Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-07-2017, 01:15 PM   #321
jerseyboy

Default Re: Truck based woody

Looks great GB. If your looking for blind nuts, check out this place. Click on the catalog button to the right.
http://www.ccrod.com/
I'm gonna be ordering some for my wagon.

Keep V-8ing and 4-banging!
Hooked up on it now.
I tried to hook another
To see if I'd do a little good,
But ain't no place to put it
'Less I perforate the hood.

Wanted, lower side sections of 32 radiator cowl.
jerseyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 03:35 PM   #322
Mart

The latest pics look great, GB. Nicely thought out.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 11:49 PM   #323
GB SISSON

Thank you guys. I found time today to assemble the rear 'barn doors'from the parts I milled up yesterday. Hoping to get them ready to install for the weekend. Then I'll have a rather complete shell and maybe I'll get everything to latch before doing more mechanical work. I'm really looking forward to warmer spring weather. March can be the start of it in the Pacific Northwest.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg woodie barn doors assembled 003.jpg (53.7 KB, 61 views)
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 12:16 AM   #324
hotcoupe

GB, I've been following along with your construction project, alot of nice details and quality workmanship. I like the offset with the stiles and rails, adds I nice shadow line and visual interest.
Tom
hotcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 10:41 AM   #325
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotcoupe View Post
GB, I've been following along with your construction project, alot of nice details and quality workmanship. I like the offset with the stiles and rails, adds I nice shadow line and visual interest.
Tom
I see a lot of these offsets in production built woodies. I know that with driving on rough roads and uneven surfaces, which is the norm in my area, the joints will not hold up the same as on stationary furniture. That shadow line will help to keep it looking good. I'm hoping the joinery and modern flexible polyurethane adhesives will allow the body and components some flex. You will notice that the door in the foreground has a wider vertical stile on it's right side. This will have a rabbet cut into it to correspond with another on the right side door. I noticed that on my '99 suburban as well as my '47 tonner panel, the right side door is opened first, then unlatch the left door.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)

Last edited by GB SISSON; 02-08-2017 at 10:49 AM.
Old 02-08-2017, 11:02 AM   #326
Mart

^^Interesting note on which door opens first. I had never thought about that, but the small ford van I had had the right door opening first. I wonder if it is because the majority of people are right handed, and that feels more natural??

Mart.
Old 02-18-2017, 05:49 PM   #327
GB SISSON

Like I've been saying , we are swamped at work so now I got to order tires because I'm flush again. 6.50 x 16s, the rear tractions from Miller Tire and the front hwy tread somewhere else. Tubes from Miller. Digging through my collection of correct wheels, I'm glad I have hoarded wheels and tires all my life. ... On another front, I got to do a test fit of my rear barn doors today. I think they will work out OK. This woodie is being built in the more simplistic style of the pre-war wagons with mostly squared off corners so I opted for simple window treatment. I want these barn doors well sealed as I hate exhaust fumes stinking up the trip, therefore I try to stay one step ahead of how they will be weatherstripped.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg woodie barn doors on 025.jpg (62.0 KB, 125 views)
File Type: jpg woodie barn doors on 037.jpg (48.0 KB, 124 views)
File Type: jpg woodie barn doors on 041.jpg (53.2 KB, 121 views)
Old 02-18-2017, 06:32 PM   #328
40cpe

Great work! We'll be watching it on Barrett-Jackson in the future.
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 09:56 PM   #329
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40cpe View Post
Great work! We'll be watching it on Barrett-Jackson in the future.
If I was to sell it, it would be at a loss..... I do this for the love of it, at least that what I tell myself.
Old 02-18-2017, 11:43 PM   #330
RalphM

That sir, is a work of art! I can appreciate beautiful wood work. I never had a knack for it, but my Dad is a pattern maker, and wood is his hobby, I grew up around quality wood working and yours is fantastic!
RalphM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 10:32 AM   #331
'36 5W

I second the motion; looks great!
'36 5W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 11:36 PM   #332
GB SISSON

My retired buddy will be leaving for an extended vacation soon. We looked at the ash veneers he had and certain factors didn't add up . He had a nice stack of premium birch veneers so we decided to go with them. After seeing the photo Kube posted today I was sure I would like the birch with the green painted sheet metal. I have a vacuum veneer press similar to his, but he's made his living with veneers and I have always worked with solid stock, so I wanted to use his expertise before he leaves. I pulled out all my inset panels after work today, leaving only skeletel remains. It looks pretty sad but I will post the Kube photo for inspiration. It's never fun to go backwards.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nekkid woodie and sub seat 035.jpg (76.0 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg nekkid woodie and sub seat 040.jpg (71.5 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg Green 40 Woodie Kube.jpg (77.7 KB, 97 views)
Old 02-22-2017, 08:48 AM   #333
Mart

Sometimes you have to go a little backwards so you can go forwards.

Great progress overall. the back doors with the new sill look very nice.

Mart.
Old 02-22-2017, 01:54 PM   #334
38bill

I think it looks great in it's bare bones.
38bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 02:09 PM   #335
burnette

hi gary ! i think i got it. nice work
burnette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 03:48 PM   #336
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnette View Post
hi gary ! i think i got it. nice work
Great to see you here burnette. (He's and old friend from 'ford truck enthusiasts' with various questions about his rebuild of a 59ab) . Fire away with your questions, like I said there are lots of really experienced, lifetime flathead builders hanging around this joint!
Old 02-23-2017, 06:11 PM   #337
burnette

thanks for the nice welcome gary . i will be doing some reading and checking pictures now that i can see them and questions will come soon. only problem is i,m log in from our shop.
burnette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 11:59 PM   #338
GB SISSON

Got my 'blonde' birch panels veneered and set in place. It looks different but I wanted it to be not so showey but more commercial vehicle.. For yucks I went to google images and entered 1940 ford woodie because the body I made was much more based on a '40. And 30 of the first 50 pictures had the light wood panels, not the mahogany. Might be the weekend before I get photos because of work.
Old 03-01-2017, 11:21 PM   #339
GB SISSON

Birch panels just set in place so I can see what they look like. You can see I started with a pretty nice cowl. After engine/drivetrain/brakes etc I will assembly my better sheet metal parts into a decent front clip. The parts I have aren't perfect, just better. I am no body and fender guy by any means.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nelson bed and maple panels 038.jpg (68.0 KB, 89 views)

Last edited by GB SISSON; 03-01-2017 at 11:39 PM.
Old 03-23-2017, 07:40 AM   #340
jerseyboy

GB,
Are you interested in another project? I don't know how close this is.

1941 Chevrolet Woodie Station Wagon Project - $19000 (Bainbridge Island https://seattle.craigslist.org/kit/cto/5936312559.html

For sale - locally-based 1941 Chevy Campbell-bodied Woodie Station Wagon project -- extremely rare car and it's all here. We combined a previously restored Southern 4-door sedan donor plus the original woodie into a single car. It's a project -- original drivetrain and chassis with all the wood removed -- it's all there and some of the woodie is refinished. Seats restored to original, includes all the woodie-only parts plus some accessories. Some of the chrome is also redone. We have lost our storage and work space. Contact for details. $22,000 or best offer. We have a more complete description document with some additional photos and can send that to truly interested parties - thanks.

Hooked up on it now.
I tried to hook another
To see if I'd do a little good,
But ain't no place to put it
'Less I perforate the hood.

Wanted, lower side sections of 32 radiator cowl.
jerseyboy is offline   Reply With Quote