Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-04-2011, 08:41 AM   #1
32Gnu

Default Torque tube mount grease fitting

Should have took a picture before I took it apart...

Does the grease fitting on the u joint cover go on the bottom or the top?

Also when you grease it do you pack that whole cavity with grease?

Thanks guys...
32Gnu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 09:35 AM   #2
Lawson Cox

Default Re: Torque tube mount grease fitting

Fitting should go on bottom where you can get to it. Yes, pack the whole U joint with low melt grease, such as CV joint grease.
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 12:49 PM   #3
David J

Smile Re: Torque tube mount grease fitting

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32Gnu View Post
Should have took a picture before I took it apart...

Does the grease fitting on the u joint cover go on the bottom or the top?

Also when you grease it do you pack that whole cavity with grease?

Thanks guys...
You didn't state what year you're working on but if you are wondering whether top or bottom on the grease zerk you aren't working on a 33-34 as it is on the side with them . Second WHY NOT let this work as designed and let tranny fluid lube everything forward of seal B-4245 ? The rear tranny bearing is designed to leak a little for this reason . I personally pour about a half cup of gear lube in through the speedo cap hole if it has been apart to get it well lubed until tranny fluid seeps past the rear baffle . This also lubes the brake equalizer { ever wonder why there aren't any zerks on this ? } much like old Harleys and chain oiling . Ever wonder why you are always adding a little dit of tranny fluid ? Yeah I know this subject is a can of worms with MANY different opinions but in my opinion this is right . David J

Last edited by David J; 01-25-2012 at 01:25 PM. Reason: fix boo boo
David J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 02:17 PM   #4
32Gnu

Its a 32.. so grease with a thicker grease.... I dont understand what the tranny has to do with with the grease other than it may leak into the u joint cavity.. seems like the grease will get hot and make a mess but we shall see... When adding the grease will it show itself when it fills up? Like other greased parts?
32Gnu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 02:54 PM   #5
Ed Solari

The oil for the area inside the ball and socket can't be too thin due to leaks. In an earlier thrend many said to use Deere cornhead grease BUT some discussions said the Deere stuff was viscosity 0 and some said 00 and to use 00. Cornhead is only 0 urea based. I found Chevron makes a grease in both 0 and 00 (lithium based) I but both in a jar and the 0 and corn head just "stood there" the 00 actually slumped. The claim is the cornhead will flow with the heat/motion of the shaft and universals ... not sure about the Chevron. 0 ... I am looking to use 00 to insure the universal gets max lube. ANY thoughts?????

The original ford spec called for motor oil mixed with sodium tallow.... no proportions provided. I do not think the grease mixing with the tranmission oil is an issue. After all when the seals wear thin the differential oil can mix with the rear bearing grease.
Ed Solari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 03:59 PM   #6
David J

I brought the rear transmission seal thread up again as this is kinda the same . The most worn out u-joint , speedo gear and front driveshaft bearing I have seen were in a car that had the packed in grease thing done to it . The u-joints in these cars have bushings - not bearings and gear lube is going to do the best job of lubricating them . SEE THE OTHER THREAD
Old 03-04-2011, 04:05 PM   #7
Bruce/Texas

Does the baffle adjacent to the rear trans bearing (just forward of the U-joint) spin with the shaft?
Bruce/Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 05:05 PM   #8
David J

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce/Texas View Post
Does the baffle adjacent to the rear trans bearing (just forward of the U-joint) spin with the shaft?
YES and it is in front of the rear tranny bearing . This is designed to leak a little and the fluid that gets through to lube the rear bearing ends up in the u-joint cavity and then lubes the u-joint .speedo gears and front driveshaft bearing . seal B-4245 is behind the front driveshaft bearing .
Old 03-04-2011, 08:33 PM   #9
David J

Talking Re: Torque tube mount grease fitting

Anyone have any info on the viscosity of " cylinder oil soda soap grease " I have always assumed it was fluid and that the soda soap part had something to do with cling . I did find some info telling you to use 140W with bearing type u-joints . Lawsons idea of using cv-joint grease will probably work just fine as will cornhead grease for the u-joint but remember the speedo drive stuff and the front driveshaft bearing are in the same cavity and a fluid lubricant will work better there . Another thing to consider is compatability of lubricants as the tranny is going to add oil to the u-joint cavity whether you want it to or not . Lube from the u-joint cavity can also get into the tranny . If you put all tranny fluid { i use 140W } in to the tranny and u-joint cavity you have none of these issues . The 32-34 torque tube bells are one piece and I always put the seam in the cork on top and this combined with both gaskets properly installed means no leaks except a small amount from the working of the bell during driving and this lubes the brake equalizer . I know this works well on 33-34 cars and I have always done this . If you decide you want to go this way remember to pour some lube in through the speedo hole . I give it a half cup . Good luck David J Found info on " soda soap grease " and there seems to be two choices - one with the 0.70 % soda soap content shows as being fluid at room temperature and the one with the 6.10 % soda soap shows a melting point of 110 * . The majority of it is mineral oil . Anyone know the soda soap percentage ford used .

Last edited by David J; 03-04-2011 at 11:15 PM. Reason: add info