Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-15-2013, 01:04 AM   #1
68Chevelle

Default Chandler Groves Carburetor Info?

I bought a Chandler Groves carburetor and Stromberg 48 at an auction along with some various other carburetors for $15. I know that the berg is worth a whole lot more than that but I don't know/can't find a whole lot of information on the Chandler Grove. Some people say it was one year only then Holley took over the design and others say it was made more than one year. From what I gather that year is '38, correct me if I am wrong... Since I bought the Chandler I have been searching ebay and swap meets and look at every "94" for almost 4 years now in hopes of finding another one for. Are these hard to find and what should I expect to pay for one? Any information on them would be greatly appreciated because I haven't been able to gather too much on it.

Thank you for your time,
Thomas
68Chevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 02:22 AM   #2
ford38v8

Default Re: Chandler Groves Carburetor Info?

Tom, the CG was introduced on Fords in '38 as you've been told. Strombergs continued alongside the CG's until years end. The '38 CG had no model number on the driver's side. It continued into '39, but with the 91-99 model number in that location, continuing alongside the Ford 91-99, and possibly the Holley in that same year also, although the exact dates of release on each of the above carbs is not known, and may have been different from one assembly plant to another.
Old 02-15-2013, 11:33 AM   #3
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

Also...have a look at the outside of the part of the body casting that houses the accel pump to see who actually made the thing. H is Holley, F in either script or block letter is Ford. I don't know if CG actually made any of these model 78's...? They may have just put their name on there and outsourced manufacture? Ford made a small portion of its carburetor needs in-house, probably to have a bckup plan if there was a strike or disaster at Holley.
Bruce Lancaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 11:51 AM   #4
Tinker

I'll add my folklore of the CG to help confuse everyone.

CG designed the carb for ford and was manufactured by CG for one year, 38'. As demand exceeded CG's volume of production, Holley received order to produce the carb. Hence why the carb is the same except for the label casting on the outside.

True or not? No idea, read that once and it makes sense. Maybe a little abbreviated for a laymen. If you have a decent one, that's pretty cool.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:21 PM   #5
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

There is lots of confused and incomplete history drfting around these things! It would be great research project for someone able to hang out at the Ford archives.
I think it is generally acceped that CG was part of the design process, and then lost the contract after a year when it went to bid, I have heard somewhere that even CG supplied ones were outsourced to Holley for actual manufacture, but do not know if that is correct.
Small numbers were released on rouge cars during 1937 for field testing before actual adption in '38, hence the 78 part numbers.
I have several, all either H or F cast, and all somewhat muddled from parts swapping by rebuilders.
Old 02-15-2013, 12:37 PM   #6
ford38v8

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Lancaster View Post
...I have several, all either H or F cast, and all somewhat muddled from parts swapping by rebuilders.
Bruce, You hit the nail on the head. With all parts interchangable, you can't be positive you have a complete original or a composite. The best clue, however, is to compare the colors of the body and air horns. Being of uncertain alloys, castings from different batches were like different paint batches, seldom being an identical matching color.
Old 02-15-2013, 12:41 PM   #7
Tinker

Curious were is the F or H located? I have a stamped F on the lower left of the picture but nothing cast?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1529.jpg (39.9 KB, 105 views)
Old 02-15-2013, 12:44 PM   #8
jkeesey

The CG may not even be from a Ford. Packard used them left and right. Check to see if the part number line up as everyone else mentioned, if it doesn't it could be worth more than you think.
jkeesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:49 PM   #9
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

The cast letters would normally be right above where that stamped one is, on the actual barrel of pump. Maybe that's an early casting not yet replaced by Ford made molding equipent...?
Old 02-15-2013, 12:58 PM   #10
Tinker

Okay Bruce I thought maybe the f or h was cast, I agree it would be an interesting project to dig into.

I did find some more info on the earlyv8 site. Most already stated here.

http://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/pri...=18&Topic=1762

"The Ford manufactured carb. will have a small "F" on the accelerator pump housing. The Holley produced carb. will instead, have a small "H" in that same place. "

Learned something today! Good thread for anyone else wonder about these carbs.

Last edited by Tinker; 02-15-2013 at 01:04 PM.
Old 02-15-2013, 11:30 PM   #11
1952henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford38v8 View Post
Bruce, You hit the nail on the head. With all parts interchangable, you can't be positive you have a complete original or a composite. The best clue, however, is to compare the colors of the body and air horns. Being of uncertain alloys, castings from different batches were like different paint batches, seldom being an identical matching color.

That is only accurate if in fact the carburetor has never been subjected to certain cleaning chemicals, or been rechromated by Ford suggested recipes or independent rebuilders recipes. Experience has taught me that certain acids will make them ALL look alike when stripped. It is true that once dipped in chromate that some will look different.
Old 02-15-2013, 11:48 PM   #12
ford38v8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952henry View Post
[/B]

That is only accurate if in fact the carburetor has never been subjected to certain cleaning chemicals, or been rechromated by Ford suggested recipes or independent rebuilders recipes. Experience has taught me that certain acids will make them ALL look alike when stripped. It is true that once dipped in chromate that some will look different.
Henry, I'm not sure you really know what you're saying here. You say cleaning agents will make different alloys look alike, then you contradict yourself by saying that chromate can make some look different. Can you elaborate with details that make sense?
Old 02-16-2013, 07:15 AM   #13
1952henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford38v8 View Post
Henry, I'm not sure you really know what you're saying here. You say cleaning agents will make different alloys look alike, then you contradict yourself by saying that chromate can make some look different. Can you elaborate with details that make sense?
I stated the acid I use will make the castings look alike when stripped-very shiny. However, if the cleaning step before the acid didn't remove all traces of grease/oil before the chromate, I have two different looking finishes.

Last edited by 1952henry; 02-16-2013 at 07:49 AM.
1952henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 01:35 PM   #14
Ralph Moore

I couldn't find three good Strombergs for my Offy intake, so I bought an Edelbrock triple to go with the three Chandler-Groves that I had.
They still need kits in them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GEDC0677.jpg (66.7 KB, 22 views)
Ralph Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 05:38 PM   #15
joel

Not to steel the thread but is there any real difference between a 91-99 and a 21-29 model 94. I'm sorting possibilties for the 2 carb manifold for my 59 engine. I'm looking for a functional match.
joel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 07:38 PM   #16
ken ct
BANNED

I think the 21-29 has the float bowl breather tube in the neck of the air horn/ The 91-99 does not. I would use a matched pair if possible either set would work ok. ken ct. Both carbs are the same except the way the float bowl vents.
ken ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 08:43 PM   #17
joel

Thanks ken ct. , I have a nice 8BA maybe I'll lok for a mate to it.
joel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 12:14 AM   #18
68Chevelle

Wow very informative, just the info I was hoping to get. So it seems these are a two year carb. and are not particularly hard to find.

Thank you all who have helped contribute to this thread,
Thomas
68Chevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 12:22 AM   #19
ford38v8

Thomas, You are partially correct. Check the other current CG thread posted by Walt Dupont for a better understanding of the CG carb:
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=97928
Old 02-18-2013, 01:59 AM   #20
ken ct
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by joel View Post
Thanks ken ct. , I have a nice 8BA maybe I'll lok for a mate to it.
An 8BA does not have the extended shaft on the drivers side to hook the 2 together,i would not use 8BA's on a 2x2. ken ct.
ken ct is offline   Reply With Quote