Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-29-2015, 07:28 AM   #1
FrankWest

Default 1933 standard spare tire cover

Were these spare tire covers originally fabric, with ford script on top?
I notice many replica parts dealers sell similar stretch covers.
FrankWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 08:12 AM   #2
CC33

Default Re: 1933 standard spare tire cover

I believe only the Model A's had the soft covers. The '33 had a 2 piece metal cover. Here's mine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0053.jpg (82.7 KB, 106 views)
CC33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 08:46 AM   #3
FrankWest

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC33 View Post
I believe only the Model A's had the soft covers. The '33 had a 2 piece metal cover. Here's mine.
Very nice! Nice trunk too...
Old 01-29-2015, 01:12 PM   #4
DavidG

Frank,

The '33 model year was the last one that Ford offered a cloth spare tire cover. It is the same design as that shown below for a '32 model. As you will note from the photo, there is a stainless steel band separating the face area and circumferential portion covering the tire tread as well as one defining the opening in the center. No reproduction with this sophistication has been made and finding an original is about as difficult as any Ford part of this era. It is, for example, far more difficult to find than the super-rare '33 glove box door clock. The Ford script and blue oval are embossed into the artificial leather fabric which itself has a very unique pattern on it surface that looks something like staggered diamonds

I'm not at my records that would indicate when, if ever, it was standard equipment on standard models, but it was available as a Ford-released optional accessory.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Book photos 299.jpg (113.8 KB, 76 views)
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 01:37 PM   #5
FrankWest

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
Frank,

The '33 model year was the last one that Ford offered a cloth spare tire cover. It is the same design as that shown below for a '32 model. As you will note from the photo, there is a stainless steel band separating the face area and circumferential portion covering the tire tread as well as one defining the opening in the center. No reproduction with this sophistication has been made and finding an original is about as difficult as any Ford part of this era. It is, for example, far more difficult to find than the super-rare '33 glove box door clock. The Ford script and blue oval are embossed into the artificial leather fabric which itself has a very unique pattern on it surface that looks something like staggered diamonds

I'm not at my records that would indicate when, if ever, it was standard equipment on standard models, but it was available as a Ford-released optional accessory.
This may be a question that is difficult to answer but did many people drive around in the day without any cover on the spare tire at all, Kind of like a suv or jeep or did just about everyone have a cover over the spare?
Old 01-29-2015, 03:02 PM   #6
V12Bill

I would think that in a rain/snow storm,extra hot/cold day/night, that many metal covers were left in disgust at the flat tire site.
V12Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 03:22 PM   #7
DavidG

Franki,

As the survival rate of metal covers such as those used in '35 and '36 are fairly high, not all of them were left at the side of the road. A lot of them likely remained unused in garages or attics or basements as they were a pain to remove and reinstall, with the likely exception of the '36 cover where only one set of hands is required to reinstall one, not two sets of hands like the others. The irony is that the fabric covers were relatively easy to remove and reinstall, but their material composition was no match for extended outside exposure.

In any event in answer to your question likely a couple of years after the cars were new the majority of their spare tires were no longer sporting their tire covers.
Old 01-29-2015, 03:44 PM   #8
Lawrie

an old ford guy told me when I got the 33 that I was very lucky to have the spare tyre cover,as the outside part made for great hotrod mudgaurds,and the inner flat piece made a great chicken feed holder.
Lawrie
Lawrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 04:17 PM   #9
FrankWest

Good to know. I don't have to feel like I am driving around with my pants off if I don't have a spare tire cover.
Old 01-29-2015, 04:31 PM   #10
mercman from oz

This is picture of the Spare Tyre Cover submitted by CC33 showing both Chrome Trim Rings.
mercman from oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 04:37 PM   #11
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankWest View Post
Good to know. I don't have to feel like I am driving around with my pants off if I don't have a spare tire cover.
Frank,

For what it is worth I run a later tread cover without a face plate on my '32. It is better to be half dressed than totally nude, sort off like pants and no shirt.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 04:39 PM   #12
mercman from oz

I cannot recall seeing many if any 1933 or 1934 Fords with these Spare Wheel Covers in Australia. I spotted this 1933 Ford Spare Cover for sale at a recent Swap Meet, but it had just been brought in from America.
Old 01-29-2015, 04:51 PM   #13
mercman from oz

[IMG][/IMG]
Spare Tyre Covers were not standard issue on 1935 Fords in Australia, as you can see by these pictures from the Australian Ford Brochure for 1935. It may be hard to see, but in the original, you can see the Tyre Tread. It is easier to see on the light coloured Roadster, as if it had a Tyre Cover, it would be body colour, and not black. So, if these Spare Tyre Covers were optional on the 1935 Fords, they would also have been optional on the 32, 33 and 34 Fords. That is why they are so rare in Australian these days.
Old 01-29-2015, 06:01 PM   #14
FrankWest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Stephens View Post
Frank,

For what it is worth I run a later tread cover without a face plate on my '32. It is better to be half dressed than totally nude, sort off like pants and no shirt.

