Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-10-2011, 10:00 AM   #1
joltesvig

Default Speedsters

Sparky (and anybody else out there), the speedster, like your sweet #17...is so awesome looking and must be really fun to drive....but...is it street legal?...can I just go out on regular streets and joy ride in it? I know I probably should put seat belts in my 31 Coupe for safety but I don't think they are required by law in antique cars? What about having open wheels (no fenders) like all the speedsters you have pointed me to...I think many localities or states require fenders / flaps or something to keep rocks from going ballistic? I wouldn't want to have a speedster and not be able to go out on the streets and have fun with it.
joltesvig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 10:23 AM   #2
howie123

Default Re: Speedsters

I have recently completed a 1928 Model A speedster. I purchased the body kit from Rootlieb. I bought it with the fenders for just the reasons you mentioned. Because I built the whole car from parts, I had much trouble getting a title and license. With the help of the Governor of WI I finally got a title and Hobbyist license. There are no restrictions on the car that I know of. I have not yet installed seat belts or turn signals although they may be coming. My understanding is that once they are installed they cannot be removed. Howie
howie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 11:11 AM   #3
ratamahata

Quote:
Originally Posted by joltesvig View Post
Sparky (and anybody else out there), the speedster, like your sweet #17...is so awesome looking and must be really fun to drive....but...is it street legal?...can I just go out on regular streets and joy ride in it? I know I probably should put seat belts in my 31 Coupe for safety but I don't think they are required by law in antique cars? What about having open wheels (no fenders) like all the speedsters you have pointed me to...I think many localities or states require fenders / flaps or something to keep rocks from going ballistic? I wouldn't want to have a speedster and not be able to go out on the streets and have fun with it.
Hey Joltesvig if you like the speedsters and the early races, I recomend you the book FUERZA LIBRE 1919-1942, Grand Prix, Sports Cars & Specials Racing in The Pampas, Guillermo Sánchez, Bonvivant Editions...
http://www.bonvivanteditions.com/fuerzalibre.html

And this excellent thread in THE HAMB (not only hot rods)
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...ht=auto+racing
ratamahata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 11:12 AM   #4
Jim Brierley

I have over 6,000 miles on my Rootlieb, with no trouble from the law. It is fenderless, no turn signals, but all other items required are in place and working. Howie is right about not being able to remove them once installed, but why wouldn't you install safety items? Jim in So Cal.
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 11:20 AM   #5
Sparky

Hello again. The answer really depends on your state regs. I have an "antique" registration which is pretty lenient here. As for fenders, I assumed a "don't ask, don't tell" policy when I registered it, and I haven't had any problem so far. Police even wave at me when I drive past them. Turn signals are not required, but I added them for my own peace of mind.
Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 03:59 PM   #6
Ross/Kzoo

I've had mine for 3 1/2 years now and so far I've been left alone. I definitely would/did put in seat belts. I think that it mostly depends on where you live. Some communities are strict and some are more lenient. best way to find out is to find someone locally that has a speedster. Your profile doesn't say where you are from.
Ross/Kzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 05:31 PM   #7
howie123

I am in agreement with Jim. The seat belts and turn signals are not required, but they are on my list of things to do. I appreciate the input I get from this forum. Howie
howie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 08:37 PM   #8
Hotrodster

In my real life, lol, I operate heavy equipment. I have some older equipment with no rollover protection, and some later machines with rollover protection. The rule of thumb is, on machines with no rollover structure, you never wear a seat belt because you will be strapped to the machine with no protection. I feel the same way about cars, if it doesn't have a substantial roof structure or roll bar, you don't want to strap yourself to it.
Hotrodster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 12:05 PM   #9
Sparky

I agree with you about the heavy equipment; the most likely accident is a rollover. However, on the street I'm more concerned with hitting a pothole or getting bumped at a stop light, so I decided to install seat belts on the speedster.
Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote