Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-19-2011, 04:24 PM   #21
Steve Wastler

Default Re: Just Curious...

Oh, and if it ain't got fenders......
Steve Wastler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 04:53 PM   #22
BILL WILLIAMSON

My, my, my, aren't we 'gettin touchy! Folks have been personalizing, modifying, hopping up, and customizing Model A's since they were new. I do to my car whatever I want to, as I'm a very opinionated, independent thinker. Who, other than me would name his car,"VERMIN?" The last time I saw my ownership certificate, It said I was the registered & legal owner!! I love a great 'lookin street rod also, but I can't afford two types of cars. There's different strokes for different folks. What if ALL OUR FACES looked alike. Claude would be Chuck, Tom would be Ted, Reuben would be Art, Don would be Dan, Bill would be the other Bill, and they would all leave in the WRONG CARS, 'cause they all looked the SAME. Then you could have the DAMNDEST coffee shop parking lot fight that you ever witnessed!! If it wasn't for different license numbers, everyone would have gone home happy, except for the guy that said to himself, "Gee,whiz, I never noticed that rear end whine before!"
I admire the high points owners for all the time, research, and $$$ they spend to make their cars like new. ( betcha some have "modern" upgrades and performance equiptment that can be hidden from the judges )
My car sports a sign that reads, "Yes, you can touch my car, and if you ever made out in a Model A, sit in it, and see if you can remember her name!"
Old 10-19-2011, 05:12 PM   #23
Roadster62

Believe it or not there are OTHER cars than Model A's, sorry to break the news to some of you. This is a site that allows questions and answeres about stock build features, and Ford factory build history on the Model A. As I understand it THE PERFECT Model A never made it to the showroom, and if you are a "Fine Point" type that is your goal, good for you, hope it makes you happy. However there are other people in the World that are perfectly happy with the Model A their father restored in the 1960's, or NEVER did anything with, just keep it the garage/barn. I enjoy reading helpful replies, and detest the snide "I'm an EXPERT" diatribes, it doesn't take long to weed out those types, and just scroll past there posts.
Old 10-19-2011, 05:41 PM   #24
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadster62 View Post
Believe it or not there are OTHER cars than Model A's, sorry to break the news to some of you. This is a site that allows questions and answeres about stock build features, and Ford factory build history on the Model A. As I understand it THE PERFECT Model A never made it to the showroom, and if you are a "Fine Point" type that is your goal, good for you, hope it makes you happy. However there are other people in the World that are perfectly happy with the Model A their father restored in the 1960's, or NEVER did anything with, just keep it the garage/barn. I enjoy reading helpful replies, and detest the snide "I'm an EXPERT" diatribes, it doesn't take long to weed out those types, and just scroll past there posts.
I know one of those "KNOW IT ALL GUYS" He can't leave his house, as his head is stuck in his front door. All he can do is shuffle junk mail with his feet.
Old 10-19-2011, 06:19 PM   #25
MCHinson

Maybe it is a regional thing. I live in Southeastern North Carolina. We have plenty of roads here that you can drive a Model A on without modifications. My car is stock. No mods to make it "more drivable". On most tours, I drive it at 55 mph. I stay off of the Interstate. At least in my part of the country, you can still drive a correctly restored stock Model A.
MCHinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 06:26 PM   #26
5window

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff/Illinois View Post
......The Model A Ford Club of America, Inc. is a California non-profit corporation and a national historical society dedicated to the RESTORATION AND PRESERVATION OF MODEL A FORD VEHICLES AS MANUFACTURED FROM 1928 THROUGH 1931. As taken from the mission statement of MAFCA.

That pretty well sums it up. No need to 'alter' or 'change' the original perception as laid out by the Club founders. I'm sure they were faced with this question back in 1957.

This has been hashed out here time and again ad naseum.

