Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-10-2012, 09:20 PM   #1
rooboy

Smile Electric water pumps

Electric water pump(s)....anyone had any experience or success with these types on a flathead ?.......
Thanks.........
rooboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:27 AM   #2
G.M.

Default Re: Electric water pumps

Why would you want electric water pumps? Skip in Florida Modifies them to deliver twice the flow of water and solves the hot running if other components are working properly. The radiator tubes in these cars restrict the coolant flow. The coolant needs to be FORCED through the radiator. BUT as even with stock pumps if there is no pressure cap or Skips 3lb pressure valve on radiator with no pressure cap prevision the coolant go's out the overflow. G.M.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PRODUCTS-V3.jpg (67.7 KB, 160 views)
Old 10-11-2012, 10:04 AM   #3
richard rink

G.M. with all due respect for your commitment to Skip's style of water pump, Rooboy has simply asked about what experience others may have using an electric style pump in combination with a flathead engine. I am interested, as well. Richard
richard rink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:39 AM   #4
36tbird

I am with you, richard. It does seem that any question on this forum about flathead water pumps automatically prompts an advertisement for Skip's pumps.
36tbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:20 PM   #5
rooboy

Thanks for your comments and support fellas....Being use to GM over the years, i tend to ignore the "adverts"....
This is to do with a mates upcoming purpose built off road desert vehicle useing a flahead engine.....nothing to with EV's..!!..........
Old 10-11-2012, 10:41 PM   #6
Butch11443

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I wouldn't see why one wouldn't work well on a flattie. Use the conversion kit to a 348-409 style water pump and put an electric on it. Got a friend running a blown 454 on the street with one.
Butch
Butch11443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:47 PM   #7
Pete

They work fine...I made one from a marine pump.
Had it on my vintage circle track car for 2 seasons.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 12:34 AM   #8
expavr

I'm running a Meziere electric water pump (55 gallons/minute) on a supercharged 392 Hemi in combination with a temperature controlled electric fan on the radiator. It pumps 55 gal/minute and the fan cycles off and on depending on water temperature (180* stats) regardless of engine speed. I think this combo is a significant improvement over a conventional cooling system in a street driven performance vehicle where engine RPM alone doesn't move enough volume of coolant. I can't see why a flathead couldn't be adapted to function the same way.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hemi.jpg (77.9 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg Supercharger.jpg (54.2 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg imp-side.jpg (75.1 KB, 51 views)
expavr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 12:48 AM   #9
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.M. View Post
G.M. Hopefully the advertisement you posted has not been distributed and won't be. I'm not sure many will understand what it means to have their DISTRIBUTORS → Stobed.

("Stobed" is actually street slang for: "One who gets so high that he or she begins to speak in a foreign language." [https://www.google.com/#q=STOBED+sit...=1260&bih=905]
Not sure a distributor could do that. At least not the ones that we use in our flatheads. An Amway distributor? Maybe. )

Last edited by Old Henry; 10-12-2012 at 01:12 AM.
Old Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 11:12 PM   #10
rooboy

Talking Re: Electric water pumps

Thanks for the examples you blokes posted....
You've given us some great ideas to work off.............
Old 10-13-2012, 10:51 AM   #11
Wily Kyote

One can trust Prof. Henry to add a bit of levity to the picnic.
Wily Kyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 09:35 PM   #12
4t8v8

Not a big deal but I was wondering why you would want electric pumps. Seems like a lot of trouble and money to re-invent the mouse trap. I've been running my 8RT since new (1950) with factory water pumps and it has never overheated in all these years. There must be a reason so I thought I'd ask.
4t8v8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 08:18 AM   #13
felix37

Some people on the Barn insist on running electric fuel pumps, why not water pumps?
One advantage I see with electric pumps is when the RPMs are down the electric pump is still flowing at its max rate. How could that be bad?

Also, I'm with the others above, I'm tired of all GM's info -mertials on any post that has anything to do with water pumps!....I understand Skip puts out a great product and GM wants to do his best to promote his friends product, but the in your face constant reminders may be doing him more harm than help! After all nothing beats good Ol customer testimonies!! Just saying!!
felix37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 08:54 AM   #14
rotorwrench

Electric accessories like fans, water pumps, & fuel pumps are fine and good as long as your electrical system can carry the load and work with existing voltage requirements. The old 6-volt cars are stuck with mostly mechanical equipment. The fuel pumps are likely the only items made for 6-volt systems.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:18 AM   #15
G.M.

