Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-01-2014, 09:41 AM   #41
mshmodela

Default Re: What Part Would You Want to See Reproduced with Quality?

I suspect that over the 80+ years vendor who make new parts take a few and re-engineer them... Example, I replaced my distributor set screw and the dimple that should have mated with the distributor shaft was way to large in diameter to mate... I can only guess there might be several different distributor shaft (female sizes) out there and how the size difference came about...

Late 31' Ford Model A Tudor, Miss Daisy

I don't work on cars --I'm learning about my Model A.

Cleveland, Ohio
mshmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 10:26 AM   #42
Fred
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshmodela View Post
I suspect that over the 80+ years vendor who make new parts take a few and re-engineer them... Example, I replaced my distributor set screw and the dimple that should have mated with the distributor shaft was way to large in diameter to mate... I can only guess there might be several different distributor shaft (female sizes) out there and how the size difference came about...
What ???
Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 11:33 AM   #43
ericr

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
ericr;919977 said;

Well, yes and no, isn't it? I just posted a comment where I returned a US made open car door lock that was substantially more expensive than foreign made but no greater in quality. On the flip side, Brattons's new headlamp reflectors seem to be gathering praise (and hopefully sales) and are substantially higher in cost than the former ones. Am I to think Walt doesn't know what he is doing or never heard of ROI?
No, Walt & Jeff are pretty smart guys who have traveled down this road many miles however most folks do not realize the behind-the-scenes obstacles they had to overcome just to manufacture reflectors. If I recall correctly, these have been 3-4 years in the making trying to find a manufacturer that will take on the project, produce in small (-affordable) quantities, and supply with Q/C from batch to batch. It goes without saying that if it were not for Walt's "depth" of his other parts, the reflectors would likely have never came to fruition by him. In other words, an average small businessman could not take the same idea and manufacture reflectors, and survive off of the sales. So what does that say about the parts manufacturing business in general?

Members have commented on who sells better running boards and trim, better nuts and bolts, carb jets, points, condenser and many other things and I think you advise people where to buy better fender welting.
Ok, you DO realize there is a magazine that is supposed to offer this very information to hobbyists.

The thought to ponder is how do folks here REALLY know which is better quality? How many on forums offer/give that advice based on hearsay but have no first-hand experience with the advice they are giving you? You mentioned running boards, ...so how many posters here actually get to personally install a pair from both vendors within a short amount of time to be able to say why one is better than the other. Adding to that, how many actually have studied the original item to compare? Very, -very few get this opportunity,--and that is why finding a parts vendor you can have a solid relationship with who gets feedback from reliable sources is key.

As far as "better" though, when you read some of the posts above, "better" is also defined as 'something affordable' or 'something that will get me by'. Those folks are being honest, ...many others have that same thought or mindset but choose not to speak it verbally however they show it with their wallet by what they purchase. Face it, if two like items are available in repro., it stands to reason that the better quality item will force the lesser-quality item to no longer sell and the manufacturer of the poorer-quality item ceases production in a matter of time. The problem is, the vendors will tell you that history dictates that just isn't the case.

I think nature, size, complexity and ultimate price of the part at issue might also be involved in the mix. Surely no one expects sellers to take a risk of loss but I also suspect there is some pecking order of parts dealers, some of whom can afford to take greater risks of ROI than others.
Trust me when I tell you that manufacturers AND sellers alike take a HUGE risk every time they place an order. There seemingly is no loyalty amongst hobbyists, and as such the majority of sales is driven off of price & convenience. Take this for example, let's suppose the word is getting around about how nice Walt's new reflectors really are. Now, a small (greedy) businessman buys a couple of his reflectors and sends them off to China or India to have the reverse-engineered and copied. Now without the R&D expense Walt incurred, nor his Marketing expenses or product acceptance risk, this person imports his reflectors and retails them for $20 less because his overhead/risk was lower. You know that Loyalty 'thingie' I just spoke about, there ain't none! Folks will get on the forums and tout how the new import is cheaper and just as good! Now Walt is left holding the bag trying to get at least get back to a break-even position.

Did someone say Nah, that probably wouldn't happen?. Don't tell that to me. If you don't believe me, then research Model-A brake drums and the like!! How is any of this good for the hobby? Justify it any way you like, but poor quality parts are the direct fault of the hobbyist, and not the vendor! The parts vendor/manufacturer only does what the customer asks for!
well nobody has so undercut Champion 3X plugs so as to cause them to cease production, and whenever anyone mentions them on Amazon, there is a stampede to buy them at a modest savings. But I am sure there is far more truth than poetry to what you are saying. I simply hope there are enough restorers that are willing to put their $ where their mouth is, and support our suppliers that take the risk to market better-quality parts.

If you read the publications, even when the cars were new, after-market suppliers were undercutting the factory on quality vs. price. Northing new under the sun, is there.
ericr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 11:33 AM   #44
heneste

I too wouldn't mind seeing gas tanks being put into production but , as has been mentioned in other posts, it's probably due to liability issues.

I agree with Brent's comments regarding vendors options of doing production runs at feasible costs. No vendor wants to stock his shelves with parts that are so expensive to produce that no one buys them and he's stuck taking the loss.

I'm sure the vendors want the best quality part for the best possible price but it economically boils down to production costs and likelihood of being able to sell the item.
The quality of a given repro part doesn't necessarily increase as the price increases....it may just be the area it was produced that has higher labour costs, taxes, etc.
heneste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 11:55 AM   #45
BlueSunoco

Perhaps, also good snaps for Roadster side curtains and tops. Seems like someone was working on that a couple years ago...............
BlueSunoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 03:18 PM   #46
31Abone

Head light connectors that work..conduit in back of head light to head light itself... Chinese junk don't work.
31Abone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 04:02 PM   #47
peters180a/170b

Speaking as a Fine point restoration supporter ...the 2 following parts.... #1 CORRECT UPPER + LOWER WATER HOSES and CORRECT FAN BELTS... WOULD I BE PUSHING IT BY SAYING BRING BACK THE CORRECT TOP ROUND 3 SPARK PLUGS....P.S. I AM NOT SHOUTING ....I JUST WORKED AND BEEN UP NOW FOR 14 HOURS AND FINISHED 15 DAYS STRAIGHT OF WORK...just love that hope and change
peters180a/170b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 06:58 PM   #48
Barry B./ Ma.

I agree with 1930 coupe about the headlight switch, I took apart one new one that the inside contact was assembled about 5 degrees off. I have 3 or 4 of the new ones in the junk box.

Last edited by Barry B./ Ma.; 08-01-2014 at 07:03 PM. Reason: added info.
Barry B./ Ma. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 09:00 PM   #49
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericr View Post
well nobody has so undercut Champion 3X plugs so as to cause them to cease production, and whenever anyone mentions them on Amazon, there is a stampede to buy them at a modest savings. But I am sure there is far more truth than poetry to what you are saying. I simply hope there are enough restorers that are willing to put their $ where their mouth is, and support our suppliers that take the risk to market better-quality parts.

Your example of the 3x is interesting for the reason that they have been out of production for several years and a run was just made off-shore to fill the 'pipeline' again however speculation is the plug will be unavailable after this round. The reason Champion halted production was this was a hand-assembled item, and labor costs here in the States made them cost prohibitive to manufacture.

If you read the publications, even when the cars were new, after-market suppliers were undercutting the factory on quality vs. price. Northing new under the sun, is there.
Two totally different scenarios in my view and not the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heneste View Post
I too wouldn't mind seeing gas tanks being put into production but , as has been mentioned in other posts, it's probably due to liability issues.
That myth has been discussed here many times before and it is my opinion there is just too many differences and tooling costs. If it were indeed from liability issues, then we would not be able to purchase new reproduction tanks for Model-Ts nor for the early V-8 Fords.

I agree with Brent's comments regarding vendors options of doing production runs at feasible costs. No vendor wants to stock his shelves with parts that are so expensive to produce that no one buys them and he's stuck taking the loss.

I'm sure the vendors want the best quality part for the best possible price but it economically boils down to production costs and likelihood of being able to sell the item.
The quality of a given repro part doesn't necessarily increase as the price increases....it may just be the area it was produced that has higher labour costs, taxes, etc.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 02:14 AM   #50
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

What Part Would You Want to See Reproduced with Quality?

That's the title of the thread. Not why they are not made.
We sure do have a lot of negative posts on making parts.

Maybe we should just give up?

How many things do we take for granted today that the inventors or manufacturers were told, too hard, nobody would want them. How many failures before success.

I hope my kids don't read this and get the idea that only easy things or things with great profit are worthwhile!

If I sound a little pissed I am! All I seem to hear every day everywhere is why something cannot be built, cannot be cured, cannot be solved, cannot, cannot, cannot.

