Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-08-2016, 06:44 AM   #1
russcc

Default '40 door panels

The driver side door panel is warped, which sticks out enough for the window crank to make a half circle in the upholstery. The door panel and upholstery is original so I don't want to replace it with new. Anyone have experience in straightening the "paperboard" door panel. Please see photo.
Thank you Fordbarners
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4441.jpg (38.7 KB, 63 views)
russcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 07:17 AM   #2
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Default Re: '40 door panels

Once the backing board expands I don't think there is much you can do about it short of replacing it. You can purchase new backing and retain the original cloth.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 09:58 AM   #3
Karl Wescott

While I agree with JSeery, A process that might just work would be to put the panel in a warm, moist environment for a week to a month to soften the cardboard, then clamp the panel between two heavy plates and keep in a warm/hot and dry area for another week or month or so and hope the cardboard will flatten out and stay that way. No guarantee but if loss of this original panel would compromise a survivor car worth a try.
Karl Wescott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 10:18 AM   #4
4dFord/SC

You might consider installing an armrest. It would hold the panel to the door.
4dFord/SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 11:35 AM   #5
CharlieLed

As has been noted, the panel board is damaged and the upholstery will never look right until the underlying board is either repaired or replaced. If you are dead set on keeping the original board then you may look into a resin infusion process whereby the board is soaked with urethane resin under pressure. This pressure could be applied through the use of a flat plate that could be set on the door panel or it could be in the form of a vacuum bagging process like that used to form carbon fiber parts. The end goal is to flatten the board back out to its original size/shape and as a side benefit to make the board impervious to further water damage.
CharlieLed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 12:11 PM   #6
19Fordy

This may sound crazy but place it in a steam sauna room for a while and then bring it home and place it between to large flat surfaces with weights to "squeeze" and hold it down until it dries. That upholstery pattern looks different from what I have seen on a 40. Is it a Standard or DeLuxe? Just curious.

Last edited by 19Fordy; 07-08-2016 at 12:16 PM.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 03:08 PM   #7
russcc

Thank you for the suggestions. I was thinking about the damp, clamp and dry technique myself. Then coat the inside of the board with some spray lacquer or varnish to seal it. The armrest is good idea also.The '40 is a standard. I don't know the difference between standard & deluxe door panels, but would like to see a photo of them. Thank you Fordbarners.
Old 07-08-2016, 04:12 PM   #8
Kube

I would suggest you pry open the old wallet and buy a pair of bare panels from LB. It will be fairly easy to remove your old covering and apply them to the new boards. I would strongly advise some type of vapor barrier be placed over the door prior to installing the "new" panels.
Old 07-08-2016, 04:45 PM   #9
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kube View Post
I would suggest you pry open the old wallet and buy a pair of bare panels from LB. It will be fairly easy to remove your old covering and apply them to the new boards. I would strongly advise some type of vapor barrier be placed over the door prior to installing the "new" panels.
Amen, I think all these other schemes are risking damaging the original material!
Old 07-08-2016, 04:50 PM   #10
4dFord/SC

Quote:
Originally Posted by russcc View Post
Thank you for the suggestions. I was thinking about the damp, clamp and dry technique myself. Then coat the inside of the board with some spray lacquer or varnish to seal it. The armrest is good idea also.The '40 is a standard. I don't know the difference between standard & deluxe door panels, but would like to see a photo of them. Thank you Fordbarners.
The armrest only came on the Deluxe, but the doors are the same on the Deluxe and the "Standard" (i.e., Tudor Sedan) and have provision for the armrest on the inner cross-member.
4dFord/SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 06:53 AM   #11
russcc

Thank you all. I think I checked with LB and they didn't sell just the correct panel board, just to the stock to make them. Does the standard coupe have the provision for an armrest on the inner door cross member ? Thank you Fordbarners,
Old 07-09-2016, 09:04 AM   #12
alanwoodieman

can you easily remove the uph? if it can be done, then make an attempt to flatten the original board, heh, what can you lose? wet the board with a spray bottle and use an old steam iron on it, by ironing on a flat surface, do both sides of the board. If you try this please report back. also after it has been steamed flat and is dry, coat it with a sealer, also line the door with a piece of plastic trash bag before putting it back on.
alanwoodieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 09:05 AM   #13
19Fordy

Go to your local upholstery shop and see if they can supply you with the correct door panel. As I mentioned before your upholstery on the door you show doesn't look stock.
You can get cardboard panels as discussed on HAMB.
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/t...boards.690811/

Peruse the info. here also.
https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...dboard%20panel
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 09:06 AM   #14
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by russcc View Post
Thank you all. I think I checked with LB and they didn't sell just the correct panel board, just to the stock to make them. Does the standard coupe have the provision for an armrest on the inner door cross member ? Thank you Fordbarners,
Not sure what difference it makes, you can use your existing panel as a pattern and add any additional holes you want.
Old 07-09-2016, 10:00 AM   #15
TJ

You can buy the bare panels from LB. I have done it before unless they have changed their policy. The panels on a standard car are taller and shaped different at the top to correspond with the shorter garnish molding.
You might consider finding a VERY THIN piece of wood paneling and gluing the panel to the wood. Make the wood slightly smaller than the actual panel so it doesn't hamper the panel clips. Sandwich the door panel between the thin piece and a heavier piece of plywood on top than can be weighted down to flatten the panel. Use a good grade of wood glue or Liquid Nails. I've done this with kick panels and it works.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 11:14 AM   #16
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeery View Post
Not sure what difference it makes, you can use your existing panel as a pattern and add any additional holes you want.
Bingo!
Old 07-10-2016, 05:08 AM   #17
russcc

Although the door panel is warped, I believe I found the real problem why the window crank is hitting the door panel on part of it's arc. It looks to me, see photos, that the steel structural panel of the door has been bent in the past. If you look closely to the right of the window crank shaft you can see how the panel is not straight, and bulges out a little. That distortion results in the crank handle not being perpendicular to the door panel surface so the arc swings in to the left, hitting the door panel. Any suggestions on straightening that section of door inner structure ? Thank you Fordbrainers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4448.JPG (91.2 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4449.JPG (108.0 KB, 18 views)
Old 07-10-2016, 05:17 AM   #18
russcc

As a follow up to the inner door photos. Left is looking straight down the door from the top, where you can see the shaft canted to the left. Right is pretty much straight on, and the distorted area is the right of the crank shaft. Looks like it was hit with something to push the distorted area back some.
Old 07-11-2016, 09:51 AM   #19
Milt/Las Vegas

I believe the deluxe had armrests and the standard didn't.
Old 07-11-2016, 01:12 PM   #20
325w

1/8 inch abs plastic will make door panels that water will no effect. Also ad a plastic sheet to the door before the panel is installed.
325w is offline   Reply With Quote