I don't recall ever seeing or reading about a new Model A leaving on a dealer drive-away equipped w/ all of the doo-dads people seem to want to cobble the car up with like Mitchell overdrives, down draft carburetors, F-150 transmissions etc. etc. etc. I wouldn't walk across the street to see a street rod. I actually loath them. Same as a Model A painted up in goofy colors and made to look like some kind of a clown car.

Go to the H.A.M.B. and hang out there. The 'people' on that forum (if you want to call them that) are very nasty and rude. Let's keep that rif-raf off of Fordbarn, please.
Jeff, you're entitled to your opinion, but I think it's pretty small minded. I am on this forum because I am interested in the Ford Model A and the points that are discussed here. But, I drive a hot rodded '31 coupe, so I am part of the rif-raf. You'd hate it,but to each his own.

On this board, I respectfully limit my discussions to things appropriate to the stated goals of this restoration board and I save my hot rod questions for the HAMB. But, there are many fine people on the HAMB and quite a few horse's asses on the FordBarn. As soon as you place limits on who you'll talk to, you run the risk of missing a lot of valuable information, interest and history that others might know.

Some of us just like cars. If we all thought the same, we'd all drive one kind of car with no changes and one color. And, there'd be no point to having a "discussion" group.
5window is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 06:39 PM   #27
mjw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
Ya, I'm one of those inbetweeners too. My Model A body is altered some, but the running gear is all 28-29 right down to the brakes, a 30s-40s gow. I feel like I'm too "ford original" for the main hamb and don't see alot of posts I can add too. And not enough for the barn sometimes. :]' So I read a lot of what is going on. And try and let it sink in.

I try not to bring up anything here that isn't related to original ford questions. I have suggested to new barners that post very off topic projects that they might enjoy the hamb better and receive better information on their project.

As far as rif-raf, I've been known to have an opinion (or joke around) sometimes. I've been slammed/ribbed on the hamb (and I still post) and we've even joked at ourselves here! It happens, it's just life.
I'm a tweener too, after having been reprimanded here for too much hot rod and on the hamb for not enough, I just lurk, sell a few parts and other than this tend not to post.

By the way my user name is the same on every forum I join including the hamb where I have been an alliance member since 2006 and would be one here too if Ryan started it.
mjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 06:46 PM   #28
Modelakid31

Send a message via AIM to Modelakid31

I'm a big purist minus safety like seat belts and turn signals (signals in the tail and head lights only. No external lights). I run stock engine in my Tudor and so does my dad in his cars. A stock model a can go 60 65 easily. Not saying you wanna go that speed all the time but you can if you need too. Even if you modify your car you still don't wanna drive those speed. I figure it once you put things like juice brakes and and modern points and other carbs/heads, that's a hot rod. Not trying to cause arguments but that's my honest opinion. To make it even more honest, I'm 19 and yes usually people would think that a kid like me would modify or hot rod these cars. I personally dislike hot rods and modified model A's. Even drivers. People will argue that "oh...that's ok cuz he has a driver or a touring car..." but a stock model a is just as good a driver as a "modified" model a. They were built to be an everyday car so they still are and can be. Yes they are not as safe today's cars but they still can handle being driven. I don't see the need to change the cars at all, exept for a safety feature like seat belts of turn signals.

That's just my opinion and view on it.
Modelakid31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 06:47 PM   #29
Modelakid31

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCHinson View Post
Maybe it is a regional thing. I live in Southeastern North Carolina. We have plenty of roads here that you can drive a Model A on without modifications. My car is stock. No mods to make it "more drivable". On most tours, I drive it at 55 mph. I stay off of the Interstate. At least in my part of the country, you can still drive a correctly restored stock Model A.
This is exactly my point.
Old 10-19-2011, 06:56 PM   #30
Logan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCHinson View Post
That really is a big part of it. If you go to a national tour, you will notice most of the modified cars will come from the southern states, and west coast like California. Very rarely do you see a bunch of heavily modified cars from the east coast. Atleast that's my observations.
Old 10-19-2011, 07:01 PM   #31
Tinker

I think I should add. I like the fordbarn because it is not a "hot rod" forum, if it was I don't know if I would like it as much. I've been a shadow barner since shelly ran it. I'm glad a lot of the guys stuck around. That is what makes this place great.

