Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-03-2016, 10:18 PM   #1
Admiral

Default "Older" Fords vs. "Newer" Fords

Maybe it’s winter boredom, or maybe I’ve already forgotten all the work and expense it takes to get one of these old cars back on the road, either way I’m starting to think of getting another project vehicle, not right now but perhaps in a couple years.

A few months back I asked for opinions about shoebox Fords (LINK). I love the look of these post-war cars, and a 1950 or ’51 tudor with overdrive would suit me just fine, especially a Mercury. Lots of you guys really seem to enjoy your Fords of this era.

Aside from these cars I also wouldn’t mind a ’46 to ’48 model, the final hurrah for the Henry-influenced models. Sure, they don’t have the art-deco elegance of my ’36 for instance but they’re roomier inside and have a REAL trunk. Along with the shoeboxes, these can be had for relatively little money, especially compared to a ’34 roadster or something similar!

Anyway, my question for you flathead experts is this, how do the last of the “Henry” Fords compare to the first of the next-generation models? Do the shoeboxes ride and handle noticeably better? Are the classic Fords sturdier or more nicely built? From driving, comfort and usability standpoints what differentiates them?

My fully restored ’36 is a joy to drive. The engine is silky smooth and responds instantly, the transmission shifts with ease and it even tracks like a railcar. My only drivability complaints have to do with its terrifying body roll while going through corners and the fact that, without overdrive, it seems like I’m hurting the engine at higher speeds (though I'm sure I'm not). I don’t have any issue with the older models so I'm not opposed to getting another one. What are your thoughts, other than that I’ve rambled long enough here …
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1936-Ford-01.jpg (81.9 KB, 147 views)
File Type: jpg 1936-Ford-02.jpg (73.4 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg 1936-Ford-03.jpg (54.9 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg 1936-Ford-04.jpg (41.7 KB, 56 views)
Admiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 10:31 PM   #2
Clem Clement

Default Re: "Older" Fords vs. "Newer" Fords

Keep and drive your 36!
Clem Clement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 10:43 PM   #3
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clem Clement View Post
Keep and drive your 36!
Oh no, I'm never getting rid of my '36!
Old 02-03-2016, 11:04 PM   #4
GB SISSON

But I know all too well the beckoning call from the junkyard, or craigslist, or your neighbor's uncle, or....... It's like a siren and I can't resist. My problem is I actually work on all of them.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 11:36 PM   #5
Ross F-1

I drove a friend's 50 coupe this summer, and was absolutely floored! Smooth, handled like on rails, and more power than seemed possible. The streamlined shape (relatively) really makes a noticeable difference. It was quiet as could be, too.
Old 02-04-2016, 07:08 AM   #6
tubman

I bought my '51 club coupe in 1987. It was a good running and driving original car. I went through it to correct a few minor flaws and drove it virtually every day in nice weather, even taking a trip from Minneapolis to Chicago and back. It never let me down. I had wanted a '36 3-window ever since I was in high school. In 1994, I found a restored driver quality car in Texas. I drove it back to Minnesota (a trip not without a few problems), and replaced the '34 engine and transmission in it with a rebuilt fully dressed 8CM, a rebuilt '39 transmission, and '39 brakes. I got the car they way I thought I wanted it, and drove if for a few years. At that time, a local guy made me an "offer I couldn't refuse", and I sold it. I still have the '51.

Bottom line? For the way I use these cars, the shoebox is vastly superior to a pre-war car for everyday use. Ford engineers were doing SOMETHING during those 15 years.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 07:52 AM   #7
Marv

You would love a 51 Ford. Of the early shoe boxes it had most of the defects corrected to eliminate most design problems and they handle better than any of the buggy spring Fords. A 51 with a 6 cylinder with overdrive would be my pick. The 6 has as much power as the V8 and no problems with blocks cracking and the engine over heating like the V8. I drove mine many miles when i was a young man and drove crazy. I road raced it against V8s, flathead and overhead cars and i usually won. I never had any trouble with it except i broke a drive shaft once. My fault.
Marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 08:41 AM   #8
flatheadfan

When looking at old iron and what to buy it ends up what you want to do with the car. I currently have a '35, '36 and a '51. I personally like the '35 and '36 for looks but in car shows the general population has no interest in them. Many people regard them as some sort of "funny Model A." The '51 is a different story. It draws a lot of interest wherever I go. It is comfortable to drive with lots of trunk and interior room. Yes, repairing is more complicated but parts are more readily available and affordable. If I had to take an extended trip the '51 would be my car of choice!

Tom
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 51-9.jpg (51.9 KB, 63 views)
flatheadfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 09:20 AM   #9
willowbilly3

I like the 49-51 but not the 2 door sedan. They look like a 4 door somebody welded the doors shut on.
willowbilly3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 09:21 AM   #10
tubman

FHF,

"Repairing is more complicated"? Well, I don't know; I have broken axles on both a shoebox and the '36. Fixing the '51 was a piece of cake compared to the earlier car. The same can be said for pulling a transmission or even an engine. I would be hard pressed to come up with a task that is substantially more difficult on a shoebox. I got rid of the '36 for two main reasons. First, the interior was too cramped for me, and second, after changing an axle on it, I decided I never want to see a torque-tube again.

willowbilly3,

You know, I never really thought about it before, but I agree with you. For an interim stop-gap, a '51 Victoria is about as good-looking as a shoebox gets.