Charlie Stephens
Good idea... Does the thread cover stay on by a clamp at the bottom that tightens it by friction around the thread?
Old 01-29-2015, 06:07 PM   #15
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
Good idea... Does the thread cover stay on by a clamp at the bottom that tightens it by friction around the thread?
The shape of the cover is such that you need to stretch them to get them on. They spring back and stay on.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 03:07 AM   #16
tiger.1000

Even more difficult to find here in the UK but with access to an English Wheel it is possible, although time consuming. The wrap around the tyre tread was made from eight pieces of 18g steel and the side wall of four.
The "stainless trims" made of convex section brass then chromium plated.

An over-centre catch secured the former to the wheel.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FORD.JPG (186.9 KB, 446 views)
tiger.1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 04:25 AM   #17
mercman from oz

I've enlarged it so everyone can see the excellent workmanship. You are an absolute Craftsman to make this part from scratch. Good work.
Old 01-30-2015, 07:20 AM   #18
koates

Hi there, A telegram dated seventh December 1933 sent to all US assembly plants stated that "A spare tire, lock and cover must be assembled and shipped with all passenger cars without exception. Tire lock bands to be enamelled the same color as tire cover." This is the two piece metal tire cover. Prior to that date it would appear that all tire covers were an extra cost option. Three types being available. Two fabric covers, one being a stretch type material for factory fitting on standard cars. The others being listed as accessories. A fabric cover with metal edged seems and a ford script at the top. And the two piece all metal cover. I remember seeing quite a few original 33 & 34 fords in the 1960s in Australia with their metal spare wheel covers still fitted on. My 34 coupe and 34 sedan both had their original metal covers. A reproduction vinyl Ford script 32-34 cover is available in tan or black from Macs and others for $36.00. So you wont have to feel so naked Frank. Regards, Kevin.
koates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 05:07 PM   #19
FrankWest

Quote:
Originally Posted by koates View Post
Hi there, A telegram dated seventh December 1933 sent to all US assembly plants stated that "A spare tire, lock and cover must be assembled and shipped with all passenger cars without exception. Tire lock bands to be enamelled the same color as tire cover." This is the two piece metal tire cover. Prior to that date it would appear that all tire covers were an extra cost option. Three types being available. Two fabric covers, one being a stretch type material for factory fitting on standard cars. The others being listed as accessories. A fabric cover with metal edged seems and a ford script at the top. And the two piece all metal cover. I remember seeing quite a few original 33 & 34 fords in the 1960s in Australia with their metal spare wheel covers still fitted on. My 34 coupe and 34 sedan both had their original metal covers. A reproduction vinyl Ford script 32-34 cover is available in tan or black from Macs and others for $36.00. So you wont have to feel so naked Frank. Regards, Kevin.
Thanks
Old 01-30-2015, 09:45 PM   #20
FrankWest

Is this the 1933 spare cover?
This spare cover is on a 1933 model B but it looks more like a 1932 cover? But then again what do I know? The other covers shown on this link look more ornate?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1933fordmodel_b - Copy.jpg (42.4 KB, 56 views)

Last edited by FrankWest; 01-31-2015 at 10:31 AM.
Old 01-30-2015, 10:01 PM   #21
DavidG

No, it's a '34 tread cover band and a '33-'34 face plate. A '33 is shown in mercman from oz's photo above. The difference is that the tread cover band has a stainless steel moulding on it as well as the one on the face plate shown in your photo.
Old 01-31-2015, 11:54 AM   #22
FrankWest

Quote:
No, it's a '34 tread cover band and a '33-'34 face plate. A '33 is shown in mercman from oz's photo above. The difference is that the tread cover band has a stainless steel moulding on it as well as the one on the face plate shown in your photo.
Great info.. I don't like the look of this one anyway it is a 34
I like the pure 33 one show on this post earlier with the band on the thread..looks more art deco.

