Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-29-2011, 07:35 AM   #1
DirtyDan

Default ~~DirtyDan's 1936 Ford Coupe Project - Build Pictures~~** UPDATED**

**UPDATES ON PAGE 2 & 3**

I have posted this to the HAMB already, but I have had a bunch of Ford Barn members ask me questions about my car and ask for some pics, so I figure I would post this on the here as well. If this is modified too much for this site, moderators feel free to delete. All mods were done increase drive-ability while trying to maintain a traditional look.

*** Warning ~ Stocker turned into a Hot Rod Below***

Since I’m wrapping up the final details on my project and I took pics the along the way I figured I would do a build thread on my 36 5 window.

A little back ground story:

I had searched for months to find a 36 coupe, and finally settled on a nice 35, 5w that I found locally stashed in a garage for the last 20 years. I bought the 35, and got it running only to find a beautiful 36 coupe in CA a week later. The car was absolutely rust free and had an older restoration. The 36 was more what I was after and quickly purchased the car from a HAMB member site un-seen. I had it shipped all the way from Sacramento CA, to St. Louis, MO. I was extremely happy with the 36, but now I had two 5w coupes.

Loading up in CA

I decided to sell the 35 and use the money to focus on the 36. I posted it it for sale and a gentleman in Finland snapped it up.

After driving the 36 for the summer in original condition, I decided I had to make it a little more of a hot rod. I planned on a simple drop axle, juice brakes, and big and little Firestones, and maybe a few flathead speed parts and call it done. It seemed like a good plan until over the winter I noticed a small oily puddle of water under the car. The car had a very good running 40 flathead motor, but apparently it did not like the cold St. Louis winter, and it developed a crack on the skirt.

So out came the ol’ 40 motor

While I was at it, I might as well pull the original front and rear suspension and prep it for a rebuild.

4" Superbell drop axle with 40 ford split wishbones and Posies spring in the foreground.

So I managed to tear the car all apart, just in time to take on another project:
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=293538

So the 36 sits for a year or so while I finish up the Rivi… During this time I discover the “Ultimate T-5” article on the HAMB and decide that’s the way to go with the 36 to make it a bit more highway friendly. So I start collecting parts again.

I found a great deal on a very ugly, but freshly rebuilt 8BA to replace the cracked 40 motor, and have it shipped in from Colorado.

I also ran into a great deal on some crusty old flathead speed parts

After a round in the blast cabinet. I probably should have left it alone here, but decided to do a full polish on the intake later.

Last edited by DirtyDan; 08-14-2011 at 12:14 PM.
DirtyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 07:35 AM   #2
DirtyDan

Default Re: ~~DirtyDan's 1936 Ford Coupe Project - Build Pictures~~

And since the motor is out, I might as well paint the beat up multi colored firewall

The firewall was my first attempt at painting, and it turned out well, so I turned my attention to that ugly (but patriotic) motor. I also found some pretty decent 16” steel wheels. I debated for weeks on what color to paint the motor and wheels and finally settled on gold.

In this mock up you may notice I swapped out the 8BA Offy heads for some early style Edlebrock Block letter heads. I also picked up a couple of 97s.

With the motor painted up, I moved on to fitting the junkyard S-10 transmission to the flathead. I decided to use the adapter plate made by Dwight Bond, because it seemed to use the most amount of factory ford parts, and would allow me to use 39 pedals for the clutch and brakes. I had a few problems figuring out the clutch and pressure plate, but in the end it all seemed to work out pretty good.

I decided on a Superbell 4" drop axle and had to split the wishbones to make room for the new T-5. I used a modified Pete & Jakes split kit once I removed the stock frame crossmember.
Old 03-29-2011, 07:36 AM   #3
DirtyDan

With everything bolted up it was finally time to start it. Amazingly enough it fired within the first few cranks. Finally did something right! It still had lots of bugs and needed fine tuning, but it was finally driveable.
First start- Video:

Finally got some exhaust on the car

Since I promised pictures from start to “almost” finished… Here are some pics I took of the car last week. It will eventually get the hood back on it, but for now I'm show'n off the flatty!

