Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-31-2015, 06:22 PM   #1
JHFORD51

Default 39 ford deck lid lock cyl removal

I'm sure this has been posted before but my search couldn't turn it up. How do I remove the lock cylinder from a 39 ford deck lid handle? I have the correct key and figure there should be a spring-loaded plunger to push in somewhere while I turn the key and extract the cylinder. The only hole I see on the rear of the handle is rather large and doesn't look it would contact the lock cylinder assembly...

V/R
Jason
JHFORD51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 11:56 AM   #2
FlatHeadCoupe

Default Re: 39 ford deck lid lock cyl removal

Jason,
Insert working key; rotate clockwise 85 to 90 degrees so that the groove of the key is facing upward toward the top of lock. Insert an ell-shaped rod or heavy wire behind the keeper bar at top of cylinder (less than an eighth inch) and depress the keeper pin down toward the groove in the key. Grasp the key and pull the cylinder out. Reverse procedure to re-install. Enclosed is a picture of the tool I use.
Regards,
FlatHeadCoupe
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Spec tool.jpg (30.4 KB, 15 views)
FlatHeadCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 12:50 PM   #3
COE Dan

Here's a couple of pictures to help you visualize what you're looking at inside. The pin is the cylindrical gray piece just in front of the tumbler pin cover and not covered by the stainless trim at the front.

One picture shows it extended and the other retracted. I don't believe it normally stays retracted as it is spring loaded but my NOS cylinder sticks slightly. If yours sticks, turning the key slightly will pop it back out.

I didn't think a need to send a picture of the front of the handle with the little opening as that should now be apparent what it's for on your handle.

Hope this helps.

Dan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Trunk lock cylinder with pin extended.jpg (33.4 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg Truck lock cylinder with pin retracted.jpg (30.9 KB, 42 views)
COE Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 06:03 PM   #4
32phil

With all due respect to COE Dan. I have never seen a spring loaded retaining pin. Every one I have is 'reset" by turning the cylinder. If you take one apart you will see the taper cut in to facilitate returning the pin to the locking position. In addition, I have seen some lock cylinders with the locking pin in the rear. Perhaps that's the style JHFORD51 has.
Old 02-03-2015, 09:33 AM   #5
COE Dan

32phil is more than likely right - thanks for setting me straight. I haven't dismantled one and, thinking about it now, it wouldn't make sense to spring load it as the pin would potentially jam when trying to install or remove the cylinder. Chalk my comment up to incomplete observation of one cylinder when putting it back in my car. Apologies to all if my claim sounded authoritative when I made the spring loaded claim.

Dan
COE Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 06:50 PM   #6
JHFORD51

Thanks for the replies. Peering in with flashlight (and trying to focus my eyes) from the large hole in the rear of the handle I can see below the pin and spring for the lock cylinder cover. The actual lock cylinder appears as the photo posted by COE Dan. I can also see from the front where the steel (under the "rustless steel" shell) is tabbed/indented to let the little knob/plunger seat. I have tried, with a succession of screwdrivers, inserted from the rear to mash this knob/plunger downward into the cylinder, while keeping the key turned 90 degrees, with no success. I have also tried a bent clip inserted from the front, while keeping the key turned 90 degrees, to mash the knob/plunger with no success that way. Simply turning the key 90 degrees and pulling doesn't do anything either. I will try to penetrating oil on the knob/plunger and see if that will loosen it up.
JHFORD51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 09:24 PM   #7
32phil

All the retaining pins I have seen are made of steel. They can and will rust in place. Flatheadcoupes' instruction are correct. You may have to tap the pin gently...soaking with penetrating oil first is a great start.
Old 02-03-2015, 09:44 PM   #8
JM 35 Sedan

How do you get the lock cylinder out of a 39 trunk handle it you do not have the correct working key to turn the lock ~ 90°?

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 08:04 AM   #9
FlatHeadCoupe

JM 35 Sedan,
PM sent.
FlatHeadCoupe
FlatHeadCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 11:08 AM   #10
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlatHeadCoupe View Post
JM 35 Sedan,
PM sent.
FlatHeadCoupe
Got it! Thank you!

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote