Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-24-2014, 07:42 PM   #61
cdan34

Default Re: Tell me this noise isn't what I'm afraid it is.

I had the same problem. I was burning the midnight oil and I forgot to put one head gasket on. Stupid mistake ! When I started it up, it ran but the noise made me stop it right away. Off with the head and that was the problem. The pistons were hitting the heads about two thirds towards the diameter of the piston. I checked everything, there was a small mark on the pistons where it was hitting but bearing clearance was OK. I've got 1500 miles on it now, and no problems yet. I was fortunate on that bad mistake!

When you find the problem, let us Know !

Good luck
Cdan34
cdan34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 07:44 PM   #62
1937pickup

I just feel so bad for you-you take such good care of your car and you love to drive it and now this. I would contact your rebuilder for a refund.
1937pickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 11:26 PM   #63
Old Henry

Wow! People who really care. I guess that's why I keep coming back to the barn. It's not just a bunch of numb nuts that only seek and share info, there's a real community here to help.

All it will probably take is for me to get excited about another road trip. Then I'll at least pull the pan off and see what I can see where those front two pistons connect. Won't know what I'm looking for but I'm thinking Old Chuckles up the street will know. I'll call him tomorrow for a consult.

Only have two other barners in the state but their both an hour or two away.

Thanks again for all of your caring and support. I'll let you know how it goes, if anything goes at all.

Last edited by Old Henry; 08-24-2014 at 11:34 PM.
Old Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 11:30 PM   #64
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1937pickup View Post
I just feel so bad for you-you take such good care of your car and you love to drive it and now this. I would contact your rebuilder for a refund.
My rebuilder actually did the last rebuild for nothing. I wrote him a check for the full amount of a rebuild and he never cashed the check. In spite of all of the heckling he's received from some I'd probably take it back to him again since he's been so good to me in the past and I know of no one else in my state that still rebuilds flatheads and has had 40+ years doing it.
Old 08-25-2014, 09:18 AM   #65
Ronnie

OH Doing a quick search these fellows have all the equipment required. http://www.huntermachine.com/ There also appears to be more shops that could perform the machine work.
You only have an old v8 ford.The basic machine requirements could be done in that shop in a heart beat.You will need to get that engine apart to confirm what failed.

R

Last edited by Ronnie; 08-25-2014 at 09:25 AM.
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 01:13 PM   #66
Old Henry

Any harm in running on 6 cylinders?

After a week of withdrawals from not driving "Old Henry", afraid that the knocking sound in the engine would get worse and make things worse before I could find someone to fix it, I had this scathingly brilliant idea last night to just pull the wires off of the plugs on those two front offending pistons and drive on 6 cylinders. So I did. Took a ride up the canyon that I've missed. Was a bit rough and slow on the start from stop and slower going up hill but above 40 mph, when the knocking used to kick in, the engine seemed to run as smooth as on 8 cylinders without any knocking. I don't think I'd take a road trip that way but any harm of a daily cruise on 6 cylinders?
Old 08-30-2014, 01:39 PM   #67
dwaynec

If it were me I wouldn't drive it. Even though the cylinders are not firing they are still getting compression that will put stress on the damaged part of the motor. That could cause more damage. Then there is the stresses caused by an engine that is running rough, and the emissions of unburied fuel to consider.

Again this is just my opinion.
Old 08-30-2014, 01:48 PM   #68
Mart

Sorry Prof, but it is not a good idea to keep running it. The worn parts are still flailing around.

You need to accept that Old Henry will need some down time. The time you spent driving could have been spent pulling the motor.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 01:55 PM   #69
Old Henry

I kinda though that.

I actually have a lead on a guy within a mile of me who may remove the engine and fix it and reinstall it. I'll know Tuesday. That would sure be nice. Hope that works out. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 08-30-2014, 04:13 PM   #70
B-O-B

Any harm in running on 6 cylinders?
Not if it is a 6 cylinder, not so good if you have 8.!!!
B-O-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 04:14 PM   #71
Mike51Merc

Back in the old days, guys would just drop the pan and put in a new set of rod bearings. If the journals aren't cooked, you might get away with doing just that.
Mike51Merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 06:01 PM   #72
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike51Merc View Post
Back in the old days, guys would just drop the pan and put in a new set of rod bearings. If the journals aren't cooked, you might get away with doing just that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ford3 View Post
Old Henry, before you go to far pull the pan and those two rods, mic the crank, you might just get away with polishing the throw and installing new bearings
I'm still interested in this idea that the necessary repair might be made without removing the engine. I have removed the oil pan before so know how to do that and can do that. I'm just not sure what to look for after that. Here's a diagram of the crankshaft, piston, and connecting rods for me to ask some questions that I'd need to know if I try to fix this whether the engine is in or out of the car.

So, first off, I'm not sure what the "journals" are that have been mentioned. Is that the surface of the section of the crankshaft that the connecting rods connect to? If so, how would one know whether or not they are "cooked"?

Is 6211 the bearings that might need replaced? How would I know?

If I remove the oil pan can I grab the connecting rods for pistons 1 and 5 and detect enough looseness to know what the problem is and how to fix it?

How do I know whether it's a wrist pin, broken piston, connecting rod bearing, or "journal" that needs repaired?

I'd dearly love to believe I could fix this with the oil pan off but I have a lot of doubts, even if the engine was out, about my knowledge and abilities.
Old 08-30-2014, 06:07 PM   #73
Ross F-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Henry View Post
How do I know whether it's a wrist pin, broken piston, connecting rod bearing, or "journal" that needs repaired?
Complete disassembly and inspection. There are repairs that might get you by for a while, but I assume you want an engine you can trust in the middle of the Great Basin?
Old 08-30-2014, 06:12 PM   #74
Old Henry

Sure hope I can find someone to do the job.

Last edited by Old Henry; 08-30-2014 at 06:30 PM.
Old Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 07:23 PM   #75
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Henry View Post
Sure hope I can find someone to do the job.
Crate it up and send it to me. It WILL be done correctly the first time. Guaranteed.
Joke all ya want about my "trailer queens" but rest assured each and every one is built to run down the road better than new. That "pretty" goes way beyond what a guy can see.

Last edited by Kube; 08-30-2014 at 07:47 PM.
Kube is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 07:41 PM   #76
KiWinUS

or "ME"
KiWinUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 07:53 PM   #77
Lawrie

Or Walt,
Henry,you need to take one of these guys offer up,
You. Don't need to end up not being able to travel around in ol Henry ,
We had to do our trip in our fairlane,not as good as traveling in the 33 , but still good fun.
Lawrie
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (78.9 KB, 40 views)
Lawrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 10:50 PM   #78
lonewolf

Drain the oil. If its a rod the oil will be full of metal or look glittery
lonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 11:37 PM   #79
Flowmeister

Seems like some real genuine offers of help here.
That's great to see!
Flowmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 11:46 PM   #80
the cooch

My humble suggestion is to grab a runner and throw it in, send the o.g. mill to the shop and get the rotating assembly replaced with stroker crank and parts (or just repaired) then resell the motor you don't need ( or find a spot in the garage for it) when you get the old motor back. Running motor in your area should be fairly easy to find and less money than a major rebuild and you can get the car on the road, pay for the machine work in stages and enjoy the peace of mind you get from the cars original engine being remanufactured carefully. Somebody near you has a hoist, and a motor and some time, I'm 8 hours away with a hoist and an engine ready to throw in the back of the bronco and the next three days off- 'cause the ford barn without you road tripping and posting pics just ain't right!
the cooch is offline   Reply With Quote