Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-20-2012, 05:22 PM   #21
jimTN

Default Re: Replacing axle seals 39 ford

As far as you are down, its not that much more trouble to pull both housings and do the job right, replacing the inner seals. Every rear I have been into has enough clearence from being used to go back together with silicone sealer instead of having to play with paper gaskets. Never had one fail doing it that way. If it was new bearings, that would be a different thing. I also keep the "quick fix" external inserted seals on hand for emerg. fixes and bought them about three years ago for a lot less than $32 per pair. Got them from someone on the west coast I read about.
jimTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 11:08 AM   #22
TomO

$6 Chief, Go to the auto parts store and buy a seal puller. Put the short end into the seal and pry out the old seal.
Old 02-21-2012, 11:42 AM   #23
ford38v8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimTN View Post
As far as you are down, its not that much more trouble to pull both housings and do the job right, replacing the inner seals. Every rear I have been into has enough clearence from being used to go back together with silicone sealer instead of having to play with paper gaskets. Never had one fail doing it that way. If it was new bearings, that would be a different thing. I also keep the "quick fix" external inserted seals on hand for emerg. fixes and bought them about three years ago for a lot less than $32 per pair. Got them from someone on the west coast I read about.
JimTN, my father taught me to do a job right or go join a union.
Old 02-21-2012, 11:29 PM   #24
46Chief

Thanks V12Bill. That makes perfect sense! Does taping on the axle bearing do any damage to the bearing in case you were going to reuse them?
46Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 05:12 AM   #25
fortyonerag

Apols for digging up an old thread. The thread mentions quick fix axle seals inserted from the outside when the drum is off.

Is there a source for the external quick fix seals?

Seems like the type of item that would be repopped.

I'm planning a rebuild of the 41 diff when recently depleted funds have been restored and it would be nice to have something on hand until then.
fortyonerag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 06:32 AM   #26
JM 35 Sedan

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fortyonerag View Post
Apols for digging up an old thread. The thread mentions quick fix axle seals inserted from the outside when the drum is off.

I'm planning a rebuild of the 41 diff when recently depleted funds have been restored and it would be nice to have something on hand until then.
I posted pictures of these so called "external quick fix seals" on a more recent thread, and as it turned out there are, or were, two types of quick fix seals. This topic has come up frequently in the past whenever folks inquire about ways to avoid completely dismantling a banjo rear to replace the inner axle housing seals.
Also, as I read this complete thread, which began in 2010, it appears the topic was switching back and forth between two completely different seals. The OP began this thread talking about replacing inner axle housing seals, and then some began discussing replacing drum/hub grease seals,...two completely different seals and/or topics.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 06:37 AM   #27
PeteVS

As I understand it, the "inner" seal (where you have to tear down the entire differential) is there to keep gear oil out of the bearing. The "outer" seal (that's mounted in the hub) is there to keep bearing grease out of the brakes. Perhaps the OP was looking at the wrong seal as the culprit in his problem?
Old 07-17-2017, 06:54 AM   #28
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteVS View Post
As I understand it, the "inner" seal (where you have to tear down the entire differential) is there to keep gear oil out of the bearing. The "outer" seal (that's mounted in the hub) is there to keep bearing grease out of the brakes. Perhaps the OP was looking at the wrong seal as the culprit in his problem?
That's very possible. In many cases low temp chassis grease was pumped into the drum/hub bearing using the external zerk fitting instead of repacking these bearings with fiber filled wheel bearing grease. The low temp chassis grease will seperate at elavated temperatures, and the oil in the grease will wind up inside the drum area and on the brake components. Sometimes this oil is thought to be gear oil from the banjo.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
Old 07-17-2017, 02:33 PM   #29
Gary in Mozarks

The seals I bought from the guy were aftermarket items made to keep the rear end oil in the rear end. Just an easier installation. I installed them, which was simple and nothing has driped since then but I have not driven the truck yet.
Gary in Mozarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 03:29 PM   #30
grumppyoldman

Since there is a grease zerk located in the rear axle housing, what keeps the grease from going into the bango rear end. Looks as if the seal were turned toward the drum end of the axle it would force the grease to the wheel bearing and prevent it from going the wrong direction? Would just like to know since I'm doing my 41 rear end now. Al
grumppyoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 06:42 PM   #31
PeteVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumppyoldman View Post
Since there is a grease zerk located in the rear axle housing, what keeps the grease from going into the bango rear end. Looks as if the seal were turned toward the drum end of the axle it would force the grease to the wheel bearing and prevent it from going the wrong direction? Would just like to know since I'm doing my 41 rear end now. Al
The inner seals on the axles are intended to keep differential oil out of the bearings. At the same time, they allow over pressure bearing grease to flow into the differential instead of being forced past the outer seals and into the brakes.
Old 07-17-2017, 08:11 PM   #32
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortyonerag View Post

Here are some previous posts on this subject that might help.....

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...o+rear+rebuild

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...Rear+axle+seal

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...o+rear+rebuild

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 07-17-2017 at 08:18 PM.