Last edited by FrankWest; 01-31-2015 at 12:00 PM.
Old 01-31-2015, 12:14 PM   #23
DavidG

I'm glad that your car isn't Canadian-built as they had a very different steel face plate that covered up the spokes of the wheel and they are very hard to come by.
Old 01-31-2015, 02:42 PM   #24
FrankWest

Quote:
I'm glad that your car isn't Canadian-built as they had a very different steel face plate that covered up the spokes of the wheel and they are very hard to come by.
I have a serial "vin" number that according to the build dates in the 1933/34 ford restoration manual dates the car to july 1933. Didn't the caniadian builds have different number configurations?
Old 01-31-2015, 03:38 PM   #25
FrankWest

Here is a 1932 v8 deluxe with not spare cover....Looks good.
I guess if you have to drive without a spare cover make sure the spare is in prestine condition and not a beat up old tire. This picture taught me a lot...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ford1932v8deluxe.jpg (61.8 KB, 26 views)
Old 01-31-2015, 04:43 PM   #26
Ian NZ

I made the outside cover of three pieces of stainless steel which I shaped up on a wheeling machine and tig welded together and the inside face plate, I reshaped a later V8 one because I am running 5.50" -18" tires on our 32 Coupe. I copied the photo of a
B- 1395-A spare tIre cover in David Rehors book.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rear of Stables 1932 3W.jpg (93.5 KB, 42 views)
Ian NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 05:12 PM   #27
FrankWest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian NZ View Post
I made the outside cover of three pieces of stainless steel which I shaped up on a wheeling machine and tig welded together and the inside face plate, I reshaped a later V8 one because I am running 5.50" -18" tires on our 32 Coupe. I copied the photo of a
B- 1395-A spare tIre cover in David Rehors book.
Nice Work!
I am surprised with all the reproduction ford stuff out there that someone is not remaking these covers. We could always buy a trash can cover and pound it into shape. Or make a wood form and make a fiberglass cover. I guess it would be less work and cheaper to buy an original, when we can find one.
Old 01-31-2015, 05:42 PM   #28
DavidG

Apart from the task of finding an original, there is the minor matter that many of the tires available today are usually a half size wider (at least) across the tread and original covers simply won't fit. A good example is the B.F. Goodrich Silvertown 5.25/5.50 x 18 tire. The sidewall of that tire is the only one on the market that exactly duplicates its appearance 83 years ago and the tread design is also identical, but the tread is nearly 3/4" wider than the original version.
Old 01-31-2015, 06:16 PM   #29
FrankWest

Quote:
Apart from the task of finding an original, there is the minor matter that many of the tires available today are usually a half size wider (at least) across the tread and original covers simply won't fit. A good example is the B.F. Goodrich Silvertown 5.25/5.50 x 18 tire. The sidewall of that tire is the only one on the market that exactly duplicates its appearance 83 years ago and the tread design is also identical, but the tread is nearly 3/4" wider than the original version.
wow, I had no idea that things were that complicated.
with the thicker tire does this noticeably make it harder to turn the wheel, 40 years ago I drive my brother in laws covette and it was like steering a heavy tank, I believe that car had no power steering, but standard size tires.
Does anyone today sell the proper size "narrow" tire?
Old 01-31-2015, 07:22 PM   #30
Ian NZ

Quote:
That is why I made up the st/st cover to suit the 1932 - 5.50" X 18" spare wheel tyre as I knew I could not obtain one, I also made up a special st/st latch to clamp the cover on to the tyre as shown in the photo the other side of the strap.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Spare wheel set up.jpg (52.9 KB, 31 views)
Ian NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 08:04 PM   #31
FrankWest

Thanks gentlemen.. I will no longer look for a spar tire cover.. Why pay hundredths of dollars for something that will not fit?
Where can I purchase the goodrich silverton tires. These are standard tubee tires, right.
I wanted to purchase white walls after I get my car running or at least put a brand new tire on the back for show anyway.
Old 01-31-2015, 08:40 PM   #32
Steve Staysko

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercman from oz View Post

I've enlarged it so everyone can see the excellent workmanship. You are an absolute Craftsman to make this part from scratch. Good work.
O.K I want the Hand Singals Only rear plate where can I find one????
Steve Staysko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 09:31 PM   #33
koates

Frank, Just my opinion but I think your 4 cylinder standard sedan would look a little OVERDONE with white wall tires on it. I run standard Firestone 5.50 x 17" blackwalls on my standard 34 V8 sedan and they match the car better than whitewalls. Very few whitewall tires were ever fitted to new cars in the 1930s. The firestones run very nicely at any speed with no issues at all. Fords came with these when they were new and look correct for the times. Regards, Kevin.
Old 02-01-2015, 03:30 AM   #34
Bick in New Zealand

The "stainless trims" made of convex section brass then chromium plated.

How did you attach the trims to the plates ?

