to seal the exterior but then the inside will dry from the inside out. The Lanolin will be absorbed totally into the leather and a little amount seems to go a long way. It works for sheep..... We found this No Crack Cream being sold at the Illinois Machine Shed restaurant one time and it is made up with mostly Lanolin. My wife is a great believer in this No CracK Cream product now as being much better then any other hand creams out there. But she probably hasn't actually tried them all out before so it is just an opinion.

I found out as well that this same No Crack Cream is actually great on leather furniture to heal the scratches and cracks of normal wear and tear. It leaves the leather better looking and feeling then the leather conditioning stuff sold at the stores just for leather. Try it out first on an inconspicuous spot as it darkens the leather color slightly as the leather get re-hydrated. Works great on our dark brown leather furniture.

To get back to being Model A related. I haven't tried it out on my car top or tires yet...
modela@aol.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 03:50 PM   #14
MikeK

Years ago when I actually had a job several guys complained about the parts washer. After some discussion, they tried a 55 gallon drum of super Agitene with lanolin. The lanolin sure was nice. Not for the parts, they came out slimy. Try some lotion with lanolin, but keep it out of the parts washer.
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 04:36 PM   #15
raceron1120

Yup, I've used Cornhuskers Lotion for years, it's not as greasy as some others. But Bag Balm has also been a favorite; my mom said I used to call it "bump salve" when I was little cuz she'd put it on anything from a skeeter bite to a goose-egg on the noggin. re: cold hands? I have same problem anymore. Anything near or below freezing & they ache and throb, not good when I love ice fishing. . .
raceron1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 05:38 PM   #16
turnpikecrusier

I use bag balm then I put liquid bandaid over it, that helps it stay on over night
turnpikecrusier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 02:30 AM   #17
Stan/MO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON View Post
Stan,
I SUFFERED that misery for years 'til I realized they made BIGGER sizes! AHHHH! Bill W.
Bill,
I'm glad you were the one to respond to my post...you're my hero on this forum. You have the ideal outlook on life. I enjoy all your funny comments.
My motto is.....LIFE'S A GAMBLE....LET EM' ROLL

Stan/Mo.
Stan/MO. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:16 AM   #18
Cool Hand Lurker

I used cooking oil for years but this is the best I have found, recommended by my doctor. It is Lac Hydrin Five but it is tough to find:
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 21YwTIzD+bL__SL500_AA300_.jpeg (6.7 KB, 9 views)
Cool Hand Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:38 AM   #19
ora masters

Quote:
Originally Posted by roccaas View Post
We've discussed this subject every Winter (to the extent of Supergluing the crack closed in order to get on with the Winters's maintainence projects).

ten four it works
ora masters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:40 AM   #20
Garage Dog

ThanKs I am going to try some of these
Garage Dog is offline   Reply With Quote