Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-23-2014, 12:16 PM   #1
Old Henry

Default How to remove front top shackle bushing?

Thanks to some good friends with sharp eyes on the barn I have discovered my upper shackle bushings on the front of my 47 are very worn and needing replaced.

I tried pounding them out years ago but they wouldn't budge. What else to try?

And, a related question is, where do I get that bushing? The usual suppliers don't seem to have it. I suppose if I can't find one but could get this one out in one piece I could just put it back in upside down and wear on the other surface for the next couple of hundred thousand miles?

Until then, I'm certainly going to pack that space with grease to reduce the wear until I can replace it.

Last edited by Old Henry; 06-23-2014 at 12:30 PM.
Old Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 12:24 PM   #2
cmbrucew

Default Re: How to remove front top shackle bushing?

Prof.
Fire dragon ( cutting torch ) works good for shackle pin bushings or walking beams.
Bruce
Old 06-23-2014, 12:38 PM   #3
Mart

First safely remove the spring. (make sure the jack don't slip).

Knock the pin through (you might have to cut it in half to clear the axle) or pull it out forwards if you can.

Get a hacksaw blade in there and cut through the wall of the tubular outer shell (or remnants thereof).

Get a chisel behind the shell and collapse it inwards.

It's a lot easier to write than do.

Actually putting the new ones in is sometimes harder, they want to belly out when being pressed in. There must be a proper tool for it, but I've normally managed with suitable size sockets. I did have to take a vice to the rear axle on my 33 as it was the only thing strong enough to press the new ones in.

Your problem may be dealing with the worn lower area of the hole. With the whole world watching it will be difficult to do a bodge-it-and-scarper type job.

There may be some street rod type bushings that could be used that would make the job simpler, but your car is a lot heavier than the A's and 32's they're usually used on.

On a different, but connected subject, the third leaf on the leaf spring looks to be quite sharp on the end and it looks like it has been digging into the second leaf.

By the way, changing perch bushes is one I hate with a vengeance.

Here's my struggle with the rear perches on my 33. I don't think even this would work on your front end.

Good Luck.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 12:52 PM   #4
Henry Hopper

I've just been through this with my 40.....I removed the pin by using a blowtorch and burning the rubber until it became loose and then knocked it through.Next as Mart said, cut through the sleeve with a junior hacksaw and then got a punch and tried drifting it out......no way was it going to budge, so I started heating the sleeve until it got cherry red and tried again....this caved the end in and a few small bits broke out.I had previously made a drift punch out of an old socket extension by turning the female end down to the diameter of the sleeve when I did the rear shackle bushes.....I heated the outer sleeve(perch) and proceeded to whack it with my sledge hammer.........eventually one came out....the other was a real PITA and only came out when I took the wishbone off and set it up in the vice where I could really give it some pain.

It really is a nasty job and there are no quick fixes unfortunately...the only job worse is trying to get perch bolts out of an axle/ wishbone assembly.

Good luck...and wear good gloves to save your knuckles.
Henry Hopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 12:55 PM   #5
Andy

I put replacment shackles in my 32. The rubber collapsed after 3 months and the spring was tuching the axle again. I have used hot rod shackles on my roadster since 1970. I use oilite broze bushings in them instead of the plastic. I took it all apart recently and found negligble wear. The original style shackles were from Mac's. The hot rod shackles are very easy to install.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 01:08 PM   #6
Old Henry

I got the pin/bolt out pretty easy since the hole it was in is so oversized now from the wear. And, it may be that the bushing is so thin, if non-existent on the bottom worn side, that it might give way and come out easier than I'm thinking. If not, it won't take much sawing on that thin section to cut through it allowing the bushing to collapse and let loose. We'll see.

My other thought is to drill it out with progressively larger bits. That would only work if the bushing is softer than the perch such that the bit would bite more off of the bushing than the perch.

Just thinking out loud here.

Of course, if I can't find a replacement bushing there won't be much to do but just grease that baby up regularly to retard any further wear -hopefully for the duration of my use of it.
Old 06-23-2014, 03:25 PM   #7
Mart

I strongly advise trying to find some NOS parts, the modern repro parts are copies of copies of copies by progressively less skilled copiers.

Utter crap is another way of putting it.

Don't try drilling it out. It's 3/4" od and the drill will grab and twist your arm off.

