Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-23-2012, 09:09 PM   #1
griffincat

Default What should I do with rough town sedan??

I just purchased a 1929 4 dr. town sedan and am not sure how I should procede. I have no real interest in restoring the car as I have a 31 victoria and 31 slant window that are my next projects. I consider the car in rough shape as all of the wood and interior is gone along with floor and subframe, the front fenders are workable, back of body as well as lower fender wells will need some patch work. The cowl is pretty good, but doors need patches at bottom. Also no engine or transmission, or grill, or hood. All of the door window garnish mouldings are present, the windshield frame is nice. It has its ups and down, so should I try to sell as is, or would parting out be my best option? I am hoping to get in the $1200 range either whole or parts. Any ideas?
griffincat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 09:20 PM   #2
eswanson

Default Re: What should I do with rough town sedan??

If it is in rough condition an entire car would go best. Really nice parts I've seen go well alone but those are only very nice ones. Also let people know where you are and someone might get excited and look at it.

Eric Swanson
1931 Model A Pickup
eswanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 09:24 PM   #3
griffincat

I am 1 hour north of Milwaukee, WI. I will get some pics tomorrow and post an add to see what happens.
Old 09-23-2012, 09:26 PM   #4
Rowdy
BANNED

That will be tough getting $1200 out of a pile of fordor sheetmetal and a near bare frame. We have been selling off 60-B sheetmetal from two cars for afew years. It sells slow so be patient. One we bought the sheetmetal with a running chassis for $1000. I used the chassis for the delivery and we ujsed the splash aprons, radiator, radiator shell, lights and horn for Dad's coupe. So far sold off about $600 in sheetmetal and other pieces. The other one was pretty much a throw in with a rough tudor body. Have not sold much of the sheetmetal off of it yet. It is in tough shape with most of the top pieces missing or near unusable. Rod
Old 09-23-2012, 09:36 PM   #5
griffincat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy View Post
That will be tough getting $1200 out of a pile of fordor sheetmetal and a near bare frame. We have been selling off 60-B sheetmetal from two cars for afew years. It sells slow so be patient. One we bought the sheetmetal with a running chassis for $1000. I used the chassis for the delivery and we ujsed the splash aprons, radiator, radiator shell, lights and horn for Dad's coupe. So far sold off about $600 in sheetmetal and other pieces. The other one was pretty much a throw in with a rough tudor body. Have not sold much of the sheetmetal off of it yet. It is in tough shape with most of the top pieces missing or near unusable. Rod
That is sort of what I was wondering. To me the main parts of use would be the frame with front and rear end, the cowl with windshield frame which is nice, as well as the complete set of six garnish mouldings. Am I off in thinking that the frame might be $200-$500, the cowl section and windshield $350, and the mouldings $300-$450? Of course you still need to find a buyer. All four doors would be ok for someone as well as lots of misc.??
Old 09-23-2012, 10:13 PM   #6
wrndln

Unless the frame is extremely nice, $200 to $500 is pretty high. An average frame might bring $125 to $200. A chassis without the transmission and engine (with front and rearend) might bring $400 to $500 in decent condition.
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 10:35 PM   #7
griffincat

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrndln View Post
Unless the frame is extremely nice, $200 to $500 is pretty high. An average frame might bring $125 to $200. A chassis without the transmission and engine (with front and rearend) might bring $400 to $500 in decent condition.

Sorry if I mis discribed what I have. I do have the complete chasis missing the engine and transmission.
Old 09-23-2012, 10:46 PM   #8
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

you will be lucky to get 300 total !
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 11:24 PM   #9
Rowdy
BANNED

I have been trying to get $450 out of a chassis with motor and transmission. Bare frames are usually a solid $125-$200 that I can agree on. Rearend in unknown condition $50-$75. Frontend might depend alot on how you market it. Some hotrodders are paying $150 each, but on this forum you would be lucky to get $50. Rod
Old 09-23-2012, 11:37 PM   #10
Marco Tahtaras

If the sheet metal had little to no rust you would be in the ball park. The cowl would be worth about $250 if it has a really decent cowl band. Without that it's worth about $50 if you find the right guy.
Old 09-23-2012, 11:47 PM   #11
Roadster62

If that cowl is the same as a 60C I'd be interested in it, but shipping would drive the cost off the charts. Look forward to seeing the photos. Bob
Old 09-24-2012, 01:40 AM   #12
dumb person

In my country the frame would be worth about $1,000 alone, without axles or anything. The cowl might even sell for $2-800. All your stuff seems so cheap over there.
dumb person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 09:39 AM   #13
Jerry Parr WI

Thing to remember is the best parts may go quite quickly but then you will be left with a large selection of undesirable parts. Unless you have unlimited storage or a hulk sitting in your yard is not a problem sell it complete.
Jerry Parr WI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 12:14 PM   #14
mot

i bought a beautiful late 31 frame about 3 years ago
no pitting ,sags or breaks
and the guy delivered it to my barn
total cost was $125
it sat all day at a big swap meet
i didnt have the cash but took the guys number in case it didnt sell
no one else wanted it
mot is offline   Reply With Quote