Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-01-2013, 01:39 PM   #1
maxparplus

Default Flathead Fitment

I have a 38 Ford Standard Coupe and was looking to replace the motor. Will any Ford flathead just bolt right in? I understand exhaust might have to be modified but will any flathead bolt to my 3 speed stock tranny and will the later model flatheads bolt onto existing motor mount placements? I am still looking for a rebuilt motor so I would like to know my range of options to put in the car.

Thanks,
Max
maxparplus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 04:46 PM   #2
malpais

Default Re: Flathead Fitment

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxparplus View Post
I have a 38 Ford Standard Coupe and was looking to replace the motor. Will any Ford flathead just bolt right in? I understand exhaust might have to be modified but will any flathead bolt to my 3 speed stock tranny and will the later model flatheads bolt onto existing motor mount placements? I am still looking for a rebuilt motor so I would like to know my range of options to put in the car.

Thanks,
Max
I heard a '53 flathead" will "just bolt in" my 39 pickup. That's sorta true. No cutting required. But had to add spacers on front motor mounts or u-bolts for springs hit pan. Had to adapt anti-chatter rods. Had to find right engine/bellhousing piece. Put on late truck water pumps, then generator pulley as wrong. Had to find right double "wide belt" crank pulley . Then had to determine where fan went. '53 was on separate mount under generator - 39 PU was supposed to be on generator. Fan hit water pumps if mounted on generator.

Point is, most engines will "bolt in". Just be prepaired for some challenges.

Gordon