Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-27-2014, 08:50 PM   #1
TomT/Williamsburg

Default Inserting a 40 steering shaft into and F-100 Worm Gear

OK - I am rebuilding the steering box in my roadster and still want to use a 40 wheel. So. I bought a F-100 rebuild kit which has a worm gear sans the shaft. I have a 40 shaft that I want to insert into that new worm gear....

So, anyone done this? Tips? How to get the 40 column woodruf key slot in the right position so my steering wheel isn't 90 degrees off when driving straight?

Thanks for any help you can give .....
TomT/Williamsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 09:51 PM   #2
Andy

Default Re: Inserting a 40 steering shaft into and F-100 Worm Gear

Henry was very tricky. The shafts have a bigger ID inside all the length except where they are necked down for the wheel attachment. For this reason, I did not respline the shaft. I cut the shaft and spliced it so I could get the right length and keyway orintation. I made a press fit sleeve and welded one end and then after careful positioning, welded the other end. The sleeve has about the same wall thickness as the shaft. No problems with it.
Did you see the post I did on my F-100 coversion? I welded on a new flange and cut the pitman shft to use a Model A arm. Gives more clearance and gets rid of the big arm.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 10:48 PM   #3
Karl Wolf

I think that you'll have to put the worm onto the shaft. There is a keyway cut in the shaft, 1/8" wide that determines where the shaft and worm fit together. Then, assemble the box and see what you have... Maybe you'll get lucky.

Don't tell anyone, but I've used a grinder with a narrow wheel to cut the 1/8" slot. Worked well for me, but I sure won't recommend it.

To press the shaft into the worm gear, I put a piece of 1/4" aluminum plat on the cement floor, started the shaft carefully into the gear and pounded the gear on the plate so that the shaft would be driven in by its own weight.

Karl
Karl Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 11:30 AM   #4
NealinCA

Tom - The worm key always points toward the sector shaft on a Gemmer steering box. On an F-100 it will 6 o'clock, an F-1 it will 12 o'clock and a 37-48 cross steer the keyway will be at the 3 o'clock position. In your case, the keyway for the worm should be in line with the keyway for the steering wheel, which will both be at the 6'oclock position.

You can shorten the shaft from the bottom end. Cut the shaft to desired length. Machine lower end to .742 diameter about 1-3/4" from end. There is a short step at the very end that is .732 about 3/16" long. Then cut an 1/8" keyway also about 1-3/4" long, making sure it is inline with the steering wheel key.

Then press the F-100 worm onto the newly machined 40 ford shaft.

There are some tips on pressing worms on and off in this post.

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showth...ress+worm+neal

Neal
NealinCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 04:52 AM   #5
OHV DeLuxe

I have pressed a F100 worm on 39-40 shaft. A perfect fit.
OHV DeLuxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 01:08 PM   #6
NealinCA

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHV DeLuxe View Post
I have pressed a F100 worm on 39-40 shaft. A perfect fit.
Yes, all of the Gemmer worms will interchange with the nominal 3/4" steering shafts. For example, a 48-52 F1 worm will press on a 35 steering shaft, etc, but the clocking is different. In that case, the steering wheel would be off 90 degrees...unless you cut and welded the shaft or recut the key way.

Neal
NealinCA is offline   Reply With Quote