Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-01-2013, 09:04 PM   #1
Rich-CO

Default '32 V-8 Engine Bearings

Hello all----I'm putting together a '32 V8 engine. The rod bearings that I have are aftermarket from back in the day. They are made entirely of aluminum. They are very light in weight. Anyone have experience with this type of bearing? Are these ok to use or am I asking for trouble?
Rich
Rich-CO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:56 PM   #2
Walt Dupont--Me.

Default Re: '32 V-8 Engine Bearings

Well Rich, I guess if they are made for 32-38 flathead they should work all right. Have you ever fitted those full floating bearings? There easy to do, don't get scard to do it. I can tell you how to do it if you have a problem. Walt
Walt Dupont--Me. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:22 PM   #3
Rich-CO

Walt---Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure what you mean by "fit". I have checked the clearances and they are at spec. What else do I need to do?
Rich
Rich-CO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 08:18 AM   #4
Walt Dupont--Me.

I like to show people how to do this rather than trying to type it, but I'll try. Just take a bearing half and set it on the crank, usually you have to push it down before it's free on the crank. If it a little tight lay the shell on the bench upside down and take a rubber hammer hit the shell to spread it a little, when you get it set on the crank and it turns easy I then take mic or a calaiper rule will work and measure across the outside of the shell by the parting line. It should measure the same as the housing bore of the rod or a whisker smaller. I'm trying to remember the housing bore size but I'm in the house with first cup of coffee, I'm thinking 2.120. I could go out in the shop and check but it's snowing and cold and I'm snug as a bug in rug in the house. After you've done a couple you'll see there is nothing to it. I've seen people say that they took all day to fit them. You can do the whole set in 10 min. once you quite being scared. Walt
Walt Dupont--Me. is offline   Reply With Quote