Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-06-2012, 01:57 AM   #1
badbones

Default Rear brake drum wont fit over ebrake shoes why??

Im redoing completely the rear brakes down to even new rails. I have the drivers side done, but cant get the drum on. It slides on then stops about 3/4" from the back plate. I took a couple pics of the entire backing plate and then one of the ebrake where it meets the stops that are in the 2 oclock position. I noticed that one side of the ebrake does not contact the stop and theres just uner 1/4" gap. the other side touches. I put a piece of white paper on both sides of the stop to help visually.

From the pics, does it look like I have done anything wrong? and yes I know the cotter pins are not on the ebrake pins. I took them out to put on the other shoe with the same results.

should the ebrake touch both sides of the stop? If so how do I make that happen. I did adjust the rods as a test 4 turn in both directions and that did not change anything going either way.

any ideas hot to correct this? Im waiting now to do the other side. I do not have the old ebrake as I had to use it as a core.

The drum DOES slide on easily with out the ebrake installed

badbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 08:38 AM   #2
1931 flamingo

Default Re: Rear brake drum wont fit over ebrake shoes why??

Supposedly the new e/brake lining is thicker than the orig and that's why you're having trouble. Do a search here for remidies. Others will chime in I'm sure.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 09:00 AM   #3
steve s

It's the First Law of Restoration: Nothing fits!
steve s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 09:27 AM   #4
Jim Parker Toronto

Badbones, are you using new drums, or the old ones? Sometimes, with the over-sized E-brake linings, and a new drum that is not turned in this area, things don't fit! To compensate for this, either sand down the E-brake linings, or have the drums turned to fit. (9.640" should do it) The linings should be 5/32" not 3/16".
Jim Parker Toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 09:31 AM   #5
Tom Wesenberg

I replaced the E-brake linings on my A about 8 years ago. I don't recall having to sand them to make them fit, but on the 1930 AA I did the linings on, I had to sand a fair amount to make them fit. I used a belt sander and lightly went around the band until the drums slid on.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 10:48 AM   #6
pat in Santa Cruz

in your pic it appears as if the lead edge of the E brake band was sprung once, and it is not sitting on the center rest. Driving off with the E brake on can do this. You also do not say where the drums came from. The earliest cast drums had to have the E brake drum turned out about.010 to fit the band. I would measure the diameter of the band in a few places and compare it to the ID of the drum. If its small enough to fit, then address the warped band and try to get it more rounded to fit. If the OD of the band is too large, then shave the lining or have the drum turned.
pat in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 12:10 PM   #7
Tom Wesenberg

I see the end Pat mentioned.

Also the picture shows the band installed WRONG WAY OUT. You need to flip it over so the offset rests on the band carrier.
Old 02-06-2012, 01:10 PM   #8
badbones

Tom, I did try that both ways with the offsets and it didnt work either way but I will switch it around, its easy enough.

Pat, the drums are new. I am not sure if the ebrake was turned or not. I know the brake side was as the shoes wer arc to match. I dont understand what you mean by ebrake was sprung once. These were not my original ebrake shoes, but new ones and I had to turn in my old ones as a core. I see what you mean as its not seating on the stop. I tried everything I think to get this drim on and to get the edges touching the rest and evenly seat. I even played with the ebrake lever when i disconnected it from the rod. in the pic its connected to the rod.

so my options are?? sand the pads which I kinda dont like the idea of or have the ebrake on the drums turned??
Old 02-06-2012, 05:15 PM   #9
Old182

I bought a set of new drums from Snyder's in 2000 and didn't put them on until 2010 - don't like to rush into things..... Anyway, Pat's exactly right about the ebrake part of the drum not fitting over the lining on the early units. I had to sand a fair amount to get everything to fit, but it was well worth the work.
Old182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 09:10 PM   #10
Tom Wesenberg

Does the E-brake band fit tight to the carrier all the way around? Also the outer edge appears to be scraped a bit, not that that should stop the band from fitting.

Later I'll see if I have a band and carrier I can slip together.
Old 02-06-2012, 09:27 PM   #11
Fred K-OR

You mentioned the rods and it sounds like you have them hooked up???? If so maybe if you take them off and then try to put the drums on. Later hook up the rods.
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 11:10 PM   #12
pat in Santa Cruz

while sanding the lining might sound as if you will be wearing out the lining prematurely, its not. The E brake is really just a parking brake on an A. It locks against a static drum and holds the car on a hill. The lining does not wear against a moving drum, so it lasts a really long time. If you used the E brake to stop a moving car more than a few times, odds are you would damage it internally and have to repair it long before the lining would wear out. I've seen E brake carrier stops peeled back like a sardine can from stopping the car with them.