Ever seen a circus elephant? Every wonder why they don't just pull that little stake out of the ground and walk away? When they are young they don't have the strength to do it. They pull and pull, day after day, week after week, month after month. When they get older, they lose the will to pull.

Are we losing the will to pull? Too hard, too complicated?
Old 08-02-2014, 05:56 AM   #51
ronn

damn Mike, couldnt agree with you more!

What happened to America? (OK another time...........).

so I still want new gas tanks.......... ( or rebuilt old ones)

A 500. donation to McPherson-they gut out the old ones, you get to write it off, they get practice, somebody put it together........... the school could use the support.
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 08:12 AM   #52
peters180a/170b

OK Brent ...meet me 1/2 way then...L.O.L. .... IF Champion spark plug company would take orders in advance [something like the 1931 running boards] and reproduce the PORCELAIN INSULATOR W/ ROUND 3 / ELECTRODE with CORRECT KNURL NUT and BRASS CAP or even without the correct knurl nut that would cut down on the labor cost for putting them together...Someone made a really nice base out in C.A. which i bought a set and there are original bases around... One other thing too is a replacement Thermometer/TEMPERATURE GAUGE for the original MOTORMETER .Anyone still selling reproduction Motormeter's ??? I have 3 originals that work but will like to take them apart and have plated....
Old 08-02-2014, 09:49 AM   #53
Fred
BANNED

Pete, I have had them plated with the Thermometer in place and all was fine, but remember they are pot metal !!
Old 08-02-2014, 09:53 AM   #54
johnbuckley

Tires that are tough and last more than 12000 miles. ditto really good inner tubes
johnbuckley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 10:06 AM   #55
FL&WVMIKE

What would happen if an individual, or company, did decide to make a really nice part and asked for investors, on here, to help soften the blow, if it did not make a profit ?
How many would invest, even if they thought it was a "winner" ?
Just thinking.
MIKE (mikeburch)
FL&WVMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 11:17 AM   #56
peters180a/170b

i am just saying ..if you increase the membership dues to each[MARC/MAFCA] by lets say $1.00 to improve a part or parts to continue the preservation [restoration] of the Model "A' Ford i am sure no one will object. If as a group contact a Model "A' Supplier [BRATTONS /SNYDERS [we don't need more then 1] to find a manufacture that they deal with will do the right thing by us on the correct reproduction of a part needed ..How many members do we have between the 2 clubs ??? 30 / 40 ???thousand /// I am sure with that kind of money someone can reproduce the correct headlight switch...and change left over...for the new part.
Old 08-02-2014, 11:29 AM   #57
Fred
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by peters180a/170b View Post
i am just saying ..if you increase the membership dues to each[MARC/MAFCA] by lets say $1.00 to improve a part or parts to continue the preservation [restoration] of the Model "A' Ford i am sure no one will object. If as a group contact a Model "A' Supplier [BRATTONS /SNYDERS [we don't need more then 1] to find a manufacture that they deal with will do the right thing by us on the correct reproduction of a part needed ..How many members do we have between the 2 clubs ??? 30 / 40 ???thousand /// I am sure with that kind of money someone can reproduce the correct headlight switch...and change left over...for the new part.
That would NEVER go over with a whole bunch of people for many-many reasons !!..
Old 08-02-2014, 04:19 PM   #58
dumb person

i thought brattons made some good innertubes?. Gastanks would be nice but i read they come in 7 flavours. Maybe if there was a "1 size fits all" replacement bottom patch panel that ran all the way up to the top edges of the tank people might weld it in at their own risk?
What parts would i like to see?.... hmm... heaps of things are made good enough already but i find it hard to buy them.

"I'm Convinced that no one really reads posts anymore; they just fabricate what they think the post says then ramble on about red herrings."--Bob
Outcasts rules of old cars
#1 Fun is imperative, mainstream is overrated
#2 If they think it is impossible, prove them wrong
#3 If the science says it impossible you are not being creative enough.
#4 No shame in recreating something you never had
#5 If it were not for the law & physics you would be unstoppable
dumb person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 06:30 PM   #59
dankurth

Ronald Wilson Reagan. Just bring him back, the quality was already there.
dankurth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 08:02 PM   #60
700rpm

Nickel plated parts that should be nickel plated. Easy to do. Also, a good 28-29 gas cap. Radiator cap too.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote