Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-02-2013, 01:23 PM   #1
oldford2

Default The Flathead King

We went to Nova Scotia last week and went up the Maine Turnpike. Walt's shop is only a mile or so off the Gardiner exit so we stopped in for a short visit. Walt was assembling a "hot" one but stopped for a chat.

He likes to build warm 276's

Here is another on his test stand. Note the gas tank hanging over the engine. I think he uses this feature to regulate fuel pressure - raise it to the roof beams to increase pressure and lower to decrease pressure. LOL

Wish we could have stayed longer but had to cut across Maine to get to the coast and a seafood dinner. Walt is sure an interesting guy and a real gentleman.

John
oldford2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 02:03 PM   #2
Walt Dupont--Me.

Default Re: The Flathead King

John. you would have to take that pic when my hair was messed up. lol Walt
Walt Dupont--Me. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 05:39 PM   #3
Jefscoupe

Cool shots. Thanks for sharing.
If he's the Flathead King, and he hangs a 59A off the half-bell, then I guess that blows that "don't do it" out of the water.
Now, it could be he has some trick or special mounting there. I can't see.
Jefscoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 06:43 PM   #4
Walt Dupont--Me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jefscoupe View Post
Cool shots. Thanks for sharing.
If he's the Flathead King, and he hangs a 59A off the half-bell, then I guess that blows that "don't do it" out of the water.
Now, it could be he has some trick or special mounting there. I can't see.
Well it is a special trick Jef. I have a 1/4in. plate bolted to the bellhousing and also a tight fit on the dowel pins. The plate stick out a couple of inches on each side and with 2 bolts holes on each side that the engine stand bolts to. BTW, how many of those flatheads have you seen broke off? I see a pic of one once and I doubt the 4 bolts were long enough and screwed in tight. I know I built many many for years before before you guy on the barn scared me so I made this plate about 10yr's ago. Lucky Lucky me. Walt
Walt Dupont--Me. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 08:41 PM   #5
Model A Bill

Had the oppurtunity to talk to Walt last night on the phone for over an hour.We talked about a engine rebuild for myself,cars,engines,and everything in between.When I hung up I got to thinking about the stuff that he must have done and seen up untill now in his life. I was impressed.I had never seen a picture of Walt untill now.You are right Walt you don't look a day over 39

Bill
Model A Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 09:03 PM   #6
Pete
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt Dupont--Me. View Post
Well it is a special trick Jef. I have a 1/4in. plate bolted to the bellhousing and also a tight fit on the dowel pins. The plate stick out a couple of inches on each side and with 2 bolts holes on each side that the engine stand bolts to. BTW, how many of those flatheads have you seen broke off? I see a pic of one once and I doubt the 4 bolts were long enough and screwed in tight. I know I built many many for years before before you guy on the barn scared me so I made this plate about 10yr's ago. Lucky Lucky me. Walt
I have been doing it wrong for 60 years. No broken ones yet.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 09:19 PM   #7
35 coupe

I have one of his engines in my 50 f1, and I feel lucky to have it. Was worth the 14 hour drive from Pa.to Maine. Wish I had the money to have him build me one to put in my 35 coupe. He helped me out with many a question on both of my vehicles. I may plan a trip up there again this year just to see him and go to anslie's on Thursday night. Lot of nice cars.
35 coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 11:04 PM   #8
Jefscoupe

I knew there was a trick. Thanks Walt. And thanks for not flaming this newbie. Unlike the HAMB might do.
I still have yellow poop in my diapers when it comes to flatheads, so I look forward to gleaning any knowledge I can from this forum.
I'm no youngster, though, just never dealt with flatheads before. I've been messing with those...bowtie things.....
One of my buddies at work thinks I'm nuts (in so many words) but my 32 3 window has been telling me it wants a flathead for years. I just wouldn't listen.
And since this forum mainly deals with stock restored types, I won't mention my vintage 50s era.. h-r...
I started out with a Chevy, then a Pontiac, then a Cleveland. I finally came to my senses, though. Better late than never, eh?
To my wife's chagrin, I went from no flatheads to three in just a couple weeks.
But she's a jewel, she's just happy to know where I am and what I'm spending our money on.
She says she'd much rather me be out in the shop than "out with the boys".
Me too, as far as that goes.
We have a flathead guru around the Memphis, TN area. Don't know if you maybe have heard of him. Paul Kosma. He has a 29 roadster that he has run at B'ville a few times. Lots of flatty experience. Now if I can just get "in" with him... A heck of a lot closer than Maine to SW Tn.
But if we're ever up that far north...
Yack, yack, yack...I'll shut up now...
Thanks again.
Jeff
Jefscoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 07:13 AM   #9
flatford8

I listened to the one on the engine stand Thurs. I'm picking
it up today. I spent the afternoon with Walt, Ken and another
of the regulars. Went Anslies and saw alot of nice cars.
A good time !!!!!
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 07:58 AM   #10
JM 35 Sedan

Visiting Walt last year was definitely one of the highlights of our Barner's tour through Maine. I spent half the time on our visit looking around his garage. If I need to get another FH engine rebuilt, Walt is first on the list of names I would consider.

I probably took 50 or more pictures in Walt's shop. The walls are covered with lots of cool stuff mostly related to Flatheads. I probably did not post many, if any, here on the Barn thinking that Walt may not have wanted some of these pictures circulating around on the internet.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 09-12-2013 at 08:59 AM.
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 01:22 PM   #11
39portlander

Not only is Walt an encyclopedia for the Flathead and early Fords, you should hear him pic that Martin.

Hope to get up to Ainslies soon Walt. Scott
39portlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 02:49 PM   #12
Flathead

Kosma cast some 671 blower manifolds a long time ago didn't he?
Flathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 03:41 PM   #13
Ronnieroadster

Wink Re: The Flathead King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flathead View Post
Kosma cast some 671 blower manifolds a long time ago didn't he?
Yes Paul Kosma is the guy who cast the 671 blower manifolds for the flathead many years ago. He set a record at Bonneville running his 671 blown flathead. If you look at the video I posted you will see the Kosma 671 blower assembly I've been the care taker for the set up for a very long time now. Paul is still busy building motors Jeff if you want to contact Paul send me a PM and I will give you his number I talk to Paul almost daily.
Ronnieroadster

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRt8Z...lFhpAC-Sa6zvOQ

Last edited by Ronnieroadster; 08-03-2013 at 03:43 PM. Reason: added video
Ronnieroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 11:39 PM   #14
KittermanKustoms

Ronnieroadster, do you know how many 6-71 flathead manifolds Kosma made?
KittermanKustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 05:47 AM   #15
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt Dupont--Me. View Post
Walt, looks like you got a nice little set-up there. I also love the fact that you set the valves like Ford did.

Sadly, I saw one at Hershey that was for sale. Now note it had a set of Ardun heads on it so it added more weight and they put the weight higher up on the motor. Guy had it on a stand on Wed & Thurs. and by Friday it was on the ground this the top 1/2 of the bell snapped off.

Could have been a fluke, but I saw it.

Last edited by Tim Ayers; 09-12-2013 at 12:52 PM.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 08:27 AM   #16
louisb

Cool looking shop. Bet there are a lot of stories there.

--louis
louisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 07:18 PM   #17
epw1949

Walt,I was checking out the forums,and came accross the title {The Flathead King} so I clicked on it, low and behold there's a picture of you.Now as I looked at the picture I wondered if maybe the flathead king title, came from your haircut. Now I want you to know that you are the best Ford V/8 flathead engine rebuilder, on Maschino Lane, in Gardiner,Maine.I am glad we met, and are friends. See ya when I see ya. Take care, E.P.W.

Last edited by epw1949; 09-12-2013 at 07:37 PM. Reason: Left out a word
epw1949 is offline   Reply With Quote