Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-26-2016, 06:00 AM   #1
Karl

Default Bang!!!

After 1800 miles of trouble free motoring in the 1934 . We where less than 50 miles from home and travelling at a steady 45mph when there was a loud bang from up front followed by a cloud of steam . I pulled immediately to the side of the road and turned off the engine which was still running. The photo shows what greeted me on lifting the hood.

The generator mounting on the valve chamber cover had sheared clean through. The generator had tilted forward and the bang was the fan chewing through the radiator and the top of the coil. We finished the trip on a trailer.

I will need to have a radiator re-core done as the radiator is toast.. I will also need a new Valve Chamber cover , Coil and fan ( fortunately which I have except perhaps for the fan) Hopefully no other damage but time will tell. All in in all not a great day!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ford.JPG (107.4 KB, 1639 views)
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 06:38 AM   #2
GB SISSON

Default Re: Bang!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl View Post
After 1800 miles of trouble free motoring in the 1934 . We where less than 50 miles from home and travelling at a steady 45mph when there was a loud bang from up front followed by a cloud of steam . I pulled immediately to the side of the road and turned off the engine which was still running. The photo shows what greeted me on lifting the hood.

The generator mounting on the valve chamber cover had sheared clean through. The generator had tilted forward and the bang was the fan chewing through the radiator and the top of the coil. We finished the trip on a trailer.

I will need to have a radiator re-core done as the radiator is toast.. I will also need a new Valve Chamber cover , Coil and fan ( fortunately which I have except perhaps for the fan) Hopefully no other damage but time will tell. All in in all not a great day!
So in this case, the fan hit the s#!+. Sorry for your loss. Could have been worse and nobody got hurt so it was a better day than for some people. Good luck finding the parts too.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 07:26 AM   #3
mercman from oz

Ouch!!! Sorry to hear about the damage to your 1934 Ford.
mercman from oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 07:51 AM   #4
chap52

Ouch!
chap52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 07:55 AM   #5
jimTN

Do you remember how high above the manifold your gen was. A fan belt slightly too long requiring the gen to be at the limit of adjustment can cause such breakage.
jimTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 08:46 AM   #6
Admiral

OUCH! Sorry to hear about this unfortunate incident. :-( When assembling my flathead my mechanic warned about aluminum intake manifolds. He said he recommends cast-iron ones because they never break at the generator mount. He said he's seen this a couple of times and it's never pretty.
Admiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 08:54 AM   #7
TomT/Williamsburg

Man that sucks but you are OK and it can be fixed ....
TomT/Williamsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 09:11 AM   #8
carguybill

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimTN View Post
Do you remember how high above the manifold your gen was. A fan belt slightly too long requiring the gen to be at the limit of adjustment can cause such breakage.
This makes sense. I'll be checking mine when I get back home.
carguybill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 10:09 AM   #9
KDL

Ouch. That hurts just to look at it.
KDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 10:30 AM   #10
Karl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral View Post
OUCH! Sorry to hear about this unfortunate incident. :-( When assembling my flathead my mechanic warned about aluminum intake manifolds. He said he recommends cast-iron ones because they never break at the generator mount. He said he's seen this a couple of times and it's never pretty.
Was low down . In fact was as low as it would go and generator was resting on the valve cover. Fan belt still had right amount of tension. -Karl
Old 01-26-2016, 10:42 AM   #11
John R

Karl,
Thanks for posting your experience. Sounds like we should periodically check the aluminum generator mounts for cracks. Maybe overkill, but a retaining strap could be fabricated to at least keep the fan/generator somewhat centered if it breaks loose.
Old 01-26-2016, 10:57 AM   #12
tubman

When I was a kid, we would consider ourselves lucky to find a radiator that good at the junk yard. A little solder and some Stop-Leak and back on the road!
tubman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 12:18 PM   #13
deuce_roadster

It is this reason I keep the fan belt only as tight as needed to turn the water pumps and generator on my 33. It has probably 1 1/2 inches slack but it keeps the battery charged and never overheats and the belt has never come off.
I'm very sorry to see this but as others said--it always could be worse. You didn't throw a blade through the hood or at someone.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 12:28 PM   #14
SUHRsc

I had a similar incident with a cast iron intake once...
77-6050B, 81AS - 81SB - 99AS - 99SB 19AS cylinder heads
SUHRsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 12:39 PM   #15
Bored&Stroked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl View Post
I will need to have a radiator re-core done as the radiator is toast..
I had my original 32 V8 radiator re-cored by an outfit out here in Ohio - not super happy about the job (and it cost me $900). They didn't get the top-tank exactly right, had to take it back and have them re-do their work (grill didn't fit right). They fixed it, but it shouldn't have been an issue in the first place and it still isn't as nice as I had hoped.

I'd highly recommend that you send it to somebody who really knows these early radiators - and has the necessary alignment tools/jigs to get the top-tank exactly where it needs to be.

You might consider Brassworks:

http://www.thebrassworks.net/
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 12:43 PM   #16
FlatheadTed

Send a message via AIM to FlatheadTed

Wow ,what a disaster Karl ,I recently re commissioned my 35 and noticed a crack developing beside the bolt ,cant see it clear here but removed that sucker right away for a cast iron one .will be fitting a bracket on my 34 aluminium one now.The stress on the bolt could be a factor over tightening by previous people who worked on the car .Make sure they get the radiator height right when they rescore important for grill fit .Ted
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010746_3905.jpg (33.5 KB, 169 views)

Flathead Ted brake Floaters ,
FlatheadTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 04:50 PM   #17
fordscript

Never known of a manifold to break before....but I have had 2 generator mounting studs break off over the years.
fordscript is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 05:02 PM   #18
GSCOV

The fact that the generator was resting on the manifold is not a good thing. The resulting vibration surely contributed to the failure. Like having an engine bolt to the frame without any cushion.
GSCOV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 05:05 PM   #19
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

It's easy to overtighten the old wide belts...they are happy as noted above with a lot less tension than narrow ones. I do suspect that a lot of failures actually have their roots in roughly handled engines long ago...that part is very vulnerable to damage on engines jostled around in junkyards years ago or in the back of a pickup truck headed for Hershey now. The projecting stud is one of several natural snags on flatheads, like the fuel fitting on Strombergs, just waiting for someone to roll the engine over.
Bruce Lancaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 05:35 PM   #20
Karl

More big bang pictures . Look at what is left of Skips coil (and it still ran)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0479.JPG (91.5 KB, 301 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0480.JPG (75.8 KB, 306 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0481.JPG (70.5 KB, 253 views)