Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-08-2014, 07:26 PM   #41
ford3

Default Re: Frozen Distributor 351 Windsor (69)

also make sure the vacuum advance port is pointing at the original position mark you made, once the rubber O ring clears the dist hole it should come right out , you may have to turn, wiggle and pull up to get it out
ford3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 09:35 PM   #42
malloyjp

I pulled the distributor. It came out very easily. I just pulled up and out it came , no wiggling required. I cleaned it up , put new points and condenser on it. Put some anti-seize on the surfaces that were stuck. Suprisingly the O ring looked fine. Anyhow, it didn't drop down quite as easily as it came out. It's engaging on the gears but won't engage with the oil pump drive shaft. I know Ford3 mentioned this might happen. But I just want to mention when I look down the hole, the oil pump drive shaft is not centered. It's leaning to the passenger side. Any idea if this is normal ? I put a screwdriver down there an it will move around if I push on it. I can see that the top of the drive shaft is sitting down in the hole I estimate 1 inch(what I mean is it's not at the top of the hole. I don't know where it should be but just providing the details here). I do see a metal star washer down a little further on the drive shaft. My concern is , since it's not dropping down, is this play in the drive shaft a problem ? I have no idea if it's seated properly but the fact that it's leaning concerns me a bit. If I do get it to drop and the rotor isn't exactly where I marked it, do I have to yank it out and keep trying ? Thanks for reading this !
malloyjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 07:41 AM   #43
Ford blue blood

Very normal and quite common. Not a problem. There is a keeper on the shaft that will keep it from coming out (have to pull the oil pump to remove the shaft). Easiest way to engage is to insert the distributor, push down and engage the starter to turn the engine over. Then bring the engine back to top dead center.

I use a VOM to set the points. After making sure it is TDC on # 1 advance the timing marker until it is on the 8, 10 or 12 degree mark buy turning the crank shaft with a wrench on the balancer bolt clock wise (as you face the engine). DO NOT back up if you over shoot the desired timing mark, natural slop in the timing chain will make the timing off a little. Put the VOM on ground and and the point terminal on the distributor and adjust until the points just open (remember the rotor will turn CCW when running so to open the points at the desired timing turn the distributor CW).

2016 F-150
2016 Focus
08 Shelby GT500
57 Ford Ranchero
36 Chevy, 351C/FMX, 8", Mustang II
Ford blue blood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 10:13 AM   #44
malloyjp

Before I engage the starter, should I try to center the oil pump drive shaft with a blob of grease or is it ok to just leave it leaning off center ? Not sure what best practice is here. Thanks !
Old 08-11-2014, 11:48 AM   #45
LOWRIDER

No need to do that. The end of the oil pump shaft is tapered so it will engage the dist. when you bump the starter. Just follow Bills advise and you should have no problems.
Old 08-12-2014, 10:03 AM   #46
malloyjp

ok a few scenarios to mull over here: I haven't cranked it at all manually or by starter since i pulled distributor out. Just tried to re-install it so my rotor is pointing where it was when it came out. As you know it didn't drop down all the way. Rotor was pointing to #4 when it came out. If I bump the starter and it drops down but the rotor is not exactly on #4, what then ? At that point I imagine the crank will have moved and I've lost my chance to get it exactly where it was when it came out. Does close work here ? I keep reading how it needs to be exactly where it was when it came out. Or the other scenario is finding TDC first and try to get it to drop down pointing to #1, same issue, what if it drops not exactly not on #1. Do I have to keep resetting to TDC and trying again ? If it drops off a bit , is that ok ? Is there a trick to getting it to drop where you want it to ? Lastly lets say I get it to TDC and I check the harmonic balancer and it's not on zero, can that be corrected so I can trust it for timing in the future ? Thanks alot !
Old 08-12-2014, 10:16 AM   #47
40cpe

You are making this WAY too hard. If the dist is down within 1/4" or so of seating, the gear on the dist is mated with the gear on the cam. If you turn the engine to engage the oil pump drive the dist turns with the engine. If you have the dist set right now, it will be the same after the pump drive engages.

If the distributor is off when seated, you can pull the dist out enough to turn the rotor one tooth and reset as before.

