Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-10-2014, 10:48 PM   #1
Old Henry

Default How else to tighten up 47 steering box?

I've already done the standard adjustment on the top as far as it will go but still have way too much play. Anything else that I can do short of removing and rebuilding the steering box?
Old 05-10-2014, 11:08 PM   #2
Pete

Default Re: How else to tighten up 47 steering box?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Henry View Post
I've already done the standard adjustment on the top as far as it will go but still have way too much play. Anything else that I can do short of removing and rebuilding the steering box?
Assuming you have checked the steering shaft end play (adjusted by shims on the bottom cover) and all else in the steering system is TIGHT TIGHT, you are into a box reconditioning.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 12:36 AM   #3
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
Assuming you have checked the steering shaft end play (adjusted by shims on the bottom cover) and all else in the steering system is TIGHT TIGHT, you are into a box reconditioning.
Tell me more about adjusting steering shaft play with the shims on the bottom, please. I've never done that.
Old 05-11-2014, 02:10 AM   #4
51 MERC-CT

Some interesting reading--
http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/f...stmt-notes.htm
While sitting behind steering wheel push in and out, if any movement is detected, odds are the worm gear needs to be re-shimmed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 37-48.jpg (110.4 KB, 76 views)

Last edited by 51 MERC-CT; 05-11-2014 at 05:49 AM.
51 MERC-CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 03:46 AM   #5
Mart

You can get an idea if the worm bearings are way out of whack by turning the steering from side to side (Like a kid does when pretending to drive before his dad tells him to stop it). Then while turning it from side to side look at the gap between the back of the wheel and the shroud. If the bearings are badly worn you will see the gap get wider and narrower with each reversal of movement. In other words the steering shaft moves back and forth relative to the column.

Mart.
Mart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 06:50 PM   #6
jake197000

if it needs re shimming then its probably worn out or wasnt done probably in the past.the looseness came from wear.bearings or races are worn.or bolts are loose if u r lucky.
jake197000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 08:11 PM   #7
Charlie ny
BANNED

OH,
51 Mercs drawing of the gear box shows things quite well. The cover held in
place with 4 cap screws is removed and then a couple gaskets (aka shims)between the cover and housing are removed ,sort of a trial and error thing. Removing a couple gaskets/shims and reinstalling the cover pushes the lower Timken bearing cup into a closer engagement with it's cone taking up end play. It would be good idea to back off the adjustment you just made on top and disconnect the drag link at the pitman
arm to eliminate other sources of drag. If all goes well for you after a couple tries you
will feel a very slight drag when turning the steering wheel and there will be no up
and down movement when you pull the wheel towards you and push it away from you.
You did ascertain that all tie four tie rods ends are above reproach....I'm sure
you did......
Charlie ny
Charlie ny is offline   Reply With Quote