Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-01-2023, 05:07 PM   #1
coolcoupe

Default brakes

Is there any other rear brakes that can be used on a 40-48 car ?
coolcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2023, 05:27 PM   #2
Brian

Default Re: brakes

The bendix brakes, as used on lincolns and repopped...however, do the front brakes too, otherwise the brake bias is totally wrong and dangerous; the bendix brakes are far superior to the Ford Lockheeds!
Old 07-01-2023, 06:43 PM   #3
Flathead Fever

I have stock '50 Olds self-energizing brakes on the '28 Ford Mitchell Muffler Pickup that were installed when the flathead drivetrain was switched out for Olds power back in 1950. They kept the Early Ford hydraulics on the front. That sucker stops really well and straight. There is nothing unsafe about the balance of the brakes. It's the rest of the car that feels like a death trap to me. Here some photos of the entire drivetrain swap in 1950.
Flathead Fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2023, 06:52 PM   #4
Flathead Fever

The Mitchell Pickup was the first hot rod ever road tested in a magazine. Wally Parks did the testing in Hot Rod Magazine. He was happy with the self-energizing brakes on the rear and the Early Fords in front, except that they were sensitive and slid with too much pressure because of the light weight of the car. A '40-'48 car is going to stop differently. I'm building a '34 pickup with Lincoln brakes front and rear. On my '32 roadster highboy project I like the radiational look of the Early Ford backing plates on the front so I might run Lincolns just on the rear. I have a '32 2-window that somebody started building. Early Halibrand in the rear with F-100 self-energizing brakes, on converted 9-inch axles and Early Ford Brakes up front with Buick drums.

It's been years since I started the Mitchell Pickup up. I think it was the last Pasadena Reliability Run. It sees daylight about every ten-years. It should have that barn-find patina by now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg June 1951 Hot Rod mITCHELL ROAD TEST PG. 10.jpg (70.6 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg June 1951 Hot Rod Mitchell road test pg.jpg (80.7 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg plaque - Copy.jpg (39.7 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by Flathead Fever; 07-01-2023 at 07:21 PM.
Flathead Fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2023, 08:19 PM   #5
19Fordy

Sadly, Boling Bros. is out of stock re: 40-48 brake drums. If anyone knows of a set for sale there is a Fordbarner looking for rear brake drums.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2023, 09:21 PM   #6
Krylon32

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I just ordered drums and backing plates with no problems, must have run out fast as they just got a large order in? They are out of the repro rear hubs which necessitates reusing the stock hubs with new studs to use their drums. I've sold quite a few sets of rear Lincoln for the 40's rear ends and Brian is right the fronts should also be changed for the proper balance. I will check the status of drums and report back.
Krylon32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2023, 10:12 PM   #7
Brian

A few years back I installed an Auburn two speed diff into my jailbar. The Auburns used 12" Bendix brakes, like Lincolns of the era. That jailbar was downright dangerous with the Lockheeds on front and Bendix on rear; the rear brakes would lock up with the resultant crazy antics...I fixed it by adapting 12" bendix brakes to the front.
That is my experience, hence my warning in my above post.
Old 07-02-2023, 11:42 AM   #8
coolcoupe

Thanks for all your comments, I am listening for any solutions you's might have. Moe
Old 07-02-2023, 12:39 PM   #9
19Fordy

coolcoupe: Keep in touch with Krylon32. He is a Boling Bros vendor, knows their products and stands behind them. I bought my complete MT Lincoln brake kits from him years ago and am still very happy.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2023, 10:54 AM   #10
Krylon32

Got a reply from Boling Bros. They have drums, & backing plates. I have a source for US made front hubs but you must reuse the rear hubs with new studs for a rear conversion. There is a company selling Chinese hubs but they have had some problems with some of them.
Old 07-03-2023, 12:46 PM   #11
coolcoupe

So you are saying if I buy new front drums I can use them on the rear if I install my rear hubs ? If so why would I need new studs ? Moe
Old 07-03-2023, 03:05 PM   #12
Krylon32

I suggest you send an e-mail to Boling Bros and pose your question to them.

[email protected]
Old 07-03-2023, 03:45 PM   #13
rich b

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcoupe View Post
So you are saying if I buy new front drums I can use them on the rear if I install my rear hubs ? If so why would I need new studs ? Moe
The original studs are swedged; the swedge needs to be cut to remove the original drums. The swedge is easily cut with a 5/8" hole saw. The original studs will no longer work and would be too short anyway as the cast drums are thicker than the original drums. Boling Bros lists the part number for the studs on their website and also sell a kit with serrated studs and a reamer, or you just get studs locally if you have the means to open the holes to .60.

Last edited by rich b; 07-04-2023 at 04:47 PM. Reason: extra
rich b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2023, 04:55 PM   #14
Krylon32

Thanks Rich. I suppose I should have explained.
Old 07-03-2023, 06:47 PM   #15
coolcoupe

If I install the rear hubs in the new front drums it'll work ?
Old 07-03-2023, 07:48 PM   #16
Krylon32

There are no front drums, the same drums work front and rear. You can use your stock hubs with new studs. I assume your thinking of doing the BB 12 inch rear backing plates? Another option is to use the BB backing plates with the 1.75 wide shoes and use your stock drums. I've sold several kits F&R to customers using the 1.75 shoe BB backing plates and retaining their stock Ford drums. Several different options.
Old 07-14-2023, 04:47 PM   #17
coolcoupe

Hi Krylon32, I have 2 really good front drums but I need 2 rear drum/hub.
Can I ream out my no good hubs and install them in my other really good set of drums ? Can I buy the correct longer studs from you ? Thanks for now, Moe
Old 07-14-2023, 07:39 PM   #18
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Hi Krylon32, I have 2 really good front drums but I need 2 rear drum/hub.
Can I ream out my no good hubs and install them in my other really good set of drums ? Can I buy the correct longer studs from you ? Thanks for now, Moe
If Gary ("Krylon32") does not, or is not able to supply you with new, proper-length studs, you can get the proper studs from Dorman. To utilize the "MT Products" drums, you'll need to cut the swage holding each original wheel stud into the stock drum/hub assembly using a 5/8" hole saw. You'll ream the five holes to 0.600" in the hubs and replace with specific Dorman #610-234 studs.

Coop

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2023, 07:50 PM   #19
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Because you need to drill out the swedging to remove the Ford hub from the drum. Also, Boiling Bros. brake drums are great, but are cast steel all around. Ford drums were cast iron rings welded to a sheet metal center allowing them to use short studs.

Replacing the studs in no big deal. You need to ream out the holes approx. .010 (Boiling brothers will tell you and now sell the correct studs) and the new studs are toothed so the will wedge into the old hub.

Nice thing about using Boiling Brothers drums is you can take the drums off without a puller since they become slip on drums like a "modern" car.

I highly recommend using their drums. They are excellent and perfectly round out of the box.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2023, 07:57 PM   #20
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN View Post
If Gary ("Krylon32") does not, or is not able to supply you with new, proper-length studs, you can get the proper studs from Dorman. To utilize the "MT Products" drums, you'll need to cut the swage holding each original wheel stud into the stock drum/hub assembly using a 5/8" hole saw. You'll ream the five holes to 0.600" in the hubs and replace with specific Dorman #610-234 studs.

Coop

Haha, I didn't see your post. I believe Boiling Bros. sells the correct studs, but don't get them from them. Get them from Rock Auto. They are like 3/4's less in price than anyone else.

It took me a few hours going through the Dorman catalog to find the correct ones. Glad Coop posted the correct part number.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote