Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-08-2010, 09:21 PM   #1
torr324

Default 1929 Model A "Woody" Station Wagon

1929 Model A "Woody" Station Wagon Hey all I'm just trying to gather information and/or interest in my Model A Woody Station Wagon. This new body style for 1929 was the very first mass-produced Station Wagon ever offered to the public, and the Model A Woody was officially recognized as the very first "Woody Wagon" made. Of the 1,715,000 Ford Model A's produced in 1929, only 4,954 were Station Wagons. Many of the remaining woody wagons are no longer in desirable condition due to the wood construction of these cars and their owners poor care. I know this is a rare model and it is in very good condition and am looking to post it for sale in the near future but I was hoping to gain some feedback by posting here.

I have put some pictures up in an album and have more. If interested please reply and I can post more.

Thank You

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3443_op_640x480.jpg (65.5 KB, 171 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3447_op_640x480.jpg (48.3 KB, 181 views)
torr324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 10:13 PM   #2
barnstuf

Default Re: 1929 Model A "Woody" Station Wagon

An interesting post! I have owned three different 1929 Model A station wagons over the years but do not own one now. As to the first station wagon I believe the Star automobile had a station wagon in their model line up around 1924, but production volume was low. I also know of several 1928 Model A station wagons built not by Ford but by custom builders on a Ford chassis. The 1929 Model A Station Wagon was introduced very late in 1928 or early in 1929 as 1929 models and are not to be confused with the 1928 custom built ones I mentioned. The one item often missing on the 1929 models in these recent years is the side curtain tray under the floor below the rear seat and accessed from behind the vehicle.
barnstuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 11:46 PM   #3
Dave Mellor NJ

The Model T had the depot hack which was a crude station wagon and I have seen Dodge wagons from the twenties. Ford is credited with offering the first in house built wagon but as barnstuf stated, they had previous wagons built by independents in small numbers. I think they continued to make them after Ford started making their own. There was an article about the first five Ford-built wagons in late Dec 28, Supposedly there were five of them and three survive. There's a difference;the 28 units had dovetail joints in the wood around the rear fender while the 29s are finger-jointed.
Dave Mellor NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 08:16 AM   #4
John LaVoy

Kentucky Wagon Works made a variety of light delivery bodies in wood for the Model T and the Model A. The ones I have seen did not have seats in the rear, only in the front. I have seen two versions for the Model A one was open in the back but had the roof all the way to the rear, the other was enclosed like a panel truck.
John LaVoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 09:30 AM   #5
'29wagon

That there's a "Murray", plack on the passenger door says so. Now open it up and let us have a look under that hood. If you plan on keeping it, go a bit further, Tim Johnstone in Texas with the specialty and wagon outfit.
WoodyWagons He's got mounds of information and a monthly mailer with reads and details on what you've got. Internet searches will be quite vague and the info you've got leads to too many possibilities, It's way simple as yours looks to be complete, serial number's matching ?
I say keep it, drive it, build a portfolio and if you sell it offer that as it's history to add value.
Careful where you sell it or could end up in the hands of a hack and the burn pile.
'29wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 09:37 AM   #6
Tarheel

torr 324, I have sent a private message ( click on the blinking envelope under your name in the upper right corner of the page- you may have to be signed on )
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 08:05 PM   #7
glenn in camino

My restored 12/10/28 station wagon, with mostly original wood, has lap joints
glenn in camino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 10:10 PM   #8
Roadster62

I've got a lead on all the metal bits needed to build a '29 Station Wagon from one that rotted away. Is someone making all the correct wood for the '29?
Roadster62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 11:20 PM   #9
pat in Santa Cruz

wood kits for the 150-A (1929-1930) and B (1930-1931) are available from Pleasantville mfg, 5534 Centralia-Hartfield Rd, Dewittville, NY 14728. send 2 bucks for the wood catalog and another 2 bucks for the metal parts list. Wood kits run around $5000. I have seen one kit car...the wood was very good compared to original. There were small fine details missing which you could duplicate easily with a plane, chisel and sandpaper, such as eased edges and a slight recess in the tailgate top rail for the tailgate hardware.

You will also need curtains from Richard Hayes in Temecula, Ca, 951-587-2992 $1000/set.

If you undertake this project, you should join the Woody Wagons Chapter, box 341, McAllen Tx, 78505. You will want to buy the entire back issues of the newsletter. You cannot equal the level of the information you will get there on this board, as only a few woodie guys are on this message board.
pat in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 11:30 PM   #10
zzlegend

Just happen to spot this the other day. Dont know if any one is interested.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1928-...item3cb09fb989
zzlegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 11:53 PM   #11
dropacent

after 6 model T's we are anxiously awaiting the arrival of our first model A. the lady that is coming to live with us is one of the first 5 wagons that ford made in late 1928. she is coming with all kinds of documentation, and what pulled my trigger is the old crackled varnish, and all the original wood. she underwent a restoration in the 1960's and as soon as she is here, i will post some pictures. we would love to know more about her, and wagons in general. thanks! tim norwalk, ohio
dropacent is offline   Reply With Quote