Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-10-2016, 07:52 PM   #1
CharlieLed

Default 1940 Ford Coupe Trunk Struts

I have seen many 40 Ford coupes at shows that have gas struts supporting their trunks lids and some even have them on their hoods. Is there a source for these struts? I can buy struts and mount them myself but I don't want to spend a fortune experimenting with the correct length and/or pressure. Thanks...
CharlieLed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 08:43 PM   #2
TJ

Default Re: 1940 Ford Coupe Trunk Struts

I would not use gas struts on the hood or decklid. Depending on how they are mounted (usually in the middle of the hood or decklid) they have too much resistance and they can cause the hood or decklid to flex too much. That leads to the two eventually bending a certain amount and creating a poor fit. The downward resistance of struts vary a great deal depending on the application. Two struts of the same length can vary a great deal in the amount of resistance. Why not use the original style spring loaded hinges?
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 11:29 PM   #3
swoopNZ
MEMBER EMERITUS

Get Drake's modified original style ones for the trunk.
They are supposed to work this time with better coiled springs.

Last edited by swoopNZ; 02-11-2016 at 11:56 PM.
swoopNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 11:55 PM   #4
CharlieLed

Thanks for the heads-up swoop...I thought sure I had already checked with Drake, I guess I missed these struts. They are currently out of stock however.
I am not sure that I agree with you TJ...as I see it, the struts offer no more strain on the deck lid than do the OEM clock spring lifts. As for the OEM lifts, they are really clunky...this look is so much cleaner:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 40 Ford Trunk.jpg (92.1 KB, 110 views)
Old 02-11-2016, 09:37 AM   #5
STEVE O

On my conv which uses the same basically the same trunk lid only shorter I have messed with the gas struts. So far no luck. I spoke to a man that sells them on epay and he gave me some advice to prop the lid partially up on a pair of scales and figure from there. The LBS needed to be divided between the 2 struts. I went with that but I don't like it. It puts too much pressure on the hinges. It will open the trunk on its own when un latched so I could go with a little lesser pressure cyl but what if they don't work correct also. I saw a man at the last car show I attended and he said to come by his shop as he had spent hours on this problem and has come up with a relocation of the mounts to avoid this pressure when closed. I hope someone else can write on the solution. Someone before me removed the lower mounts but I am considering welding some back in the org position and use the org type. Good Luck.
STEVE O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 10:06 AM   #6
V8 Bob

I bought a gas strut kit years ago from a well known '40 Ford supplier but found the struts were just too strong, resulting in obvious deck/hinge/body movement when closed. Relocation of the mounts and/or weaker struts probably would have worked, but I went back with the stock lifts and springs, as they work very well on my shaved trunk deck.
I'm glad the struts didn't work out for me as I prefer the look and sound of the stock lifts.

Last edited by V8 Bob; 02-11-2016 at 10:30 AM.
V8 Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 11:15 AM   #7
CharlieLed

STEVE O I used the same scale method and found that the weight of the trunk lid was 36 lbs. I also took some measurements of the original strut setup when I was looking at using an electric linear actuator...here is a copy of my diagram, it may help someone looking into this situation. It seems that the major concern among many is the amount of pressure exerted by the struts when they are compressed. I may have to go back and look at the linear actuator again, it will exert no force when compressed. If I go with the linear actuator I will balance the opposite side with a very lightweight strut just to keep the lid from binding. Thanks for the inputs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 40 Trunk Strut Diagram.jpg (64.5 KB, 52 views)
Old 02-11-2016, 12:52 PM   #8
CharlieLed

Quote:
Originally Posted by swoopNZ View Post
Get Drake's modified ones for the trunk.
They are supposed to work this time.
Since Drake was out of stock on this strut kit I looked elsewhere. I found them at Legens Hot Rod Shop for less $$. Legens say that they provide Drake with this strut kit.
Old 02-11-2016, 01:09 PM   #9
cmbrucew

Chas
When I was in high school I installed a convertible top actuator on the deck lid of my 50
with the switch on the dash. Some one following too close, open the trunk lid 3 or 4 inches, then lower it back down. they back off.
Bruce
Old 02-11-2016, 09:42 PM   #10
Kahuna

Use the new improved original type from Drake.
They work and don't have that "Street Rod" look
Kahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 10:45 AM   #11
Milt/Las Vegas

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieLed View Post
I have seen many 40 Ford coupes at shows that have gas struts supporting their trunks lids and some even have them on their hoods. Is there a source for these struts? I can buy struts and mount them myself but I don't want to spend a fortune experimenting with the correct length and/or pressure. Thanks...
Mr 40s 559-875-1222 have them,but they have to adjusted correctly.I have them on my coupe and they work good,but may have problems on my convertible.
Old 02-12-2016, 11:07 AM   #12
CharlieLed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milt/Las Vegas View Post
Mr 40s 559-875-1222 have them,but they have to adjusted correctly.I have them on my coupe and they work good,but may have problems on my convertible.
Thanks Milt. I found Mr 40s website and realized that he was the guy I had spoken with sometime ago about a battery tray for my 40. I had since lost his contact info but now I have it again, thanks. His prices are very reasonable compared to other vendors, I may have to try his power cowl vent kit.
Old 02-23-2016, 05:48 PM   #13
4D-4EVR MAN

I installed a set from NAPA a few years ago on a 40 coupe. I have the NAPA number at home but I will not be home for another month(March 28). If you can wait that long I will be glad to give the numbers out. Just send me a private email and I will be sure to keep it to reply to whoever needs this info.
4D-4EVR MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 06:44 PM   #14
throwback

They have sold their 4000 tickets. Drawing is set for March 17. I waited to long!
throwback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 08:45 PM   #15
Tom/SC

We have in the past three years installed a pair of Drakes original style decklid supports one on a 39 Deluxe coupe and the other on 40 Deluxe coupe. Both sets work perfectly on these two Fords.
Tom/SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 07:35 AM   #16
4D-4EVR MAN

The NAPA number for the struts I used was 819-5218
4D-4EVR MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 08:48 AM   #17
okiedokie

I have Mr40's struts on my 40 coupe, work great. Maybe Milt can enlighten me about adjustments? I don't recall needing to make any.
okiedokie is offline   Reply With Quote