Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-16-2011, 04:03 PM   #1
richbud37811

Default still not luck with getting front end on

HERE is a pic of why the hood ordament will not fit cause there somethign wrong with the new rad pic should show whats wrong.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PICT0009.jpg (60.0 KB, 277 views)
richbud37811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 08:03 PM   #2
Mike in AZ

Default Re: still not luck with getting front end on

how is radiator mounted??....lay the hood on and see what gaps you have....Mike
Mike in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 05:20 AM   #3
richbud37811

Mike same gap from hood to grill, Called rad maker there trying to figure out waht they did wrong. the depth of hood is perfect from frie wall to mount gap are 1 ic all the way around the car. Like you see in that pic.
Old 11-17-2011, 09:55 AM   #4
1931 flamingo

And who did the radiator??
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 04:09 PM   #5
richbud37811

its a griffin rad there working with me real slow thow im stressing big time .
Old 11-17-2011, 06:09 PM   #6
Gumpy

don't worry you can find a solution to this...I was once informed by a professional body man that for example when I put my 40 coupe together he said always put the hood on first after your engine install then mount the fenders and the grill...it made sense to me because i had a big gap near cowel where the hood met the fenders,,, i had to pull the fenders off and remount...finally got things lined up....what model and year car you working on.?...hope this helps.....Gump
"I believe God is managing affairs and that He doesn't need any advice from me. With God in Charge, I believe everything will work out for the best in the end. So what is there to worry about". Quote by Henry Ford
Gumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 11:16 PM   #7
Mike in AZ

so you have that huge gap at the bottom of the hood sides also....if you can't latch the hood like that, then yeah, looks like your radiator is too high/tall??.....what does radiator mounting to frame look like?....Mike
Mike in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 11:22 PM   #8
40cpe

I'm still trying to figure out that picture
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 12:03 AM   #9
deuce lover

Rich,The radiator to grill should connect like this.I have a Walker radiator and nearly 1/4" space between radiator and edge of grille.Alignment was no problem.Looks like your radiator is to wide and spreading the grille.Is your grille an original or reproduction?Hope this helps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 36 grille to radiator fixation 2.jpg (53.5 KB, 72 views)
deuce lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 12:17 AM   #10
uncle buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by richbud37811 View Post
HERE is a pic of why the hood ordament will not fit cause there somethign wrong with the new rad pic should show whats wrong.
Looks like the same problem I had with a US Radiator in a '36. The only way the hood ornament would come close to fitting was to mount the radiator about 1/2" BELOW the radiator mounts. Then the side brackets were way off for the top of the radiator to the back edge of the grill shell. never did figure out what was up with that radiator and had purchased it a few years before trying to install it from a dealer that went out of business so I left it at that. The only thing I always wondered was could it possibly have been a pickup radiator rather than passenger car? I will be watching to see what you find out. Dave
uncle buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 12:34 AM   #11
BobM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richbud37811 View Post
Rich, don't despair yet; I will send you some measurements, this way you will have a point of reference. What you're showing in your picture is the same problem I had and I have the original radiator. I'll PM some measurements tomorrow. Bob
BobM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 07:22 AM   #12
richbud37811

I hope some one can help i am sending th rad back to griffin next week.There saying they dont know is it posiable that there org rad be a truck and not a car.I called walker and asked them what there height was they said 28 1/8 this one is 27 5/8 tall i have a great fit from fire wall to front its just to high.If one of you guys has a org rad plz mesure the total hight from the plate to the bottom. It might help me figure out and i can send them more info whne i send the rad back any hep be greatly aprectied the car is a 36 four door slant back.
Old 11-18-2011, 02:26 PM   #13
BobM

Rich, core dimensions for the '36 passenger car is: 23"H X 17"W. The pickup is 22 1/2"H X 19 3/4"W. The distance on passenger lower mounting tabs to the top of radiator where the rear of hood ornament mounts is 28 1/8." Distance between upper mounting tabs on radiator for attaching grill is 19".

Last edited by BobM; 11-18-2011 at 03:31 PM.
BobM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 11:06 AM   #14
Lyndon

I went through similar troubles in lining up my '36 front end. I was working with a re-cored original '36 passenger car rad, but I think the shop remounted the side mounts off by a very small amount which throws everything out of kilter. I ended up having to do a small amount of selective grinding where there was interference at the sides of the grille, and also I had to fabricate my own hood ornament mount which needed to be about 3/8 inch lower than the original. After that, and a few tweeks with all the bolts finger tight, I was able to make it respectable. After tightening everything up, it is not perfect but it does not bind on opening the hood and there are no huge gaps anywhere like it was on the first install attempts.

Persistence will pay off, I fooled with this one for many hours.

By the way, almost forgot - if you are working with a repro grille your troubles will be multiplied by a factor of about 5. At first I was working with a repro grille that I bought in the mid-80's, and later on I was lucky enough to find a decent original grille that solved A LOT of the alignment problems.

Good luck.
Lyndon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 12:35 PM   #15
FlatheadTed

Send a message via AIM to FlatheadTed

I saw this on a 34 were they re-cord it about 1/2 to high ,no way will the hood fit .Like Uncle Buck I had to to mount a Radiator under the mounts on a 35 to get it to fit .If I was getting a re core I would supply the Radiator man with a wood frame jig to frame the radiator, with all the mounting brackets lined up with a removable screw in each ,Also consider making the Radiator lower because you can always pack it up but you cannot go the other way .Ted

Flathead Ted brake Floaters ,

Last edited by FlatheadTed; 11-21-2011 at 08:26 PM.
FlatheadTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 05:33 PM   #16
richbud37811

Up date sent rad back to griffin today the grill is org so i know theres some trouples with the tank they working with me to get it rite .