Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-21-2012, 09:07 PM   #1
Don/WI

Default Dixi Brake Drum Lathe questions

I just purchased a Dixi Brake Drum Lathe. I looked for information on the internet with no luck. Does anyone out there have a Dixi or ever heard of one? Would like to obtain a parts/maintenance and/or an operating manual. It has a set of four (4) step pullies to change the turning speed. Also has manual or automatic cutting tool drive. Thanks for any help. Don/WI
Don/WI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 09:25 PM   #2
ericr

Default Re: Dixi Brake Drum Lathe questions

this is a long shot but there must be a place of manufacture on the unit somewhere. If you knew where it was made, I wonder if the local library or historical society there would have any information about the ultimate disposition of the company. If a successor company still exists in some format they might have some historical records, do you think?
ericr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:28 AM   #3
Don/WI

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericr View Post
this is a long shot but there must be a place of manufacture on the unit somewhere. If you knew where it was made, I wonder if the local library or historical society there would have any information about the ultimate disposition of the company. If a successor company still exists in some format they might have some historical records, do you think?
The name plate says "DIXIE MACHINE TOOL DIV. OF THENAVEY DRILLING MACHINE CO. CINCINATTI, OHIO" I looked for information on AVEY also with no luck. It seems odd that no one has any info on this Dixie Brake Lathe. Must be rather rare. Don/WI
Old 04-23-2012, 10:54 AM   #4
Bob C

Does it have a patent number?

Bob
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 02:24 PM   #5
Kevin in NJ

What did you get with the unit?

How about a picture?

Finding manuals for even the Barrett Drum Doktor is tough and they are common.

Did you get the adapters?

What diameter(s) is the arbor shaft?

I have some pictures and dimensions of adapters used with the Barret unit and they may be similar or the same.

With detailed pictures of the unit I am sure the guys on the board can give you all the info you need to use the machine.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 10:47 PM   #6
Don/WI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob C View Post
Does it have a patent number?

Bob
There are no patent numbers that I could find. It looks a lot like most of the pictures of Brake Drum Lathes that I have seen that are specifically for drums and not rotors. Don/WI
Old 04-23-2012, 10:57 PM   #7
Don/WI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin in NJ View Post

How about a picture?

Finding manuals for even the Barrett Drum Doktor is tough and they are common.

I have some pictures and dimensions of adapters used with the Barret unit and they may be similar or the same.

With detailed pictures of the unit I am sure the guys on the board can give you all the info you need to use the machine.
I got a box of adapters, but no identification as to what they may be used for. I suppose that I could measure them and match them with any drum that may come my way. There is one adapter that looks like an "A" hub with matching bolt circle. I bought it to use for Model "A" drums. I will take some pictures of the machine and adapters tomorrow if I can find the time. I am currently installing a rebuilt engine in my driver which is a '30 Town Sedan. That takes priority right now as our spring tour is May 6th. Don/WI
Old 04-24-2012, 07:19 AM   #8
Kevin in NJ

For the Barrett you will have 2 adapters that have rounded edges used on the front. The front hub needs to have its races installed so it is centered off the races.

The rear requires the seal to be removed and the bearing to be in the hub. The adapter acts like axle housing race and a taper is used to do the nut end.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 08:00 AM   #9
Kurt in NJ

I will contradict my Brother on the seal, the Barrett adapter fits with the seal, it has a shoulder that rests against the snap ring,or the bearing, he only saw me use it without the seal.

I don't know about how the arbor is on the Dixie, the barrett has a stepped arbor, and it has a sleeve to adapt the smaller diameter to the larger adapters, the larger arbor size is 1"---same as AAmco, also some manufactures would make almost the same piece of equipment for several names, my Barrett has a John Beam brand label.
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 05:42 PM   #10
ericr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don/WI View Post
The name plate says "DIXIE MACHINE TOOL DIV. OF THENAVEY DRILLING MACHINE CO. CINCINATTI, OHIO" I looked for information on AVEY also with no luck. It seems odd that no one has any info on this Dixie Brake Lathe. Must be rather rare. Don/WI
I looked on the Ohio Secretary of State's site for this Avey Co. and it went out of business through some kind of merger or acquisition back in the mid-50s. I guess the company in Cleveland that it merged with went out of business in 1980. The information is somewhat hard to interpret. Other than trying to track down information via some kind of contemporary mechanic's handbook like Dyke's printed around when your machine was made, I'd say the Dixie Brake Lathe is consigned to the mists of time.
ericr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:40 AM   #11
Don/WI

Default New Pictures Re: Dixi Brake Drum Lathe questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin in NJ View Post

How about a picture?

Here are some pictures of my Dixie Brake Drum Lathe and all of the adapters that came with it. Not sure if the adapters shown with tapered sides that are flat on two sides are for this machine. Anyone have a clue?

The arbor shaft is 0.687" dia x 3" long just behind the nut and 1.00" dia x 3.375" long for the second step.

