Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-21-2014, 06:17 PM   #1
cbaum111

Default New to Model A hobby

I've just become enamored with the Model A, I'm considering purchasing a 1928 Model A Tudor I have located. There is a feature to the on the car that I think is unique however I can not identify. The Emergency Brake is on the Left side of the driver, where most cars I have seen are on the right side.

I was asked if the car I looked at is an AR Model. I'm unable to answer that question. Why is the emergency brake on the left? How does that impact the value of the car? Does having this feature indicate that other unique features are present.

I'm just having a tough time valuing the car when I compare it to other cars. Anyone got any ideas what I'm in for.
cbaum111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 06:28 PM   #2
pooch

Default Re: New to Model A hobby

A thing to remember is, with the hand brake on the left, you do not have any emergency brake.

If any of the brake rods or other bits of this system fail, you are on your own re stopping.

When I bought my first AR, I did not know and I will never own one again, probably never even drive one again .

I have had the experience of going down a hill with no way of stopping . never again.

I did not drive the car for a long time until I changed the chassis out to a later one.

I was having nightmares about coming up to a local pedestrian crossing with kids on it, and me hitting the brakes and nothing there.

Others will say the brake system is quite OK.

If it was OK , the US government would not have forced Ford to add a separate emergency brake.

My advice is to look for an A later than the AR.
pooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 06:44 PM   #3
Fred K-OR

I have no experience with an AR but I would agree to look for a later model. The little I have been exposed to AR stuff I found that a lot of parts for the AR are different than the 1929 and on models. I have two 1929 models and I would not have a 1928.

Again I am no expert with Model A's but it just seems to me that the type of A you buy would be dependent on what you want to use it for. In looking at what our club members have, it seems like the one that want to do a lot of touring, will buy the later models-1930 or 1931. But if you just want to have an A to drive around in your local area, then earlier models would work. So my advise would be to look around and see what other people have and how they use them.
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 06:47 PM   #4
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbaum111 View Post
I've just become enamored with the Model A, I'm considering purchasing a 1928 Model A Tudor I have located. There is a feature to the on the car that I think is unique however I can not identify. The Emergency Brake is on the Left side of the driver, where most cars I have seen are on the right side.

I was asked if the car I looked at is an AR Model. I'm unable to answer that question. Why is the emergency brake on the left? How does that impact the value of the car? Does having this feature indicate that other unique features are present.

I'm just having a tough time valuing the car when I compare it to other cars. Anyone got any ideas what I'm in for.

Ummm yeah, a chance at getting 'hosed'! My suggestion if you don't know much about a car, then find someone who you can trust that does! Tell us your location and lets see of we can find someone in your area to mentor you.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 07:40 PM   #5
1930artdeco

The 28 AR models have very unique parts that don't necessarily work with later models. For example, the AR's have special hubs that only take AR wheels. Ford changed the design later in 28 which will take later 28-29 wheels and hubs. That being said AR cars are 'special' and that is all some people collect. But just be aware that they have some hard to find parts.

Like Brent and Pooch have said get someone to go with you who knows these cars. If this is your first Model A you may want to find a slightly later car that is a little more universal and easier to learn on. But if it the right body style, the price is right, all of the parts are there and you have the mechanical skills go join a club and get it.

Mike
Old 08-21-2014, 07:46 PM   #6
Tom Wesenberg

I prefer the mid 1928 and later Model A's, but wouldn't mind an early one if the price was right and the parts were all there.
I've spent enough years looking for hard to find parts.

As mentioned, get a knowledgable Model A person to go with you.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 07:47 PM   #7
KGBnut

cbaum111,

Welcome to the world of the Model A. Whether you get this one, or a different one, you will be changed forever.

As Brent said, give some indication of where you are. You will likely meet people in your area right here on Fordbarn that will be happy to help.

Ken
Old 08-21-2014, 07:49 PM   #8
Roadster62

Has anyone been able to find the mass gravesites were all the AR drivers were buried? Bob
Old 08-21-2014, 08:49 PM   #9
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadster62 View Post
Has anyone been able to find the mass gravesites were all the AR drivers were buried? Bob
There was nothing left to bury. Everything was vaporized when the dangerous gas tank exploded.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 09:14 PM   #10
portside

There is a special interest in the very early 1928's. Before you pass on this one check the engine number. You can get a idea as to how early this Model A is as to the month the car was built. This applies only if the engine is original to the car!
portside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 09:51 PM   #11
Ken Ehrenhofer

Talking Re: New to Model A hobby

I own a early 28 and have enjoyed it very much and I am still alive HOORAY!. Your car may have already been modified to have a separate emergency brake so like others have said get someone to check it out. Now how do you find that person and learn more about the Model A before making a purchase????? It is very easy Join the Model A Restorers Club and find out where your local region is located and start making some phone calls to members who will come out and help you. You might need to buy them dinner or at least a coke or something but you will find they are great people who will teach you about the Model A. Then you will make an informed intelligent decision when you buy your first Model A.
Call Model A Restorers Club at 734-427-9050 and Join and ask for the local region near you or a member in your same local area.
Good Luck and enjoy the greatest hobby in the world!
Ken Ehrenhofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 11:40 AM   #12
JohnLaVoy

I have driven an "AR" car over half the US with little problem. There are several here on the board familiar with them and can answer your questions.
JohnLaVoy is offline   Reply With Quote