Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-09-2014, 11:01 AM   #1
luvmyclassics

Default Disc brake conversion

I want to convert to front and rear disc brakes on my 51 f1. I am thinking of using the Speedway kit for the fronts and I am searching for a kit for the rears. Any help or suggestions is greatly appreciated.
luvmyclassics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 11:46 AM   #2
Don W/Norfolk

Default Re: Disc brake conversion

Before someone tells you to go to the HAMB, try Google for "Rear Disc Brake Kits."
Old 03-09-2014, 11:46 AM   #3
Charlie Stephens

If you click on the "Hot Rods and Customs" forum it will take you to HAMB. You will be more likely to get your answer there.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 01:18 PM   #4
dude

you might try www.ecihotrodbrakes.com.
Old 03-09-2014, 01:55 PM   #5
Ol' Ron

I just finished installing an ECI kit on a 42 front axel. The problems were as follows. The Press fit was .004" and driving the bearing adapter with a piece of pipe with a BFH didn't work. So I warmed up the adapter with a torch and it went right on. The second problem came when I tried to install the bearing. The adapter had grown by .002" and ther wasn't any way to remove it so I spent an hour with some 80 grit emery bringing it down to size. Next problem was the filit radius of the adapter was too lard for the bearing and it wouldn't seat properly. I solved that problem with a small chain saw file to reduce the radius. This problem may have been caused by the Chinese bearings. I haven't solved the last problem yet and that's the seal doesn't fit the adapter, too small all these bearings and seals were bought new from the local parts store including the rotors. I still have the passenger side to do so Iturned the diam of the adapter down .002" and reduced the fillit radius to half the size. Still thnking about the seal.
Last but not least the Ford washer is too larg and has to be turned down, not sure how to do this yet. Now I have to find a grease seal.
I hope this doesn't deter anyone from installing disk brakes on your early ford.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 02:31 PM   #6
Pete

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyclassics View Post
I want to convert to front and rear disc brakes on my 51 f1. I am thinking of using the Speedway kit for the fronts and I am searching for a kit for the rears. Any help or suggestions is greatly appreciated.
Try the Wilwood catalog.
I have installed several of their kits and have them on my car.
The thing I like about them is, THEY FIT, right out of the box.
No machine work, heat or diddling with parts to get them to fit.
Their stuff looks like aero space quality also, not something made by kids in a tent in the middle of a rice paddy.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 02:35 PM   #7
billwill

Eci 8608727046
billwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 03:18 PM   #8
Marvin/TN

Send a message via AIM to Marvin/TN

I installed an ECI kit on my 46 Coupe, no problems what so ever.
Marvin/TN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 03:19 PM   #9
Marv

Talking Re: Disc brake conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Ron View Post
I just finished installing an ECI kit on a 42 front axel. The problems were as follows. The Press fit was .004" and driving the bearing adapter with a piece of pipe with a BFH didn't work. So I warmed up the adapter with a torch and it went right on. The second problem came when I tried to install the bearing. The adapter had grown by .002" and there wasn't any way to remove it so I spent an hour with some 80 grit emery bringing it down to size. Next problem was fillit the radius of the adapter. It was too large for the bearing and it wouldn't seat properly. I solved that problem with a small chain saw file to reduce the radius. This problem may have been caused by the Chinese bearings. I haven't solved the last problem yet and that's the seal doesn't fit the adapter, too small all these bearings and seals were bought new from the local parts store including the rotors. I still have the passenger side to do so I turned the diam of the adapter down .002" and reduced the fillit radius to half the size. Still thinking about the seal.
Last but not least the Ford washer is too large and has to be turned down, not sure how to do this yet. Now I have to find a grease seal.
I hope this doesn't deter anyone from installing disk brakes on your early ford.
Old Ron if you are having the same trouble as i did with the washer and it sounds like you are, Just go to advance, NAPA, Auto Zone and get one For newer car. I think about any will do, Plymouth, Falcon. Chevy. They do not cost much. Good luck Marv
Marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 03:48 PM   #10
fordy_nine

I installed the ECI kit on my '49 front, only requiring a slight preheat of the adapter with a propane torch......Bob L
fordy_nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 04:17 PM   #11
mrtexas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin/TN View Post
I installed an ECI kit on my 46 Coupe, no problems what so ever.
Same with my 36 with 42 squareback spindles.
mrtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 08:16 PM   #12
Ol' Ron

It must be me then and my chinese bearings. I know one rthing that's fact, after driving on ther adapter you couldn't get the bearing on with out reducing the size of the adapter. I measures it and there was a .002 interface.
Old 03-10-2014, 07:39 AM   #13
GreenMonster48

I used the ECI kit this past summer. Went on fine. I had to take the spindles down just a hair with emery cloth to get the adapter to slide on.

