Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-03-2012, 05:22 PM   #1
leadpot

Default Blankety Blank water spots

Have a 29 tudor with black fenders & chicle drab body. When I get water spots on the fenders, splash pans etc, the only way I can get them off is to wax them. Paste wax is the only thing I have found to remove them & even then it takes some elbow grease to work them out. Clean them up as soon as possible & never let them go for any length of time.
Use a detailing spray on the body & it cleans up fine but does not work on the black fenders. Spray on wax also will not work.
The water spots almost seem to etch right through the wax. Do I have too much wax on the fenders? Anyone else have this problem & knows how to fix?
Getting tired of waxing every time I get around any water.
leadpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 06:50 PM   #2
Bruce in southern OH

Default Re: Blankety Blank water spots

Have same problem, waiting for detail man, Bruce
Bruce in southern OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 07:27 PM   #3
Ross/Kzoo

Have you tried microfiber towels? It's worked for my black speedster. I use Nufinish wax.
Ross/Kzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 08:43 PM   #4
kingbee

Send a message via AIM to kingbee

I use a spray bottle with half and half vinegar and water. Spread it around with a damp rag and dry with an absorbent towel. Spots are gone with no harm to the wax.
kingbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 08:46 PM   #5
Roger V

I had water? during the night get on my A while parked at a motel during a national meet years ago. When I washed it at home, thinking it would disolve the water spot rings, it didn't. Tried Maguires cleaners to no avail. Wax with a cleaner (abrasive) didn't work. Hagerty paid a high-end restoration shop to wet sand and buff. At first it looked like that took them out. Not long after they're back and still there to this day. At first I thought the motel sprinkling system used hard well water but now suspect something else was in the water like fertilizer/chemicals. Most people don't notice but in the right light, I do.
Roger V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:34 AM   #6
Marco Tahtaras

Ok, this California boy is a bit confused. In my experience this only occurs from "hard" ground water and is essentially mineral deposits from that water which indeed can etch the surface IF ALLOWED TO DRY. However since ground water can only be applied by man, it is generally predictable and can be toweled off so no etching can occur.

Unpredictable rain water will typically at worst carry dirt and dust from the lower atmosphere but no etching minerals meaning that my experience indicates only predictable water sources can cause such spotting but being predictable means it can nearly always be toweled off and avoid any problems. Roger's example is not unusual but whenever I'm forced to park near a sprinkler system over night I go out and towel off my car early in the morning.
Old 09-04-2012, 12:21 PM   #7
Frank Miller

It may be from the acid rain. Has anyone with a problem tried clay? On my newer vehicles I find this stuff cleans the paint better than sanding and buffing.
Old 09-04-2012, 04:11 PM   #8
Marco Tahtaras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Miller View Post
It may be from the acid rain. Has anyone with a problem tried clay? On my newer vehicles I find this stuff cleans the paint better than sanding and buffing.
What I've been told was "acid rain" is like a grit you can feel on the paint's surface but not necessarily see. I get that on my modern cars and every couple years I use a 3M clay bar to remove it and follow up with an abrasive free carnauba wax. I've successfully avoided hard water spotting for several years now but I'm not sure I would have thought to try a clay bar. It may work.

When using a clay bar it's IMPORTANT to properly use and lubricate it. Follow the instructions! I've never tried it on dark paint. It may leave highlights that show in direct sunlight which would require buffing with swirl remover to eliminate them.
Old 09-04-2012, 04:35 PM   #9
Mitch//pa
BANNED

i use the clay bar with maguires quick detail spray not water
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 05:23 PM   #10
Dusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco Tahtaras View Post
Ok, this California boy is a bit confused. In my experience this only occurs from "hard" ground water and is essentially mineral deposits from that water which indeed can etch the surface IF ALLOWED TO DRY. However since ground water can only be applied by man, it is generally predictable and can be toweled off so no etching can occur.

Unpredictable rain water will typically at worst carry dirt and dust from the lower atmosphere but no etching minerals meaning that my experience indicates only predictable water sources can cause such spotting but being predictable means it can nearly always be toweled off and avoid any problems. Roger's example is not unusual but whenever I'm forced to park near a sprinkler system over night I go out and towel off my car early in the morning.
I agree with this, any city water that is left on a car during the day will etch the paint and will be very hard to remove if not impossible. Rain water as a rule will not do this, so if you are inclined to rinse your car off even after a soap washing than you had better hand dry immediately.

dusty
Dusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 07:54 PM   #11
Art Bjornestad

I have had this problem and use vinegar straight from the bottle and a microfiber towel. I towel it dry and walk away. I found the worst thing for me to do is put a coat of wax on top of the spots as the vinegar won't be able to act on the mineral deposits. Art
Art Bjornestad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:49 PM   #12
kingbee

Send a message via AIM to kingbee

OK, that's 2 votes for vinegar.
kingbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 11:01 PM   #13
leadpot

Thanks to all. Kingbee, I tried the half vinegar & water like you suggested, it worked fine. Was sure better than re-waxing. Only spent about 15 minutes cleaning up with the vinegar/water and was happy with the results. Then got busy working back in the barn when a pop up shower surprised me. When I started hearing raindrops on the tin roof it was too late, my car was still sitting out from earlier and couldn't get back to the house before we had a short downpour. Well at least I won't have to re-wax this time. Am also going to look into the marine wax.

Thanks again,
leadpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 11:57 PM   #14
Marco Tahtaras

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingbee View Post
I'm disappointed in myself for skimming past (overlooking) your first post. It is a simple and logical solution. I use vinegar for similar non-car related hard water issues. So often the simplest solutions are right in front of us and we fail to see them. Fortunately I've sidestepped this particular issue for several years as described above. I think however I'll see if it has any impact on my "acid rain" issue!
Old 09-05-2012, 01:28 AM   #15
Tom Wesenberg

I'll also have to try the vinegar on my aluminum boat with a light blue factory paint job. I had it covered with a large plastic tarp, but somehow water got under the plastic on the boat deck and left large discolored spots. The only thing I could think of was try to wax them out. That worked somewhat, but not completely.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 10:54 AM   #16
Purdy Swoft

I use a chamois cloth and dry mine thoroughly after washing. A real leather chamois polishes while drying. I don't use wax and keep mine inside when not in use.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 03:00 PM   #17
30Ford

I use a leaf blower...helps eliminate water marks
30Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 06:58 PM   #18
Art Bjornestad

I would try a very small area when using vinegar on aluminum, might have a reaction?
Art Bjornestad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 09:58 PM   #19
Fred in WV

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingbee View Post
Make that 3 votes. Vinegar will take off the water spots on metal or glass. I had some water spots on the windshield of my 31 Tudor. Tried everything I could think of, no use. Someone suggested using white vinegar with a soft cloth. They just disappeared, been using white vinegar ever since.
Fred in WV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 02:09 AM   #20
Barney

Hi Guys,
Water stains or other contaminants do I remove with a damp microfibre towel. Always works. The car is treated with special care products. This Swizzvax products are the best I have ever handled. One solution for all car-care-problems. Here is the Link, check it:

http://www.swissvax.us

These products are at the highest level in car-care. I say this not because it comes from Switzerland but because I have tried a lot.
Have fun while polishing your cars,
Barney
Barney is offline   Reply With Quote