Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-04-2016, 01:37 PM   #21
Ross F-1

Default Re: "Older" Fords vs. "Newer" Fords

I think a lot of it is the lower center of gravity.
Old 02-04-2016, 03:04 PM   #22
tubman

Ross,

I think you're right. I put a set o Aerostar springs on my car a couple of years ago, which lowered the front about 2 1/2 inches. It feels more stable to me now. Another thing, these later cars are probably more likely to have radial tires. There was a noticeable improvement in handling with my car when I switched to radials.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 07:46 PM   #23
38 coupe

I find the 49-53 cars can steer heavier than the 37-48 cars. Some of the 42-48 cars drive very nicely but do have the same body roll as your 36. One of the best driving flatheads I have driven was my Dad's 40 sedan with radials. Staring in 40 with the column shift the cars got a lot quieter and more refined feeling (when in good condition). Still for the same condition the later cars are much nicer road cars. I like driving the 37 sedan I share with my Dad on local tours. I take my 53 sedan on cross country runs. Don't be shy of the late six cylinder cars either, they run quite well. You will want overdrive.
38 coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 11:55 PM   #24
Ardun

I have a 33, 34 and a 53. All are great in their own way. However, th 53 is more luxurious and rides well. Wouldn't trade any....
Ardun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 09:09 AM   #25
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
Ross,

I think you're right. I put a set o Aerostar springs on my car a couple of years ago, which lowered the front about 2 1/2 inches. It feels more stable to me now. Another thing, these later cars are probably more likely to have radial tires. There was a noticeable improvement in handling with my car when I switched to radials.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 38 coupe View Post
I find the 49-53 cars can steer heavier than the 37-48 cars. Some of the 42-48 cars drive very nicely but do have the same body roll as your 36. One of the best driving flatheads I have driven was my Dad's 40 sedan with radials. Staring in 40 with the column shift the cars got a lot quieter and more refined feeling (when in good condition). Still for the same condition the later cars are much nicer road cars. I like driving the 37 sedan I share with my Dad on local tours. I take my 53 sedan on cross country runs. Don't be shy of the late six cylinder cars either, they run quite well. You will want overdrive.
Great analysis of how Fords from these different eras perform. Either way I think I'll go with radial tires in the future.
Admiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 09:17 AM   #26
mhsprecher

Interesting thread.

When you think about the old transverse spring Fords, in my analysis, it is like the body is on top of a triangle: two connections to the axles and one at the top at the body. No wonder the body rolls on turns. The later cars have longitudinal leaf springs with two connections to the body on each side. It makes sense that the ride would be better, too, to say nothing of the independent front suspension.

That said, the ride in my Model A town sedan is quite good. The steering is a bear, though. The steering on my 39 sedan seems almost like power steering in comparison.
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 11:51 AM   #27
19Fordy

When it comes to steering, ride quality, braking, roominess and accessories the "newer" Fords are far superior to the "oldies". The elimination of the solid axle and the Lockheed brakes was also a HUGE improvement.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 02:45 PM   #28
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhsprecher View Post
Interesting thread.

When you think about the old transverse spring Fords, in my analysis, it is like the body is on top of a triangle: two connections to the axles and one at the top at the body. No wonder the body rolls on turns. The later cars have longitudinal leaf springs with two connections to the body on each side. It makes sense that the ride would be better, too, to say nothing of the independent front suspension.

That said, the ride in my Model A town sedan is quite good. The steering is a bear, though. The steering on my 39 sedan seems almost like power steering in comparison.
The transverse-spring arrangement fascinates me. In my opinion its works brilliantly on rough roads, washboard surfaces or when subjected to very large impacts, such as hitting a pothole head on. In my '36 you barely feel big bumps yet you'll notice every single expansion joint in the road. It's weird and contrary to what you'd expect.

As for steering, yes, I've driven a Model A and you practically need a bodybuilder's biceps to turn the car! They're very stiff, something they corrected with the later-model V8s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Fordy View Post
When it comes to steering, ride quality, braking, roominess and accessories the "newer" Fords are far superior to the "oldies". The elimination of the solid axle and the Lockheed brakes was also a HUGE improvement.
You're saying the Bendix brakes are better?

Also, I wonder what today's engineers could do with a solid front axle and transverse spring. If you told them to put this suspension under a Ford Fusion for instance would they be able to improve it at all or did Old Henry take this chassis arrangement as far as it could go?
Old 02-05-2016, 04:30 PM   #29
Seth Swoboda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral View Post
The transverse-spring arrangement fascinates me. In my opinion its works brilliantly on rough roads, washboard surfaces or when subjected to very large impacts, such as hitting a pothole head on. In my '36 you barely feel big bumps yet you'll notice every single expansion joint in the road. It's weird and contrary to what you'd expect.

As for steering, yes, I've driven a Model A and you practically need a bodybuilder's biceps to turn the car! They're very stiff, something they corrected with the later-model V8s.

Also, I wonder what today's engineers could do with a solid front axle and transverse spring. If you told them to put this suspension under a Ford Fusion for instance would they be able to improve it at all or did Old Henry take this chassis arrangement as far as it could go?
Do you remember the twin I-beam suspension ford trucks used to have? They used that set up for a long time.
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 05:03 PM   #30
flatheadmurre

Just using a parabel-type spring does wonder.
Its the friction of the spring that prevents it from doing a good job on small forces.
flatheadmurre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 06:33 PM   #31
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Swoboda View Post
Do you remember the twin I-beam suspension ford trucks used to have? They used that set up for a long time.
Oh yeah, I'd totally forgotten about the Twin I-Beam arrangement. From what I've heard (having never driven a vehicle so-equipped) they're indestructible but pretty harsh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatheadmurre View Post
Just using a parabel-type spring does wonder.
Its the friction of the spring that prevents it from doing a good job on small forces.
Hmmm, I've never heard of a parable-style spring before ...
Old 02-05-2016, 07:08 PM   #32
flatheadmurre

Check modern trucks with leaf springs.
http://www.volvodemort.com/technical...p72/index.html
Another variation of the theme is inserting slider pucks in the spring.
All to reduce friction between the leafs.
flatheadmurre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 02:47 AM   #33
vilanar

I used to have single leaf springs from Posies in my ´55 F-100 they worked great.
I have a´50 Convertible and with heavier sway bar and lovered suspension it is great
car to drive , far better that those new "rice cups" that are blocking the roads nowadays.
I have taller gears at rear end so it will go nice and easy at highway speeds.
It actually surprises me how great cars they made in that lower price class.
vilanar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 04:02 AM   #34
19Fordy

Yes.
Old 02-07-2016, 12:32 PM   #35
38 coupe

The best brakes I have experienced in a stock flathead Ford was the 40 sedan I mentioned earlier. Stock Lockheed brakes except the wheel cylinders. We used 42-48 passenger car front wheel cylinders and 39-41 3/4 ton rear wheel cylinders. The brakes were exceptional. The brakes on my 53 sedan do not compare. The Lockheed brakes require more attention to detail when adjusting them, but work just as well at the Bendix brakes in my experience.

Last edited by 38 coupe; 02-08-2016 at 09:30 PM.
38 coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 12:56 PM   #36
19Fordy

Here's an interesting comparison of Lockheed and Bendix brakes and why Bendix is better.
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showth...1451&showall=1 and
http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/chassis...system-basics/