If anyone has any info regarding the machine or the adapters I would appreciate your response. Thanks. Don/WI
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dixie Brake Drum Lathe 001.jpg (63.1 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg Dixie Brake Drum Lathe 002.jpg (40.6 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg Dixie Brake Drum Lathe 005.jpg (56.3 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg Dixie Brake Drum Lathe 006.jpg (52.4 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg Dixie Brake Drum Lathe 008.jpg (49.6 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg Dixie Brake Drum Lathe 010.jpg (57.6 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg Dixie Brake Drum Lathe 015.jpg (37.0 KB, 46 views)
Old 05-01-2012, 09:18 PM   #12
Kurt in NJ

It looks like you have a good assortment of adapters, perhaps some home made for special applications, when choosing an adapter for a bearing race it is best to choose one that rests against the surface that the drum is mounted on in the car.

For the rear hub of the A try some of the flanged ones in pic (83378)with the wheel bearing in, and one of the small tapered cones for the outside ---the smaller spindle size is the same as the Barrett I think, the larger 1" is the same as Barrett, and Aamco
Old 05-01-2012, 11:08 PM   #13
Jim Parker Toronto

"For the rear hub of the A try some of the flanged ones in pic (83378)with the wheel bearing in, and one of the small tapered cones for the outside ---the smaller spindle size is the same as the Barrett I think, the larger 1" is the same as Barrett, and Ammco."
Kurt is correct on these, very similar to what I use. For the front, I use two ball ended pieces that are double sided and slotted to fit tight.
I will try and post some pictures tomorrow if I can find some time. Jim
Jim Parker Toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 08:11 PM   #14
Jim Parker Toronto

Sorry Don/Wi, almost forgot to get your pictures for you! I also have a stepped shaft, like you, measuring 1" and .684". The 2 cones I use for the rear drums, and the other 2 slotted rounds I use in the front drums with the races installed. Also, in one picture you can see the "belt" which goes on the drum before any machining is done! This cuts down the static vibration produced by the drum turning and gives you a smooth cut. If you don't use it, it will look like squirrels were looking for nuts in the drum! Good luck, Jim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_4171.JPG (105.8 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg 100_4172.JPG (109.3 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg 100_4173.JPG (139.6 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg 100_4174.JPG (175.9 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg 100_4175.JPG (147.4 KB, 26 views)
Old 05-05-2012, 08:46 AM   #15
Don/WI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Parker Toronto View Post
Sorry Don/Wi, almost forgot to get your pictures for you! I also have a stepped shaft, like you, measuring 1" and .684". The 2 cones I use for the rear drums, and the other 2 slotted rounds I use in the front drums with the races installed. Also, in one picture you can see the "belt" which goes on the drum before any machining is done! This cuts down the static vibration produced by the drum turning and gives you a smooth cut. If you don't use it, it will look like squirrels were looking for nuts in the drum! Good luck, Jim
Thanks for the info Jim. What are the dimensions of the belt? Is it made of leather or some other material? How is it fastened after rapping it around the drum? Would velcro work? Could you post a close up picture of the belt? Thanks. Don/WI
Old 05-05-2012, 09:59 AM   #16
Kurt in NJ

I can take some pic of mine today, I think I have 2 different bands, both are rubber, one has little plugs of lead, the buckle hooks to them, the other is just rubber.
here is one on
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-1-3-4-Dr...009833&vxp=mtr
kinda$$, a long rubber bungee would work---wrap it around the drum tightly several revolutions.
Old 05-05-2012, 11:12 AM   #17
Jim Parker Toronto

Don, my belt is similar to that one but I don't think its worth that much! (not to me anyway). My belt is made of rubber, 1 3/4" wide, 62" long, and 1/4" thick. Here's a few pictures to follow up with. I would think that it would be easy enough to make..... I am showing it on an AR drum that is scrap, note the punch marks on the hub, outer race, and it is 0.060" over. I will not re-use or recycle these. Dangerous, worn out, seen better days, and now is just scrap metal!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_4176.JPG (119.4 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg 100_4177.JPG (165.9 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg 100_4178.JPG (133.1 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg 100_4179.JPG (139.7 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg 100_4180.JPG (127.0 KB, 26 views)
Old 05-05-2012, 06:20 PM   #18
supergnat

I just saw a new silencer belt on Amazon. This is a better price.

http://www.amazon.com/AMMCO-5280-Dru...6259504&sr=1-1

Good luck
supergnat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 01:17 AM   #19
KR500

Don I believe your Dixie lathe is the same as Lempco's brake lathe which was produced in Cleveland, Ohio. As long as the initial arbor dimension is 1.00" Ammco, Barrett, Rels, Kwik Way, Star, Van Norman adapters can be used. The fact that your arbor is stepped down to .684 diameter helps in mounting the tapered axle drums. Lempco no longer makes any auto related equipment. They strictly produce Die sets and related hardware for the tooling and die industry.
KR500 is offline   Reply With Quote