G.M. is not advertising Skips pumps but making new readers understand the cooling and coil problems and that there is an easy bolt on fix as long as there are no other mechanical problems. I can understand some of you thinking it is an add but that isn't the case. My intent is to help the people with these problems to be able to drive their car ANYTIME regardless of outside temperatures and distance they want to travel to be able to do so without the fear of breaking down on the road. I would estimate close to 20,000 old Ford people have resolved their problems with Skips products. I have had women come up and thank me at car shows saying they wouldn't ride with their husband in the old Ford to a show but followed in a modern car and now they are able to go with him. I doubt these cars were ever driven on a tour or short trip before. I was at Hershey yesterday with one of my 39 convertibles. I guy walked up and shook my hand and thanked me for developing the coils and pumps for Skip. He said he could hardly drive his old Ford because of coil and over heating problems and now it runs cooler than another old Ford he has with a SBC engine. I don't enjoy sitting here spending my time posting but there are NEW people with the same old problems on here every day that need help. Like I have posted for years if you don't like what I post just don't open it as I do with posts I don't want to read. G.M.
Old 10-14-2012, 09:22 AM   #16
4t8v8

I can see your point. If you are racing or hauling heavy loads at very low rpm's. For a street driven vehicle it's hard to see the advantage for the price of doing it. I've heard people say it is less load on the motor. But you are actually transferring the load from the pumps to the alternator. It takes a pretty hefty motor to run the pump. Gain would be small if at all. Again, racing would be a good argument for doing it.
4t8v8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:40 AM   #17
G.M.

As far as electric pumps are concerned I can't see where anyone would want these on a normal driven passenger car. But there could be applications like a tank in the hot desert that MAY benifite from electric pumps. The original motor I used on Skips water pump test machine was one that was laying around the shop. It happened to be 3,400 RPMs. I thought this would be good as it would provide reading at the high speeds. After about 12 years the motor went bad and Skip put a 1,700 RPM motor on the machine and the output readings were EXACTLY HALF the gallons pumped in a 5 minute period. I expect if it had a variable speed motor the pumping capacity would be fairly lineral with increased RPMs. That being said pumps with electric motors depending on impeller design would put out more coolant constantly all the time at all speeds including idle as long as there was the same voltage supplied to the pump motor. Most DC motors are varable speed depending on the supply voltage. Motors could be installed on ford pumps. You would need a collar on the shaft to keep the shaft in place and a motor attached to the shaft with a bracket to keep the motors from rotateing. Sounds like a hot rod project. G.M.
Old 10-14-2012, 04:42 PM   #18
donald1950

two thoughts:
1, your first sentance says alot: "As far as electric pumps are concerned I can't see where anyone would want these on a normal driven passenger car" there seem to be alot of concepts you cannot see, one being what other people want to do on their cars if it does not include skips pumps.
2, why dont you just respond with: "for more information on high volume water pumps please go to www.fordcollector.com" and stop the sales pitches and trying to "making new readers understand the cooling and coil problems" new members can do the reasearch on your web site.
every chance you get your posts seem to disrespect other peoples openions and it gets old. please give it a rest..... don
donald1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 05:29 PM   #19
52merc

well if you had read rooboys thread he said it was for a OFF ROAD DESERT VEHICAL running a flathead hence the electric water pump,im amazed at how may on this forum go off on another track on questions asked here my nickles worth
52merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 05:50 PM   #20
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.M. View Post
As far as electric pumps are concerned I can't see where anyone would want these on a normal driven passenger car. G.M.
The proposed electric pumps were not being considered for a "normal driven passenger car." They are being considered for the Aussie's Mate's "Off Road Desert Vehicle."

I'm with others. Seems like any mention of water pumps and we get the ad from G.M. when it is not even responsive to the question nor relevant to it. And is presented with a "how can you be so stupid as to consider anything but Skip's" approach. Not the best way to begin "educating" much less "selling."

Last edited by Old Henry; 10-14-2012 at 06:03 PM.
Old Henry is offline   Reply With Quote