Model A's don't leak oil they just mark their territory.
Bick in New Zealand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 06:58 AM   #35
FrankWest

Quote:
Frank, Just my opinion but I think your 4 cylinder standard sedan would look a little OVERDONE with white wall tires on it. I run standard Firestone 5.50 x 17" blackwalls on my standard 34 V8 sedan and they match the car better than whitewalls. Very few whitewall tires were ever fitted to new cars in the 1930s. The firestones run very nicely at any speed with no issues at all. Fords came with these when they were new and look correct for the times. Regards, Kevin.
Good point!
Those big white walls really look the best on a big Buick or Packard.
Old 02-01-2015, 07:25 AM   #36
FrankWest

Quote:
Do you have a bare spare tire or covered? I guess any NEW clean tire and wheel would look good in the spare location.
Old 02-01-2015, 12:29 PM   #37
FrankWest

1933 Dillinger Stolen Getaway Car notice spare cover
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1933DillingerGetawayCar.jpg (20.2 KB, 56 views)
Old 02-01-2015, 06:01 PM   #38
koates

Frank, My 1934 fords have the two piece metal spare cover fitted at the rear. Like the above photo (1933) only 1934 without the stainless trim on the tread cover. They look good but are a bugger to get on and off. The correct way to remove the cover is to unmount the spare first and place on the ground on a mat and then remove the cover without scratching any paint. Likewise refit the cover on the ground an then refit the wheel to the car. Regards, Kevin.
Old 09-24-2016, 01:39 AM   #39
Randy in ca

Quote:
Were these spare tire covers originally fabric, with ford script on top?
I notice many replica parts dealers sell similar stretch covers.
Quote:
Frank,

Bringing up this old thread to post a picture of what I believe is an original 1933 fabric spare tire cover. It has the two stainless bands mentioned by David above.

An acquaintance recently took possession of this all original 1933 Standard 4 cylinder Fordor. It is a Canadian car which his grandfather purchased new. It was last licensed in 1965 and has been stored since then by a cousin of his who recently contacted him and said it was his if he wanted to haul it home from Washington state. He asked me to look things over and it didn't take long to have her fired up, lubed, etc. and ready for the road. I'll post more pictures soon and probably have a few questions as we continue to check things out. Any suggestions for a product or procedure to "un-petrify" this fabric spare cover? Or should we leave it alone?

-
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1933 Ford Fordor #2.jpg (107.5 KB, 156 views)
Randy in ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 02:23 AM   #40
mercman from oz

That is a very original looking 1933 Ford 4 Cylinder Sedan. Very nice.
Old 09-24-2016, 04:05 AM   #41
DavidG

That's an amazing survivor that I'd recommend leaving alone except for a gentle cleaning if required. Just removing it from the tire would put it at risk as its 83-year-old artificial leather (pyroxylin cloth) has likely lost all of its original flexibility.
Old 09-24-2016, 04:37 AM   #42
Kpar

I've been told that the first flat tyre you get the wheel cover on the spare will reside in the back seat until you get home. I know my 33 has a problem in centralizing the cover.
Kpar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 09:52 AM   #43
rockfla

Dave
This problem of tire size also presents a problem of the spare tire fitment in the wheel wells of the fender mount spares as well, right. We have found that "most" spares have to be deflated at best to even fit! Another "trick" if you will or "somewhat" solution for the outer SS trim ring for the 32's (anyway) is with an english wheel, a good touch and Model A outer SS ring and widen the ring somewhat at the outer edges (or a slight reshape of the profile if you will).
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 12:14 PM   #44
DavidG

Robert,

You're right, with a tread width of 4 5/8", the BFG 5.50 x 18 tire is a no-go for side mounted spares despite their other virtues. The available 5.25-5.50 x 18 Firestones are better with a tread width of 4 1/16", but the 1935 tread/sidewall design is a drawback.

If you can find them, the no-longer-made "Made In New Zealand" 5.25-5.50 x 18 Firestones have authentic sidewalls and tread and a tread width of only 3 7/8". They're the best bet as they will accommodate the reproduction Model A stainless steel outer band or an original '32 band without alteration. The also no-longer-manufactured "Made in U.S.A." Firestone 5.25-5.50 x 18s with the correct sidewalls and tread design are a second choice with a tread width of just under 4", but there again finding them is a challenge.

Back on topic (somewhat), there are no currently-available 17" tires for '33-'34s with period-correct tread and sidewall designs, but some like the Lesters with a tread width of 4 3/16" will easily accommodate original tire covers and for those who drive their cars, they're made with a far safer tread design than any other currently-available 5.50 x 17" tire.