Not sure I'd bother converting to rear discs unless you're building a superfast street machine. I suppose you know that they don't make a disc kit for the stock F1 rear.
GreenMonster48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 08:50 AM   #14
TJ

Going to discs in the rear is a lot of work and basically "overkill' on your old Ford. Put a power booster on your pedal assembly with the front discs and that will be all you need to stop on a dime.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 10:13 AM   #15
scooder

I would imagine that with discs on the back of a pickup, you'd absolutely need a proportioning valve. To stop them locking up with an empty truck, maybe wound so far as to deem the discs no better than the drums.
Martin.
scooder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 11:07 AM   #16
Ol' Ron

For those that used the conversion, are you sure the bearing was flush against the shoulder of the adapter. Probably wouldn' hurt if it didn't. Now that I think of it, I should have honed the inside of the adapter to the Ford spindle size. I tried driving it in with a 3 lb hand sledge and it just didn't want to go more than 1/2 way. ECI should make it the same size as the Ford bearing. I'm still not sure of the seal I bought and will go back to the auto store and check if I have the right one. I've been told the stock grese cap doesn't fit either. OH Well, learn sumpin every day.
Old 03-10-2014, 12:00 PM   #17
GreenMonster48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Ron View Post
For those that used the conversion, are you sure the bearing was flush against the shoulder of the adapter. Probably wouldn' hurt if it didn't. Now that I think of it, I should have honed the inside of the adapter to the Ford spindle size. I tried driving it in with a 3 lb hand sledge and it just didn't want to go more than 1/2 way. ECI should make it the same size as the Ford bearing. I'm still not sure of the seal I bought and will go back to the auto store and check if I have the right one. I've been told the stock grese cap doesn't fit either. OH Well, learn sumpin every day.
I seem to remember in my kit that you had to remove a wheel bearing from the rotors provided in the kit and replace them with other wheel bearings/seals that were also included in the kit.

I remember looking hard at the adapter after I put it on the spindle to guarantee it was all the way on. There was just a little bit of space between the adapter and the shoulder, but it just wouldn't go on any further. Everything seems tight and I've put probably 100 miles on since the swap.
GreenMonster48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 12:22 PM   #18
Fordors

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMonster48 View Post
I seem to remember in my kit that you had to remove a wheel bearing from the rotors provided in the kit and replace them with other wheel bearings/seals that were also included in the kit.

I remember looking hard at the adapter after I put it on the spindle to guarantee it was all the way on. There was just a little bit of space between the adapter and the shoulder, but it just wouldn't go on any further. Everything seems tight and I've put probably 100 miles on since the swap.
I was thinking along the same lines GM48. Ron, you bought Aspen rotors for the 4 1/2" BC, did you also buy wheel bearings and seals for same? I would think the outer bearings are OK, but the inners and possibly the inner bearing cones as GM48 suggests need to be swapped out for something different. The grease cap will need to match the rotor, and you might just reduce the diameter of the washer on your bench grinder. I'm sure Ralph Lisena, or one of his employees at ECI can advise on correct bearings/seals. Ralph is a great guy, and very helpful.
Fordors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 03:17 PM   #19
basel

I just ordered the basic kit from ECI for my 1939 ford pickup. They told I can't use my original wheels any more with this conversion. Can any one please tell me what wheels I should be using. I have 5 1/2 lug pattern. Is it a newer ford model wheel?
thanks.
basel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 04:10 PM   #20
51 MERC-CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by basel View Post
I just ordered the basic kit from ECI for my 1939 ford pickup. They told I can't use my original wheels any more with this conversion. Can any one please tell me what wheels I should be using. I have 5 1/2 lug pattern. Is it a newer ford model wheel?
thanks.
As ECI states in their listing - 73-93 Ford F100/F150