Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-19-2013, 10:06 AM   #21
brien

Default Re: No compression

I am with those who are siding on the valve problem. I would recommend an entire valve job since you are going to have to remove the heads to "clean" them anyway.

If I recall, since it has been a long time since I lifted valves out of my V-8, you will likely have to remove the manifolds, as well.

You will need a valve lifter. It is a special tool that compresses the valve spring while you lift out the valve itself from the block.

You can use the present valves so long as when you grind away the carbon deposits, you don't reduce any valve tolerance. Otherwise, go on ebay and find a set of valves...They are likely there.

Btw removing the heads you can also inspect the piston heads as well. This will tell you if the engine has ever been rebuilt. You may see a .40 stamped on the heads of the pistons. If I remember correctly, this means the cylinders were bored out 40 thousands over the initial bore. You would need this information if you replace the piston rings. Do everything that you can while the heads and manifolds are off, you won't regret it.

Btw, be sure to remove the head bolts in the series recommended by Ford. You should get a Ford manual for this since if you don't remove and put them back in the proper sequence, along with the proper torque, you will likely ruin all of your hard work.

Here is a link for the engine manual:

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Ford-.../dp/1884089119

Here is an illustration of the V-8 FLathead:

http://restoreyourford.com/v860parts.shtml

Good luck
brien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:12 AM   #22
denver9

OK, no valve covers, I get it. (I am used to a 4 cyl Model A engine, so lost my perspective a little there) Then take off the intake manifold and look for the valves under there. The point is: look to see if the valves are moving freely with FULL travel. they might be stuck open as several have suggested.
-Denver
denver9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:20 AM   #23
Mark Slight

My two cents worth, you may be chasing your tail if you don't remove the engine and inspect it thoroughly. If it sat for 9 years there may be pistion ring and lower end problems that will appear shortly and become costly if not corrected.

Mark

Camp Lejeune NC
Camp Geiger NC 1955-1959!
School of Infantry, Semper Fi, 0311

Last edited by Mark Slight; 03-19-2013 at 01:14 PM.
Mark Slight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:28 AM   #24
Tinker

I agree with the guys saying it's a valve issue. Hey, 9 years and you have some stuck or sticky valves.

I'd want to pull the top end myself (intake, and heads). Then you can get a good look at what you have and which ones are sticking. Hit the valve guides with MMO or whatever solution you prefer and work the valves that are stuck but tapping them in with a softhammer and turning the engine over to raise them up. Time is an essence, and it will take some time and some oil. Best to soak as long as you can stand to let it alone. Couple days.

100psi on a few cylinders is good for a flathead that has been sitting for a decade. So it sounds like you might have a good runner once the valves are free.

Best of luck.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:32 AM   #25
Rock Hornbuckle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford1948f1 View Post
Hi everyone, I have a 1948 ford f1 v8 flathead with no compression on 4 cylinders. I have removed the heads and intake and valves are free, what could cause this. I was told from Previous owner that the truck was running fine with no problems but due to his health condition he had it park for 9 years.
You have removed the heads and intake, and the valves are free. Then you post again, saying "valves seem to be fine". Tell us in the finest detail you can, just what the valve seats look like. Any rust, particle build up, crud, etc.
'14 100th Anniversary Challenger Limited Edition.

Semper Fidelis

Last edited by Rock Hornbuckle; 03-19-2013 at 10:34 AM. Reason: spelling
Rock Hornbuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:48 AM   #26
Mike51Merc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford1948f1 View Post
Hi everyone, I have a 1948 ford f1 v8 flathead with no compression on 4 cylinders. I have removed the heads and intake and valves are free, what could cause this. I was told from Previous owner that the truck was running fine with no problems but due to his health condition he had it park for 9 years.
Where have I heard "it ran when parked" before?

Sorry for the jab. Seriously, it sounds like a valve job is in order. You may not even have to replace any parts, but you do need to disassemble, inspect, clean & fix anything that needs fixin'.

Pull the heads and manifold off. Rotate the crank and see what you can see.
Mike51Merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:50 AM   #27
Rock Hornbuckle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike51Merc View Post
Where have I heard "it ran when parked" before?

Sorry for the jab. Seriously, it sounds like a valve job is in order. You may not even have to replace any parts, but you do need to disassemble, inspect, clean & fix anything that needs fixin'.

Pull the heads and manifold off. Rotate the crank and see what you can see.
Mike, he's already pulled the heads and intake.
'14 100th Anniversary Challenger Limited Edition.

Semper Fidelis
Rock Hornbuckle is offline   Reply With Quote