Mart.
Old 06-23-2014, 03:32 PM   #8
Old Henry

Is this the bushing? http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Replacem...a4eb57&vxp=mtr

It doesn't look like it but if it is I'll buy it.
Old 06-23-2014, 03:42 PM   #9
Lawrie

Henry,I have a u shaped piece of 1in plate that is about10 inches between the U.
I use a selection of round pieces of bar that are just smaller than the OD of the bush and have a hole in the middle so the shackle pin can go in,the I use a small port power cylinder and push them out,
If you want pics let me know.
Lawrie
Lawrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 04:09 PM   #10
Torchie

My 2 cents.
I needed to replace all the shackle and studs on my 41. They are the metal sleeve type with the rubber around the stud/pin.
Used a torch to melt the rubber and pushed out the stud.
Then I used an 11/16 drill bit with a T handled drill and drilled out the metal sleeve. Just enough sleeve was left to use a small punch to curl back and remove the remainder.
I used 11/16 on the drill bit as that seems to be the size of the tool that is sold to install and remove these with. Yes you need to be careful as the drill will want to spin. Hence the T handled drill.
Best done with the axle removed from the car.
Good luck Henry
Torchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 04:11 PM   #11
bill h

I think what you want is part number 21a 5304. All the major companies (van pelts lists them in his on lone catalog. So does Midwest EarlyFord. Take them to a spring shop. They will install them in about one minute. They have the right tools . I have wrecked more than one when trying to install them even with a press. They cheap order a extra Bill
bill h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 04:13 PM   #12
ford3

use a brake hone and run it thru the bushing hole and taper the end of the bushing, polish the bushing, hook up the bushing to your drill press and use emery cloth to polish, use stp for lubricant it sure makes it easier to press in
ford3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 04:46 PM   #13
Lawrie

Here is the stuff I use.
It is easy to use on the rear of the 33 in place,but I just did one on the right front in place and it was a bit awquard Also Henry, you want to do what I did and disassemble the spring,clean it polish off the grooves,layer it in grease then wrap it in Denso tape,you won't believe how nice it rides after that,also it will keep all that snow and stuff we don't have here out of the spring.LOL
Lawrie
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P6240250.jpg (53.0 KB, 196 views)
Lawrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 04:47 PM   #14
Brian

Before you fit your nice new shackle pin assembly, you're going to have to get the hole round again. It is elongated where the pin has chewed into it. Need to build up the worn portion and ream back to size. As previously stated, the hole should be 3/4" dia.
Plus, as Mart has identified, the spring leaves are badly grooved, this whole assembly should be removed and overhauled.
Old 06-23-2014, 05:08 PM   #15
Mart

To answer the question about the bush, no that isn't the right one.

Use Macs online catalog to look it up and get the part number. Then google it and see what you can find.

I'd do it now, but I got to turn in.

Mart.
Old 06-23-2014, 05:24 PM   #16
Old Col

Hi Henry, Ford made a shackle bush press to do this unpleasant job. It looks like this,

....it uses a variety of different size mandrels to press the bushings in and out, mandrels are recessed in the end to seat the curved ends of the original bushings so as to not crush the ends as they are pressed in place. The mandrel is the piece between the end of the thread and the new shackle in the picture. Usually the bushes won't press out after lengthy service as they're distorted like yours are,so Mart's hacksaw method of removal works well. Make sure you do what others have already advised,clean up the bores and polish the shackle outer case,then layer on plenty of lube......don't be tempted to try to smack them in with a big hammer, all that'll happen is they'll go part way in and the ends will deform and bell out and not go in,or come out again. I've found modern repro's to be fairly soft in the casing, so if you can track down original NOS items somehow,it'll be worth the effort. Repro's tend to have rubber inserts in them where Ford used a woven fabric impregnated with lube. It outlasts the thin low grade rubber signifigantly ( as already mentioned), ....
Old Col is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 06:00 PM   #17
Old Henry

Looks like the bushing comes with the bolt/pin/stud in a kit with the shackles and lower bolt/stud/pin and bushings. Couldn't find NOS so ordered the complete kit from C&G. When it comes in I'll decide how to switch the parts out. I may try a little pounding to get the old bushings out but if not quickly successful will turn it over to the local old car garage with guys my age that have actually worked on these old cars to remove the old bushing and install the new stuff. I'll keep my old original shackles as no new ones are sculptured like they are but replace the rest of the parts.

Last edited by Old Henry; 06-23-2014 at 10:58 PM.
Old Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 07:22 PM   #18
russcc

The KR Wilson tool does it right, but you need start with NOS or NORS shackle bushings. Ray Helgers in RI has them, also try Fred at South Side Obsolete or Ron at Dennis Carpenter NOS. If you search for Kube's post you will find the correct way to do it.
russcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 07:32 PM   #19
richard crow

if you decide to replace with factory type try to get n.o.s. most of the after market ones are to large & imposible to press in with out damage. when you get the replacement bushing mike the outer dia. if to large turn the bushing shell to the correct size. if there the correct size you don,t need a vice or king kong.
richard crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 08:03 PM   #20
Kube

Guys, the repop bushings I have encountered are pretty decent. Some guys state they are "too big" in diameter. They are SUPPOSED to be .004" - 005" oversize. They are SUPPOSED to be pressed in.
Guys that grind them down to install defeat the purpose of replacing them. That rather large "press fit" is designed so that the pin / bushing "torques" when the spring is deflected - thereby forcing the spring back to the correct position.
Henry, DO NOT attempt to hammer on the new pin. It won't work - period.
I mentioned in another post (good shocks) by Henry that his front spring is beyond "shot". Now that we see the pins,coupled with that spring, I have to believe that car rides and handles like poopy.
Henry, without the proper press, this job is best left to a guy with the proper tools.