Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-13-2011, 10:17 AM   #1
Don Turley

Default Rex Reheis

delete

Last edited by Don Turley; 04-22-2012 at 05:05 PM. Reason: delete
Don Turley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 12:13 PM   #2
Purdy Swoft

Default Re: Rex Reheis

Rex was also well known for the leakless water pumps that he built with a lifetime warranty. He was no doubt one of the most knowledgeable model A guys ever. I always enjoyed talking to him every year back when the shade tree model A club had their swap meet in Augusta. One year he gave me two large cans full of original bolts and small parts. I'm sorry to hear of his passing. His knowledge and ability will be a loss to the model A world in general.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 09:26 PM   #3
jkcrosson

I read of his passing a couple weeks ago. I was saddened that the model a community has lost a true veteran. I just pulled a Rex Reheis carburetor off my car after 14 years. Rex and his wife were class acts.
jkcrosson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 08:35 AM   #4
Steve Wastler

I was able to meet and have some nice conversations with Mr. Reheis at the williamsburg meet in 2007. Great guy and surely will be missed.
Steve Wastler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 09:21 AM   #5
peters180a/170b

Met Rex at Hershey in early 70's. There he stood behind his tables with egg holders[ 3 dz. flat cardboard egg holders before he went to foam...cardboard did not hold up with the rains of Hershey.] with shift knobs , restored and n.o.s. cutout's and his carbs. Bought my first carb from him in 1974 at Hershey for my 31 tudor sedan. Always had his carbs on my 5 Model "A's. 1 MARC meet[Ohio] i was parked back to back with him with my roadster.That morning i started the "A' up and next thing i knew Rex had his head under my hood removing the Idle mixture screw and replaced it.Car idled right down to where you can hear 1-2-3-4 and a short pause and then kicked right back up. From the other side where he was set up he heard my car not Idling right. The car went thru Start and idle judging with no problem and put a smile on Roger K. face. Yep the good old days and fond memories of old friends in the hobby.
peters180a/170b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 10:14 AM   #6
peters180a/170b

Don , good morning ....If i remember the story right Rex told me his job was fine tuning the Zenith carbs while in the service.
peters180a/170b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 12:35 AM   #7
Helen Ehrenhofer

Yes, he was a treasured contributor to the Model A News. Most articles were before my time as editor, but I have published some of his a-tips in the last few years.

I had received some that I was going to include in the Sept-Oct issue Im working on now.

I just heard about this from Wiley Higgins in Georgia - in the last week, when he sent me the obit. I will include some of it in the S/O issue. Very interesting background. Learned some stuff that I didn't know about him.

I loved his tips to me - there I would get these hand written letters from him and he would talk about being in his 90s and still loving his Model A's.

I don't have any photos of him - so if someone has a photo of him, I would love to include it with his last A-tips he sent to me. thanks!
Helen Ehrenhofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 07:15 AM   #8
Frank Nemo

Helen, in the July/August Model A News, page 66 there is a picture of Rex in an ad for his book on repairing carburetors.
Frank Nemo is offline   Reply With Quote