For many folks, sanding the lining is easier and less expensive. OTOH, turning the cast drums is fine if you have easy access to a drum lathe and will solve the problem if you have to reline them again. They are plenty thick to tolerate shaving off a few thous,
Old 02-06-2012, 11:28 PM   #13
Jim Parker Toronto

"For many folks, sanding the lining is easier and less expensive. OTOH, turning the cast drums is fine if you have easy access to a drum lathe and will solve the problem if you have to reline them again. They are plenty thick to tolerate shaving off a few thous,"

I agree with Pat on this, but if you paid money to have the drums turned, take them back and have him do the job properly...
Jim Parker Toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 03:02 AM   #14
Tom Wesenberg

One more check you could make is to check the included angle between the two links on the E-band as mounted on the carrier. Then remove the band and stick it inside the drum and measure the included angle. This will give you a measure of how far off it is. Then you can sand the lining or turn the drum until the angle matches the angle when it's mounted to the carrier.

If the band is tight to the carrier (tight as in SMALLEST circle) then, outside of the slightly upturned end on the band, everything on the backing plate must be OK and you'll have to sand the lining, or turn the drum a bit.

Last edited by Tom Wesenberg; 02-08-2012 at 04:56 AM.
Old 02-08-2012, 02:35 AM   #15
badbones

Just in case I will mention that I only have done the drivers side. I wanted to keep the passenger side on for reference just in case I needed it.

I also tried both drums and both will not slide over. I undid the ebrake rod and that did not help any.

Out of curiousity, I took the passenger side carrier and put a shoe on it and just used the springs to hold it in place. I then slid this into the drum and to my surprise it fit and I was able to turn it by hand, a lttle stiff, but was able to turn it. I then did this with both drums and pads using only the passenger side carrier and both slipped in and turned.

So why would this be? if the pads were to thick or the drums ebrake had to be turned, wouldnt they not fit or if they did, be hard to spin?

Could something be wrong with the drives side carrier? or is it possible to have installed it wrong where it may not be aligning properly? This weekend I plan on doing the passenger side and see if I have the same problem. I'm just baffled now.
Old 02-08-2012, 04:26 AM   #16
FlatheadTed

Send a message via AIM to FlatheadTed

Hers a example of a damaged parking brake Carrier .I agree the drums pictured here have the parking brake part of the drum to small, you can sand them as has been said. After sanding ,If the drum starts to enter onto the lining you can start the car and run it in gear, tighten up the axle nut as it frees up . you would need to lock one axle up to do this .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010983_0355.jpg (63.7 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg P1010994_0366.jpg (57.3 KB, 58 views)

Flathead Ted brake Floaters ,
FlatheadTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 01:46 AM   #17
badbones

UPDATE

As I may have mentioned I only started with the drivers side and left the passenger alone with the original parts still attached to the passenger side. When I did the divers side I did try both new ebrake shoes and neither would fit.

So I had both drums ebrake portion turned as well. I then tried the drums on the drivers side and STILL wont go on. I then decided to do the passenger side and to my surprise both drums easily slid on over the ebrake. WHAT THE HECK?? So I took of the drivers side baking plate and inspected it and it was fine. I redid all the work and again it would not slide on.

Well I found that I had 30-31 ebrake carriers on my 29. From my research this was a good thing. At wits end I figured it had to be the carrier. I inspected it and there was no damage or wear. I contacted a local A owner and he had a ebrake carrier. I tried this new one (used) and guess what, the drum slid on easily like the passenger side.

So this whole time the problem was the carrier. I cant say if the snyder pads were to thick since I did not do the passenger side prior ro turning since I did not want to mix up any parts.

I thank all those for the advise and hope this can help someone else.

By the way, Im thinking the carrier must have got really hot somehow and warped?? is this possible? It really does look fine which surprised me this was the problem.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:53 AM   #18
Pilotdave

Good news that you found the answer. Also a good reminder that the answer is sometimes (often?) not the 'obvious' one!
Pilotdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 10:27 AM   #19
pat in Santa Cruz

when the E brake is used too often to stop a moving car, the carrier is damaged due to taking the force of the band against the stops, which bends the carrier, eventually curling the stops back like a sardine can. Yours could have suffered from this. Its probably not round. The stop, where the ends of the band rest, is probably now a high spot.