Last edited by Tinker; 10-20-2011 at 11:04 AM.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 07:14 PM   #32
RcT

This is turning ugly and you are overlooking my original question. That is who and how was it ever determined what constitutes modifications that are acceptable, and those that tend to tell the person it would be better to go to the Hotrod site?

I do want to make my own feelings as clear as possible; it seems relatively clear, through the accepted judging standards what an original car is... and we all know there are modifications. 99.99% of ALL cars have been modified, in one way or another, by someone in it's history since first built.

I have a liking for any and all cars, (maybe the the exceptions of the Pontiac Aztec, or the Yugo, or the new Nano from India), and a great deal of admiration for well-done hotrods and purists, we all have our likes and dislikes, but there are some extremely talented craftsmen out there in all fields. I really dislike anything other than stock wheels and black tires, but that's my own personal preference. I see certain things that turn my stomach, such as upside-down landau irons, but I really do not care what you have done to your car... it's yours to do with as you like.

Some modifications seem okay... others will suggest you go elsewhere. How did this ever get sorted out?

Richard Tatoyan
RcT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 07:14 PM   #33
jetrod

I have no opinion about what is right for this forum, but I always wondered why a person would buy a Model "A" and then change to hydraulic brakes, pick-up stearing, downdraft carb, 16" wheels Alternator modern lights, etc,etc.,etc.. WHY NOT JUST BUY A SHAY IN THE FIRST PLACE? ---Just wondering
jetrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 07:17 PM   #34
Tinker

RcT.

this sticky thread is at the top of each section of the hamb. Maybe you need to take it up with Ryan?
http://fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23523

I have ribs on the grill so have to go...
Old 10-19-2011, 07:21 PM   #35
RcT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
RcT.

this sticky thread is at the top of each section of the hamb. Maybe you need to take it up with Ryan?
http://fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23523

I have ribs on the grill so have to go...
Maybe I should have just kept this question to myself...

Richard
RcT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 07:51 PM   #36
Richard in Anaheim CA

I thought I could stay out of this but after the previous 34 posts, I too have to comment.

Everyone has their own criteria. I love to look at the high scoring fine point cars but of seldom get to since they are trailered in, fenced off and trailered out. I laughed at the original key compared to the repo key when they started arguing which one was the original.

My "thing" is driving my Model A and having it appear stock to the casual observer on the road or even a local showing. My cars all have stock wheels, mechanical brakes, stock appearing lights, stock, or near stock colors and uphoulstry. When people ask if it is stock my "stock" answer is almost.

If I have an original part, I install it, if it is a good repo part I install it, if I paint parts I paint them stock colors, even my alternator, oil filter, overdrive, down draft manifold, and air conditioner compressor.

I have driven my favored 28 Tudor 100,000 miles in all but one state and several Canadian provences. I drive freeways, climb hills, drive in rain, mud, gravel at legal speeds in the right hand lanes. I clean them up the best I can afterward but there remains some "road rash".

My club like MARC and MAFCA states you must have an interest in the Model A Ford, not a specific catagory of Model A or even ownership of one. We do not eliminate non stock Model A owners or in that matter smokers. We have had both they shortly stop coming because they don't fit the group well. Their choice, not outs.

This is ultimately about people, not cars. It's family, just like Ford Barn is family. There are always black sheep. There are always prima donna's. There are always the sanctamonious.

Associate with those you enjoy and avoid those you don't enjoy. Sometimes they change places.

You were expecting any less than a sermon? :>)

Richard
Anaheim CA
Richard in Anaheim CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 07:56 PM   #37
Logan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard in Anaheim CA View Post
I thought I could stay out of this but after the previous 34 posts, I too have to comment.