You can use the crankshaft bolt in the bottom pulley to turn the engine if you are afraid to use the starter.
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 11:42 AM   #48
malloyjp

I know I know, I'm overanalyzing it. But I really want to learn this stuff and do a good job. I'll get there, thanks for hanging in there with me. I can tell you guys are really experienced, I really appreciate all the help. Thanks !
Old 08-12-2014, 03:21 PM   #49
ford3

it cant be off because as was said in another post, the dist gear is locked in the cam gear, the rotor turns with the crank being turned, just back up the crank and the rotor will be where you started, that's why its important to have the mark you made where the vacuum advance port is so you can turn the dist to point there, then you will be very close to being exactly in time, if not the timing can be adjusted by turning the dist
Old 08-13-2014, 09:28 PM   #50
malloyjp

I got the distributor to seat completely by hand. But the rotor is not pointing exactly where I marked it when I pulled it out. Appears off by one cylinder. so if it was pointing 4 oclock when it came out , it now pointing 5 oclock. I've not cranked the engine at all. Was hoping to drop in in exactly as it was when it came out. Can I work with this ? Thanks in advance.
Old 08-13-2014, 09:59 PM   #51
ford3

pull the dist back out, notice which way the rotor turned, turn the rotor about a 1/4" in the opposite direction and re install, if necessary keep pulling and reinstalling the dist till you get the rotor pointed at you mark
Old 08-14-2014, 12:39 PM   #52
gearhead1952

The rotor will turn as it seats. So you don't want the rotor in the exact spot as you insert. Once you install and remove a couple times you will get a feel for how much it will rotate as it seats.
gearhead1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 03:49 PM   #53
ford3

yes gearhead, nothing like experience, stuff like that is not covered in books or class rooms
Old 08-14-2014, 08:40 PM   #54
malloyjp

I'm happy to say that the distributor is now in place fully seated and rotor pointing to the same spot that I marked before I pulled it. I learned that it takes several attempts to get it to seat and even more attempts to get it to seat with the rotor in the right spot. You guys are right about when the gears engage it will turn the rotor some (clockwise). I'd like to say that I lead the rotor to the correct spot, but I think I just got lucky. The whole process is a little frustrating because you can't see any of these things that you're trying to get to fit together. I'll be back at it this weekend putting some things back together (removed AC compressor to access distributor) and trying to get it to start up. Thanks for everything you guys have helped a lot.

Joe
Old 08-15-2014, 08:51 AM   #55
56 Mercer

Great Job! This is a great accomplishment and a lesson that will certainly help you with your Mach I, or other projects in the future.
56 Mercer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 07:01 PM   #56
malloyjp

I noticed that once I re-wired the distributor that my points gap had changed. Is there some trick to getting this gap correct ? It keeps changing on me. Specifically, I think the gap is good, then I go to tighten the screw down and when I do that the gap changes on me. Considering this whole project was to get my timing right I want to get this part right. I didn't put much thought into my points purchase, I just got the cheap 8 dollar ones at the parts store. Should I spring for the motorcraft ones ? thoughts ? Thanks !
Old 08-17-2014, 07:22 PM   #57
40cpe

About the only thing that will change the point gap is a bad bushing for the drive shaft. You will have rough idle and skips with a wobbling cam on the distributor. Take the rotor off and try to move the shaft side to side. If it does, the bushing is worn. You can get rebuilt dist reasonably, about $70 at NAPA or about $40 at O'Reilly.

If the shaft is tight, about the only thing you can do is keep working at it until the gap turns out right. It might be a non-flat base on the points if they are cheapies. The best thing you can do is install a Pertronix uhit with a proper coil. Others here Poo-poo it, but it does away with so many problems. If it fails, (which it rarely does if installed correctly) you can just reinstall your points and be on your way.
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 11:48 PM   #58
ford3

always set the points on the work bench, that way if they do funny things you can correct it there instead of in the car, if the points are set that way they will not change gap when installed, if they do there is something in the dist that is not right
Old 08-17-2014, 11:55 PM   #59
ford3

have you counted how many guys have chipped in to help you? I counted 14, that's a lot of help and knowledge applied to one problem, and they do it for free, and that is the best part
Old 08-18-2014, 08:49 AM   #60
56 Mercer

I agree with ford3, sometimes setting point gap problems is in tightening down the set screw. I have had what I considered perfection then at the last second messed it up more than once. Now that pulling and reinstalling a distributor is old news setting the points on the bench under good light really is much easier to control all the variables.
56 Mercer is offline   Reply With Quote