Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-17-2015, 04:17 PM   #1
Bob NH

Default Lighting issues

Serious question about light wiring. I do not run around much at night but use parking lights on occasion. Lights all died last year and its time to get busy in the basement now. I installed a checked out used switch from Baxter which worked for a while. Have a NOS one and tried that, nutin. As well as the one which was in the car to begin with. So, I removed the circuit breaker and resister board, cleaned the contacts, made a new board as long as I had it out. Reconnected the tagged wires and I can get parking, directional, tail lights but no head lights ? When I pull the switch to head lights I get clicking from the circuit breaker and the large yellow wires heat up fast. Really not crazy about burning up the ride before the season even begins ! Welcome trouble guru's. These three switches all work now. Any one ever open one up just to see how they work ? I did. Made two new shaft's while at it so I did not have to keep switching back and forth.
Bob NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 06:49 PM   #2
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Default Re: Lighting issues

Well, you have a shorted wire. The load (to ground) is clicking the circuit breaker and heating up the wire. Need to find the short and/or replace the wire (s). Start at the circuit breaker and work your way to the headlight and locate the problem area. Could also start disconnecting wires at the headlights and see where you are when the problem goes away.

Last edited by JSeery; 03-18-2015 at 09:30 AM.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 09:38 PM   #3
Ken/Alabama

Check the dimmer switch also
Ken/Alabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 10:17 PM   #4
Drbrown

Circuit breaker units are fine as long as they work. Sometimes they overheat, fuse their contacts and cause car fires. When ever you hear them repeatedly "clicking" disconnect the battery ASAP until the problem is fixed. My personal experience with a circuit breaker was driving at night and the breaker cut-out and shut-down the entire car, leaving me going down the road with no lights. Thankfully I got onto the road shoulder and no one was driving behind me.

I eliminated my circuit breaker by installing blade-type fuse panels and relays for high amperage items such as headlights, fog lights etc. My system is 12 volt with electronic ignition and its coil has a built-in resistor, so it was not necessary to provide a separate ignition resistor, as you might need to if your system is stock. The fuse panels contain spares allowing quick replacement. Now, I may temporarily lose one item but not the whole car.

Last edited by Drbrown; 03-17-2015 at 10:56 PM.
Drbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 09:46 AM   #5
TJ

Headlights go through the dimmer switch, your other lights do not.. I suspect you have a bad dimmer switch.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 10:05 AM   #6
JSeery
Member Emeritus

It's a fairly simple circuit, wire from the CB to the Light Switch, if only the headlights are an issue then this wire should not be the problem. Wire from the Light Switch to the floor Dimmer Switch, if there is a problem with both high and low beams selected, then the problem should be in this wire or the switch itself. From the Dimmer Switch there are several wires to the high and low beams. If the problem is not at the or before the Dimmer Switch it has to be in this wiring.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 11:42 AM   #7
Bob NH

Hey thanks guys for your great suggestions. I really dread taking up the new floor mat and floor board to get at that dimmer. It looks like you all feel that may be the issue, likely may well be. I'll get with it in a couple days and see what gives. Again many thanks, Bob
Old 03-19-2015, 01:48 PM   #8
Bob NH

Told ya I'd be back. Bad penny's always return don't they ? Heartfelt thanks to all who helped bail me out with lighting problems. It turned out as you folks said to be a short at the dimmer switch ! Looks like all is well right at the moment. Besides the wires feeding the dimmer there are a lot of others, electric fuel pump, hose for Columbia etc. so the area is busy and trying to keep the clutch pedal from rubbing the mess is tight. Again, thanks so much for the help, appreciate it.