Everyone has their own criteria. I love to look at the high scoring fine point cars but of seldom get to since they are trailered in, fenced off and trailered out. I laughed at the original key compared to the repo key when they started arguing which one was the original.

My "thing" is driving my Model A and having it appear stock to the casual observer on the road or even a local showing. My cars all have stock wheels, mechanical brakes, stock appearing lights, stock, or near stock colors and uphoulstry. When people ask if it is stock my "stock" answer is almost.

If I have an original part, I install it, if it is a good repo part I install it, if I paint parts I paint them stock colors, even my alternator, oil filter, overdrive, down draft manifold, and air conditioner compressor.

I have driven my favored 28 Tudor 100,000 miles in all but one state and several Canadian provences. I drive freeways, climb hills, drive in rain, mud, gravel at legal speeds in the right hand lanes. I clean them up the best I can afterward but there remains some "road rash".

My club like MARC and MAFCA states you must have an interest in the Model A Ford, not a specific catagory of Model A or even ownership of one. We do not eliminate non stock Model A owners or in that matter smokers. We have had both they shortly stop coming because they don't fit the group well. Their choice, not outs.

This is ultimately about people, not cars. It's family, just like Ford Barn is family. There are always black sheep. There are always prima donna's. There are always the sanctamonious.

Associate with those you enjoy and avoid those you don't enjoy. Sometimes they change places.

Richard
Anaheim CA
well said
Old 10-19-2011, 07:57 PM   #38
Tinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RcT View Post
Maybe I should have just kept this question to myself...

Richard
No it is a very valid point. Just don't know how to help you. Threads come and go. 1 week it might be filled with stuff your not interested in. Next week.

Like I mentioned I too want it to be about stockers. If subjects come about for little upgrades I'll check them out. Don't know what to say though buddy.

**** oh the ribs were delicious!

Last edited by Tinker; 10-19-2011 at 10:46 PM. Reason: Rib report
Old 10-19-2011, 08:09 PM   #39
Modelakid31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard in Anaheim CA View Post

Richard
Anaheim CA
I agree with driving the car but I feel that one you start adding/modifying a model a it's just not a model a anymore.
Old 10-19-2011, 08:43 PM   #40
Jordan

It's truly in the eye of the beholder. I don't think that you have the right to tell anyone something is "wrong" on their car, because obviously they think it's "right" because otherwise they wouldn't have put it on there. I think it becomes a hot rot once you modify it in a way, that it cant be turned back original (cutting the firewall, chop top, ect). If somebody puts a weber on a model a, don't complain about it. The next owner can take it off if they don't want it. It's nobody's place to tell someone that their car is wrong.

Here's where I start to get a kick over this subject of Mods. I think it's really funny when people who say they have completely original cars, and wouldn't change them. But then that person will say a "generator is better than an alternator, Oh but btw you need to put a voltage regulator on the generator so that it works better" or "Put an extra ground strap from the transmission so you have better lights". "Don't go with a four speed, just put a mitchell syncro 3 speed, with a high speed rear end." These are all modifications, the only difference is you think you're sneaking it past the judges, so that makes it ok.

Not everyone builds their cars for points. So don't get mad at those of us who might not do things the exact way Henry did.

As for me, I have limited mods on my car. I have 12 volts because I drive a lot at night on backroads, so i needed brighter lights YES THE 6V LIGHTS WEREN'T BRIGHT ENOUGH. I also put in an AC because my grandpa was not in good health, and I wanted to take him with me still in the 110* summers. Also, my grandma had a massive stroke, so if she ever can go again, I don't want her to be uncomfortable. I also have an FS centrifugal distributor because my grandma drove the car, my sister, mom & dad all drive the car, and not everyone knows how to work the spark. I also just put some 19 inch, 550 size tires on my stock rims. They are a little bit taller and wider for a better ride & road grip. But for the purist, I did get black walls. Future plans of a 4-speed.
Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote