Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-28-2023, 07:56 AM   #1
Terry Lindsey

Default 1940 Ford big boy seat base

I just joined the group and was hoping for some help. I’m in Southern California and building a barn find 1940 Ford Big Boy truck. I’m trying to make it look original and want to use the in cab fuel tank (new) but really need a diagram showing measurements of the seat base or seat riser. Hopefully one of you can help. This will upset some of you purists but here goes: When I bought this it was sitting on a chopped Excursion chassis and in pretty bad shape. Once dismantled I realized the chassis was junk and tossed it. I located a rollin chassis for a 1955 Chevy 3100 complete with running drive train and brakes for cheap. I decided to see if I could fit the Ford onto it. Obviously I had to do a few modifications such as body and bed mounts, fire wall mods for the steering column and brake/clutch pedals, etc (still doing this by the way), but all in all, it’s working out. My biggest concern was the difference in the wheel base on the Chevy vs Ford. The Chevy is 5” longer. I considered shortening the chassis but that would have entailed altering the driveline, exhaust (already installed), brake lines etc. My cheap solution was to simply fabricate a filler extension for the running boards. It actually is coming out pretty good. This will not be a show truck by any means. It’s just a project and a challenge to see if I can pull this off. I’m teaching myself how to weld and do bodywork as I go and getting better and better as I progress (thank god for YouTube). I’ll even paint it if I live long enough. I’m 71 and retired so this is just a hobby and enjoying the challenge.

Last edited by Terry Lindsey; 11-28-2023 at 08:00 AM. Reason: Misspelled words
Terry Lindsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2023, 08:56 AM   #2
RKS.PA

Default Re: 1940 Ford big boy seat base

Terry, welcome to the Ford Barn!! At the risk of jumping to a conclusion here, I'm not sure this is the best venue for the information you're looking for in putting your project together. Given the collection of parts you're using and the success you're having with welding and bodywork, I'd be tempted to mock up some material for the seat you're using and "wing" it. While I've been gas welding since I was 14 (now 80), I, too, wanted to learn to arc weld and did at the tender age of 71 by taking a 3 day course that was worth every penny!!

Best of luck with your project and hopefully maybe some better minds will chime in here.

Regards,

Dick.
RKS.PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2023, 02:10 PM   #3
Gene F

Always nicer to have options, so here goes. On my streetrod I bought seat risers from Yogisinc
Gene F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2023, 06:40 PM   #4
Terry Lindsey

Thanks for the input and that’s probably the route I’ll go. As far as welding goes I just do mig cuz that’s what I have.
Old 11-28-2023, 06:41 PM   #5
Terry Lindsey

Thanks I’ll check it out
Old 12-11-2023, 10:06 PM   #6
Lanny

Hi Terry, good for you, that you drug a 1940 Ford truck
out from "rotting away" in a barn, and getting it back on
the road. I hope you get lots of enjoyment out of it.

Last edited by Lanny; 12-24-2023 at 03:39 PM.
Lanny is offline   Reply With Quote