And a few artsy fartsy ones…

Old 03-29-2011, 07:38 AM   #4
DirtyDan

My dad was a huge help on this project. Now that mine is almost done, we will be working on his 35 Cabriolet next.

Yup... Its gonna be a hot rod too! The complete running drivetrain will be available for sale soon.

After crawling around on the ground, he decided to go ahead and build a frame and swap the body over. It will be a very similar build to my car.

Old 03-29-2011, 07:56 AM   #5
joel

Thanks for the pics; you and your dad have 2 very nice cars.
joel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 08:04 AM   #6
Tom's36coupe

Dan, Thanks again for the pictures, your car as I have said before is my inspiration for my project! Enjoy the ride!
Tom's36coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 10:54 AM   #7
Charlie ny
BANNED

Dan,
MAJOR....just....MAJOR.
Charlie ny
Charlie ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 11:51 AM   #8
Will Kimble

Nice work!
Will Kimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 01:08 PM   #9
bobfrev

Dan, do you have any problem with the front tires rubbing the fender well lips when you turn right or left with the drop that much and full size wide white walls?
bobfrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 01:17 PM   #10
Tom's36coupe

I was wondering the same thing. I want to lower my front end and not sure how much to take it down.
Tom's36coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 01:20 PM   #11
Mike B

Tastefully done!
Mike B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 02:57 PM   #12
35cab

Very nice, just the right amount of hopping up. Keep us posted on the cabriolet.
35cab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 02:57 PM   #13
BobM

Dan, job well done; that's how a real "hot rod" should look IMO. I too have a '36 & would like to do some of the things you have: how did you remove center section at the x-member with the body on? Is that the original '36 steering in the car, did you have to change water pumps, what oil pan did you use? Is the front axle also narrowed? Will you have an emergency brake? Am also concerned about front tire clearance (inner fender & wishbone?)
BobM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 03:06 PM   #14
Vic Piano

Simply outstanding. Beautiful job on a beautiful car.
Old 03-29-2011, 06:06 PM   #15
DirtyDan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobfrev View Post
Dan, do you have any problem with the front tires rubbing the fender well lips when you turn right or left with the drop that much and full size wide white walls?
Amazing enough, my tires do not rub anywhere even at full lock. Now if I was at full lock and hit a big bump, they would rub, but how often would that happen. The front tires are Coker Firestone 550-16's on a stock 4" 1940 Ford wheel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobM View Post
Dan, job well done; that's how a real "hot rod" should look IMO. I too have a '36 & would like to do some of the things you have: how did you remove center section at the x-member with the body on? Is that the original '36 steering in the car, did you have to change water pumps, what oil pan did you use? Is the front axle also narrowed? Will you have an emergency brake? Am also concerned about front tire clearance (inner fender & wishbone?)
I removed the x member using a plasma cutter. I originally tried drilling out the rivets but I got nowhere fast. The steering is all 1939 Ford, including the box, column, drop and steering wheel. I had to change the bracket on the frame, but Drake is repoping them now fairly cheap. The motor is an 8BA with truck water pumps so I can use the stock frame mounts. The oil pan is from a truck motor as well. It needed a little persuading with a hammer to clear the tie rod, but it works fine now. The front axle is a standard 4" drop Superbell for a 1940 Ford. I had 40 wishbones already split so I used those. I have a chrome Gennie Shifter E-brake mounted to the transmission next to the shifter that looks very similar to the stock 36 unit. I have no clearance issues front or rear w/ the tires.
Old 03-29-2011, 09:04 PM   #16
hbleadsled

Dan ,you did a great job on your 36 ford it sits just right, well done. Harold central coast Ca.
hbleadsled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 09:16 PM   #17
Tim

Super Bitchin'

Love everything about it.

Tim
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 09:22 PM   #18
felix37

Great looking car! and some awesome photography as well.
felix37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 09:43 PM   #19
~~Walts37~~

WoW Super nice job ~~Walts37~~
~~Walts37~~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 09:50 PM   #20
ajohn

Simply beautiful!Excellent job!
ajohn is offline   Reply With Quote