Last edited by tubman; 02-04-2016 at 10:32 AM.
Old 02-04-2016, 09:35 AM   #11
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
FHF,

"I got rid of the '36 for two main reasons. First, the interior was too cramped for me, and second, after changing an axle on it, I decided I never want to see a torque-tube again.
As someone that's put a later-model transmission in my '36 I can tell you the torque-tube arrangement is quite a pain.
Old 02-04-2016, 09:37 AM   #12
flatheadfan

Tubman-

Mechanically, I see your point but have you tried to re-wire a shoebox?

Tom
flatheadfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 09:50 AM   #13
Seth Swoboda

I recently did some wiring harness repair on a '51 crestliner. I drove it too. The ride was very good and I thought the car handled really well. It actually surprised me when I first drove it. I was impressed. Look for a Crestliner model as they are a little more collectible.
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 10:29 AM   #14
tubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Swoboda View Post
I recently did some wiring harness repair on a '51 crestliner. I drove it too. The ride was very good and I thought the car handled really well. It actually surprised me when I first drove it. I was impressed. Look for a Crestliner model as they are a little more collectible.
You are correct about collectibility, but I find it odd that Ford decided to put the upscale trim package on their 2 door sedan, which in my opinion has a "clumsy" look about it. I have a book somewhere that shows a Ford prototype with Crestliner trim on a club coupe which looks a lot better to me.
Old 02-04-2016, 12:23 PM   #15
Chris

I bought an older resto 1953 Sunliner last summer. It was too good of a deal to pass up. It is WAY rommier and easier to drive. More comfortable too. I love early 30's Fords, but the Sunliner is probably my favorite driver. I'm getting ready to put an overdrive in it, which will make it even better. Not a 1949-1951, but a close comparison.

Old 02-04-2016, 12:35 PM   #16
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
Bottom line? For the way I use these cars, the shoebox is vastly superior to a pre-war car for everyday use. Ford engineers were doing SOMETHING during those 15 years.
Interesting. I'm hardly surprised they feel nicer but what makes them better? Less body roll? A smoother ride? Lighter steering? Can you elaborate?

Curiously, I find the ride quality of my '36 to be quite good, body roll notwithstanding. When I rebuilt the springs I coated them with graphite paint (LINK), which I suspect really improved their ability to deflect when you hit a bump. Come to think of it, I don't know that I've driven a car or truck that absorbs big road impacts as well as my old Ford. Hit a giant pothole or go over a washboard surface and the old solid axle just seems to tip-toe over it. I don't get; for something so crude it works really well in certain scenarios.
Old 02-04-2016, 01:09 PM   #17
Shoebox

I purchased my one owner 51 Tudor with flat 6 and straight 3 speed with 34,000 miles about 10 years ago. With independent front suspension and parallel rear leaf it drove really nice. I installed a '53 stroked 8ba to the original 3 speed, now even better. Finally I added a 3 speed OD trans and an aftermarket rear sway bar. This was the best all around "old car" I have had. If I came across a solid '50 or '51 Club Coupe I'd do it all again.

51 Ford Deluxe Tudor
32 Ford roadster
39 Mercury Towncar
Shoebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 01:18 PM   #18
Ken Bull

My driver for 19 years was a 40 Ford 1/2 ton Pickup (Farm Version) with 85hp V8 and 4 speed tranny & 60mpg speedometer. A rare truck - just over 400 made from what I could find out. Liked the Truch a lot-miss it at times. My 36 Ford Cabriolet runs good, rides smooth and to me is a Beauty. The 36 is a KEEPER! for me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 36 ford parts 019.jpg (65.6 KB, 21 views)
Ken Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 01:20 PM   #19
amodel25

I bought my '51 Deluxe 2 door in 1990. Since then, I have driven it over 40,000 miles (engine overhaul about 35,000 miles ago). Very smooth ride, steers and stops great. I agree with Marv, a six cylinder, overdrive 3 speed is the way to go. It's not exactly fair, but my other car to compare it with is a '31 Ford Town Sedan, a nice car but not near the comfort or "travelability". The '51 has a number of subtle mechanical improvements over the '50 and especially the '49 which makes it my shoebox of choice. Get the shoebox, but keep the '36.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2011LSN044.jpg (120.0 KB, 20 views)
amodel25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 01:31 PM   #20
Seth Swoboda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral View Post
Interesting. I'm hardly surprised they feel nicer but what makes them better? Less body roll? A smoother ride? Lighter steering? Can you elaborate?

Curiously, I find the ride quality of my '36 to be quite good, body roll notwithstanding. When I rebuilt the springs I coated them with graphite paint (LINK), which I suspect really improved their ability to deflect when you hit a bump. Come to think of it, I don't know that I've driven a car or truck that absorbs big road impacts as well as my old Ford. Hit a giant pothole or go over a washboard surface and the old solid axle just seems to tip-toe over it. I don't get; for something so crude it works really well in certain scenarios.
The shoebox fords drive more like modern cars. If you have ever driven other cars from the 1950's-1960's, the ride is more similar say compared to a prewar car. Every model year is somewhat of an upgrade. My 39 pickup drives better than my 31 model A and the '47 tudor drives better than the '39 pickup and so on.
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote