Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-15-2012, 12:41 PM   #1
joltesvig

Default How Does Your Steering Work?

My 31 Coupe has been running real well the past several weeks so I've been driving it into town and around. The more I drive it, the more it seems like the steering seems, how should I describe it, a little sloppy. When it finds a little ridge in the road it shifts a bit to the left or right, I counter steer slightly to offset the pull. The she'll go straight down the road straight until we come up on another ridge which pulls the "aim" slightly off course again. I this because there is a generous amount of "play" in the steering, that is, because the steering wheel has about 1/8 turn of "slop" or free-play in there? Is this how your Model A steering feels going down the road, that is, "sloppy"?

Then, I would also ask a second question. When I turn a corner left or right, I "crank" the wheel around sufficiently to make the turn then the steering wheel stays at that position if I take my hands off the wheel, the wheel "stays put" until I force it back to the straight ahead position when I finish the turn and want to go straight ahead again. Is this the way all Model A's steer? Is this similar to how your Model A steers? The only other cars I can remember driving with manual steering was the 59 Plymouth I learned on 50 years ago and also a 1966 VW Beetle which I drove for seven years. With these cars the steering always wanted to "self-center", that is, return to the straight ahead position all by themselves, without me "pushing" the wheel back to the straight-ahead position as is required on my Model A Couple. How should my Model A steering feel going down the road, what is "normal" for a Model A?

Maybe I just should consider my steering normal for a Model A? If you think my Model A has a steering problem as I have described it, can you please tell me what I might try to make it steer "normally"? Any of your thoughts will be appreciated!
Old 04-15-2012, 12:48 PM   #2
J Franklin

Default Re: How Does Your Steering Work?

Your steering should return to center after turning a corner, your car needs some attention. It could just need an alignment, or maybe a full rebuild. With bias ply tires there is some tendency to follow ruts and ridges. I find that a light hand rather than fighting this works best.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 01:44 PM   #3
hardtimes

John,
Geeze, where to start with answer! Ok, I'll start with the standard...did you check for this subject answers in past files..plenty there.
Now, to answer your two questions directly..NO AND NO, not how A steers normally when working correctly. Finally, you do not describe ANYTHING that you've done to/with your A steering...except driving! Tell us what you've done to inspect/correct it and you will , most likely, get lots of help/suggestions.
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 02:15 PM   #4
Patrick L.

Just go thru the front end and check everything including grease.. There is very specific adjustment procedure for the steering box, make sure the pitman arm is tight, drag link and tie-rods are tight, wheel bearings adjusted correctly and everything is greased and working freely.. Hunting/ducking and diving can be from improper toe-in[should be 1/16"].. I don't feel that the steering wheel should 'self-center' as there is too much caster [appr 5º] but it should try and just take very little effort to do so.. Part of the nice part of owning one of these monsters is learning how work on it..
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 02:53 PM   #5
Kurt in NJ

My car has about 3/4 " play at center, it will return to center without helping, the steering effort is such that when moving the effort is at the limits of "palming(I sometimes find myself driving it like a powersteering car),new usa sector, argentine worm,needle bearings for sector, rebuilt in 1969,major out of car adjustment in 1986, at this time the kingpins have about 1" of play at the wheel, the steering balls are original and somewhat oval, adjusted to be tight at full lock, the car drives good and steady at turnpike speeds even with the loosness, it does have properly operating original shocks.

Have you checked the oil level in the gearbox??

Jack the front wheels off the ground, try to turn the wheel--at both ends(inside car,and by grabbing tire)---looking for loosness and binding.---check the kingpin thrust bearings to see if they are carring the load --or is the lower part of the axle rubbing on the lower spindle causing high effort.
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 03:05 PM   #6
Fred K-OR

John, have you checked your tire pressure lately? Uneven tire pressure sometimes causes the wheels to "follow" ruts in the road. I think the recommended pressure is 35 lbs.

Also the "lazy man's" way of sometimes fixing front end problems is to install a front end stabilizer. (FJK is in this category)
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 06:50 PM   #7
Jim Parker Toronto

QUOTE: " Is this because there is a generous amount of "play" in the steering, that is, because the steering wheel has about 1/8 turn of "slop" or free-play in there?"

Way too much free play, this would account for your problems! That much free play would not pass a club safety in our area. Our cars are inspected every year by the club so we can be included in the club tours!
Jim Parker Toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 07:10 PM   #8
Richard in NC

What they all said. Go through everything and replace or fix all worn parts and the car will drive good. But,,, My car and others I have driven try to get a little squirrelly when it is real windy and also, solid front axle cars tend to dart a little when you run up on a ridge or funny place in the road. They just do. Fix the play and it will do good but it will not ever drive like a modern car.
Richard in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 02:10 PM   #9
joltesvig

Default How Does Your Steering Work? THANKS all who contributed ideas.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to answering my questions. Sorry for my laziness in asking but you guys cut through a lot of hunting and searching for information in service manuals.
The guy I got this 31 Coupe from said it was a driver, he had been driving it and everything was in good shape. Caveat emptor!
Right off the tire pressure on all the tires was down to about 20 psi...apparently these tires don't hold air for months at a time like modern cars do. I think I should start checking that every week! I aired 'em to 35 psi like you suggested.
Every thing you suggested I checked. Almost everything needed attention! The left front wheel bearing was loose, the bearings needed to be packed with grease. All of the steering grease fittings were dry...I got one of those little adapters to fit the old fittings and greased everything...that helped a lot! I got some 600 W gear oil and had to pour in around a half-cupful in the steering gear. The toe in was spot on, good. My shop service manual did not explain adjusting the steering gear very well (Greek to me!) so I got a manual which is only 3/8 thick and it explained very clearly what to do and that tightened up much of the slop in the steering wheel free-play. Oh, the right front wheel bearing was too tight and the wheel & tire would not spin freely...I adjusted right after greasing and it spins good now.
A word of caution when you buy next time...don't trust anything you're told even if the seller seems like a nice guy!
Marilynn steers like a champ now and the steering wheel doesn't need heavy cranking but she still does not come back to center unless I give a little help. I also bought a pair of driving gloves to offset the slippery steering wheel...plus they have stylish "knuckle holes" like I remember my Dad used when I was a little kid.