Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-20-2016, 09:32 AM   #1
Fred A

Default LA Roadster Show Swap In Decline?

I've been doing the Father's day swap for quite some time and always find it to be an event well worth the hype connected to the "shiney roadster" slant to the event's theme. Partly due to the fairplex expansive size, the event is trending toward at least two if not three events. For purpose of the description, the "shiney roadster" show is at least that with the lustrous beauties representing the club's strict definition, which is only a shadow of my more traditional definition. Then there is the high dollar presentations of the 'big guys" of the rodding and restoration industry. Even as a conservative to the car culture, clearly we depend on them to produce and reproduce our needs and wants. In a convoluted way these guys actually hold down prices, but that's another argument. Finally to my beloved swap. The swap is set at a significant distance from the world of hype, glitz and industry. Between the swap and the other two is a vast no-man's-land making the treck from one area to the other an additional test of endurance. There is a nice tram connecting the magic kingdom (pl). Flagging one down as they zoom by not so easy. Since there are two ways to enter the events, those coming in at the show/expo end are faced with an additional march to reach the closest corner of the swap meet. The swap does occupy most of the generously allotted field, which seems odd that so much stress is involved in being first in the line, but those 'sooners' do crowd around the near corner to catch the last gasp of energy and bucks from those who dared to cross the no-man's-land. For the past few years there have been significant yearly changes in the event organization, not all have been to the general detriment of the swap meet. Of late it is practical for the public and swappers to park at the swap-extreme of the Fairplex and enter there. Then why question a decline? The virtual isolation that increases each year at some tipping point may put the Father's day swap among other greats like the diminished Long Beach T meet. Hope that the golden goose is a tough bird. Thanks: Fred A
Fred A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 10:47 AM   #2
zzlegend

Default Re: LA Roadster Show Swap In Decline?

I went. And except for the 20 dollar entry fee and the 10 dollar beer, I still enjoy the swap meet. I don't make it to the Roadsters since they all look alike or the Vendors unless there is something I am looking for. Do I see a decline? No. And a person does have a choice. To go or not to go.
zzlegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 05:14 PM   #3
waterboychuck

I used to go when I lived in the area. The best part was my wife couldn't bitch about going as it was on Fathers day. I always enjoyed the show.
Old 06-20-2016, 05:33 PM   #4
bobH

I went... I don't see any decline. If there was a decline, I would have said it was 3 or 4 years ago, when I thought it was dead. This year, lots of swappers, pretty good crowd spending. I sold a car, cash deal, on the spot.
Aside from what one might think of the prices, I go as a swapper, whether I have swap material or not. I pay the price, get the whole weekend included, and get to park with swappers, which is where my friends are. I rarely venture into the show, and sometimes go into the preferred parking area to see friends.
It's become somewhat of a tradition for me... half day Friday, most of Sat, and nothing on Sunday. Sometimes I include Chapouris place Friday late afternoon, and Waldons in the evening. SoCal attendance seemed to be down this year.
I never saw anyone from the barn.
bobH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 09:59 PM   #5
Mike in AZ

i thot the swap meet was larger than 2 years ago, when i last went.....walked my feet off....lol.....didn't buy anything but lots to look at.....saw Tom T's '32 at the show and at Sp-Cal.....met Hamtown Al(Al Casteen) which was fun.....long day at the show.....Mike
Mike in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 06:59 PM   #6
bluardun

Fred; thanks for the post regarding the L A Roadster swap meet. Good observation regarding the swap meet. I don't think it's a decline, but the evolution of our hobby.
There are a few factors that make this swap meet much better than most. The decline or evolution of the event is the quality of the parts. The fact that the good stuff has been consumed, hoarded, or the people that have it have become to elderly to attend a swap meet. The line to get in needs to be improved, and the vast empty area between the swap meet and the Roadster area should be eliminated. Maybe a letter to the club with your suggestions would be a good idea. Thanks for the L A Roadsters for having such a wonderful event. I'll be there again next year.
bluardun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 07:34 PM   #7
Krylon32

The thing that stuck out to me was the general lack of foot traffic from late Saturday morning on but I think that was because of the heat. I saw lots of nice parts, Missed a Auburn dash sheet metal part for 500.00. I looked at the roadsters but they seem to be the same every year and the display building was not as full although there were most of the usual suspects displaying their wares. This was my 25th or 6th year and I still keep coming from Nebraska to be there by Thursday so I can come home Sunday and Monday always saying (I think this is my last year??)
Krylon32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 08:42 PM   #8
Carl

I think its still a great show & swap, even though its not what it used to be(but what is?). I didn't make it this year but last time I went & while waiting in line to get in, I saw people already inside roping off spaces, before swapper entry was open. This doesn't seem fair to me. I think the club should do more for the people who still load up & bring parts to the swap meet, some from far away, sit in line(s) for hours, & pay a good price for a spot(s). ....just my 2 cents.
Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 10:29 PM   #9
1oldtimer

I went, parked in the specialty area, brought a lunch, drank LOTS of water, walked all day and loved it. I didn't get much, I walked the swap twice and didn't make it to the show area. We waited out traffic until about 6pm (I re adjusted the steering box in the parking lot under a tree). Girlfriend liked it and we took her Studebaker Lark wagon.

Only problem I would say is the security personnel, almost every year there's some problem with getting people into the swap/spectator/specialty area. It looks like even the Roadster club was arguing with them. The one year they had it right was to let the three groups form their own lines and not one big blob of chaos... like this year.
1oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote