Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-03-2023, 12:20 PM   #1
gwistrup

Default Does the Chassis parts book cover door components?

I have an opportunity to purchase a 1939 Ford convertible sedan that is in pieces. I know that everything in the doors and side windows is specific to the convertible sedan so I need a good reference to make sure all the parts are there. Is the "1928-1948 chassis parts and accessories catalog" the book I need for all the exploded views for parts in the doors?
gwistrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 12:24 PM   #2
Kube

Default Re: Does the Chassis parts book cover door components?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwistrup View Post
I have an opportunity to purchase a 1939 Ford convertible sedan that is in pieces. I know that everything in the doors and side windows is specific to the convertible sedan so I need a good reference to make sure all the parts are there. Is the "1928-1948 chassis parts and accessories catalog" the book I need for all the exploded views for parts in the doors?
nope
Old 02-03-2023, 12:24 PM   #3
Hitman

No, a lot of that is in the hardware and trimming supplies book. Make sure you get the correct one as there are updates, and a reproduced one covers through 1938.

It will include handles, latches, regulators, window channels, lock cylinders and other items.
Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 12:58 PM   #4
Kurt in NJ

there will only be pictures of the window regulator,door latches in the hardware book
some of the channels would be in the body book, but no pictures.
post some pictures of the parts, the window frames have rollers, ball bearings, there’s guides that fit the rollers that go into the door
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 01:07 PM   #5
Kube

Also, a segway to your post for certain... if you have yet to purchase this vehicle, please, for your sake, be 100% certain all of the parts specific to this model are there.
Also, don't pay much for this project. These models are plummeting in value.
Old 02-03-2023, 01:17 PM   #6
DavidG

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Kurt in NJ,

With respect, You must be thinking of the 1933, 1934, and initial 1936 versions of the Hardware and Trimming Supplies catalogs. Starting with the supplement to the 1936 version of the Hardware and Trimming Supplies catalog and the next full version of the catalog (1938), there are dozens of illustrations of window channels and window regulators, right back to some of the Model A versions.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 04:04 PM   #7
Karl Wescott

To further confuse things...

The door window frames are the same size and shape 1935-39. HOWEVER, there were two different types of guide roller and (vertical) channels. Ford started the changeover in 1936 but I have seen examples of the early style on convertibles into 1938. Likely a Ford installed whatever was on hand at the assembly plant at the moment. You cannot mix and match the different guide roller types with the other type channel. There are only a limited amount of parts available for the later rollers, none currently for the early style, so best advise is to be sure everything is complete.
Karl Wescott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 11:41 PM   #8
gwistrup

Thank you for the information. I have seen about 40% of the parts and nothing for the doors. I was originally excited about this project but my enthusiasm is cooling off. I may have found a decent 1940 Tudor instead.
Old 02-04-2023, 09:50 AM   #9
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwistrup View Post
Thank you for the information. I have seen about 40% of the parts and nothing for the doors. I was originally excited about this project but my enthusiasm is cooling off. I may have found a decent 1940 Tudor instead.
I am biased towards '40 but notwithstanding, the Tudor is probably a better choice for numerous reasons.
The best of luck to you regardless of which you choose.
Old 02-04-2023, 11:29 AM   #10
DavidG

Difference is what makes life interesting. IMO, there is simply nothing about a '40 Tudor sedan than measures up to a '39 convertible sedan with the obvious exception of cost to restore and initial purchase price.

Last edited by DavidG; 02-05-2023 at 07:05 PM. Reason: spelling errors
Old 02-04-2023, 09:01 PM   #11
itslow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
No, a lot of that is in the hardware and trimming supplies book. Make sure you get the correct one as there are updates, and a reproduced one covers through 1938.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
...Starting with the supplement to the 1936 version of the Hardware and Trimming Supplies catalog and the next full version of the catalog (1938), there are dozens of illustrations of window channels and window regulators, right back to some of the Model A versions.
Does the 1938 edition start omitting parts that were included in the earlier editions? Such as parts that would have been used in the '32-34 model years? Which edition would be the one to get for us '32-34 guys?

I see there are some of the earlier editions available on eBay.

Wanted:
- '32-34 Open Cab Pickup (RPU) parts and documents/articles/info
- ARDUN parts
itslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 09:13 PM   #12
gwistrup

The convertible is "cool" and the Tudor is "practical". This will be my first prewar vehicle and I want to purchase something that I won't be underwater with after I get it finished. I am open to suggestions if anyone has something for sale in central New York.
Old 02-04-2023, 09:15 PM   #13
DavidG

A good way to put it!
Old 02-04-2023, 09:34 PM   #14
DavidG

itslow,

Good question! Each of them has more content than the proceeding version so it is not complete trade off (add the new model years' stuff and drop the oldest model years' stuff). There is some trade off as the catalogs are based on what Ford was still stocking as service parts.

The best bet for those interested in '32-'34 Fords are the '34 and '38 versions, both of which have been reproduced, at least in the past, and they show up reasonably priced from time to time on Amazon and ebay. The '34 version, for example, shows all of the '32-'34 door handles, inside and out. In the '38 version, none of the three types of '32 closed car inside door handles are shown, but all of the '32-'34 outside door handles are there. There are no door latches, window regulators, or window channels in the '34 version, but they are all or nearly all there for the '32-'38 models in the '38 version, including even some for Model As.
Old 02-05-2023, 11:35 AM   #15
Karl Wescott

Another source for reprints that David failed to mention (likely out of modesty) is he included a 1932 edition in the appendix to his (Early V8 Club) 1932 Ford Book. There are also "selections" of a 1933-34 edition in the V8 clubs 1933-34 Ford Book. Both are worthwhile additions to any restorers or street rodders library.
Old 02-05-2023, 01:10 PM   #16
19Fordy

gwistrup: Follow Kube's advice about "plummeting" values on that car. If you really want that model, BUY ONE DONE, as finding parts for sedan convertibles is extremely difficult as only 3561 units were produced. It is not as desirable a car as before. Think twice and reconsider. You will end up spending a ton more $$ and time to restore it than it will ever be worth. CHEAPER TO BUY ONE DONE. Look here:
https://classiccars.com/listings/find/1939/ford/deluxe

Last edited by 19Fordy; 02-05-2023 at 01:45 PM.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 01:24 PM   #17
TJ

If the convertible sedan does not have any upholstery that can get real pricey in today's world. Might even be the cost of a nice running '40 tudor sedan.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 03:24 PM   #18
DavidG

Karl,

That in Appendix A-11 of the '32 book is a hybrid of sorts as it contains all of the '32 parts found in all of the '33-'38 catalogs. That in the '33-'34 book also seems to be similar in breadth.
Old 02-05-2023, 06:09 PM   #19
gwistrup

Supposedly everything to finish the '39 convertible sedan was with it. After two visits to the car and the owner's house, I'm becoming much more skeptical. If it is not complete, I will walk away. It might be better to start with a more simple project like the '40 Tudor I found a couple hours away from my house. This car is complete, running and registered. Hopefully I will get a chance to look at the Tudor this week. The weather should be better.
Old 02-05-2023, 06:27 PM   #20
Karl Wescott

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
Karl,

That in Appendix A-11 of the '32 book is a hybrid of sorts as it contains all of the '32 parts found in all of the '33-'38 catalogs. That in the '33-'34 book also seems to be similar in breadth.

Regardless, WELL DONE!