Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-15-2016, 08:55 AM   #1
A-Man

Default Turn Alarm

I recently installed a TURN-ALARM (#535) on my 1930 Ford Model A Coupe, purchased from a web site for DAECO in California: http://turnalarm.com/index.htm The Coupe has the original 6 volt electrical system.The alarm sound works great, however, the pilot lights on the turn signal switch do not function. I replaced the Turn-Alarm with a standard 535 flasher, and the pilot lights do operate.
Has anyone experienced this same problem with the TURN-ALARM? If so, what did you do to resolve the problem?
Thanks
A-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 08:58 AM   #2
Gary WA

Default Re: Turn Alarm

Good Ground!
Old 05-15-2016, 09:22 AM   #3
Fred K-OR

I tried one of these and it made so much noise, I took if off because everyone thought I was a truck backing up. Did not notice it affecting the light.
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 09:31 AM   #4
Dollar Bill

I also had problems with indicator lamps not working and like GaryWA, it was determined to be a poor ground. It must have good contact with the steering column. Hated to scrape off the paint but that was how I fixed my problem.
Old 05-15-2016, 10:32 AM   #5
jrelliott

If it is a grounding problem, which I highly suspect it is, run a ground wire from the turn signal controller to a ground on the body. You do not have to scrape the paint off your steering column this way.
jrelliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 12:19 PM   #6
Dick M

Send a message via Yahoo to Dick M

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
My fix was to attach a thin ground wire to the turn signal unit. I then slightly opened up the steering column bracket, put the other end of the braded wire, spread out, in order to make the wire as thin as possible, in between the clamp, and tightened up the clamp. No more ground problems. BTW, my turn signal unit is located on the steering column close to the steering column bracket. Therefore, I was able to use a short ground wire. I also have an alarm beeper. I thought it was too loud as well. My fix was to install it behind the driver's side kick panel which muted the beep considerably but remained audible.
Dick M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 02:18 PM   #7
Keith True

If the alarm beeper has the hole in the middle to let the sound out,it is an easy fix.Put a piece of electrical tape over half the hole and try it.Adjust the sound by covering more of the hole,or,uncovering more of it.A dab of silicone will do it too.Adjust to your liking.
Keith True is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 02:26 PM   #8
Fred K-OR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith True View Post
If the alarm beeper has the hole in the middle to let the sound out,it is an easy fix.Put a piece of electrical tape over half the hole and try it.Adjust the sound by covering more of the hole,or,uncovering more of it.A dab of silicone will do it too.Adjust to your liking.
Good idea Keith. I may have to install mine again and try that.
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 05:40 PM   #9
A-Man

Still experiencing problems with the TURN-ALARM by DAECO. Reading the postings to this thread as well as other related postings, I know a good ground is needed. I believe my signal switch is well grounded, as I have it grounded similar to what Dick M recommended. The only difference is that I have a eyelet soldered to the wire, rather than having "the braded wire, spread out".

But to make sure, I have also have run a jumper ground from the turn signal switch unit to a body bolt. To no avail, as the pilot lights do not light up when the signals are activated.

I am confident that the pilot light bulb is good, and also that the TURN-ALARM 535 is good. Sent the TURN-ALARM 535 back to DAECO. They tested it and stated there is no problem with it. They could offer no viable solutions.

So I am hopeful someone out there has experienced this problem, and hope to get a resolution to this problem of pilot lights not lighting up.
A-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 11:46 PM   #10
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick M View Post
My fix was to install it behind the driver's side kick panel which muted the beep considerably but remained audible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith True View Post
If the alarm beeper has the hole in the middle to let the sound out,it is an easy fix.Put a piece of electrical tape over half the hole and try it.
I put a piece of tape completely over the hole AND behind the driver's side kick panel in order to get the sound down to an acceptable level.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 07:32 AM   #11
eagle

Use one of these little buzzers, wire it across the flasher contacts. Easy and works great. Make sure you have the polarity correct. http://www.ebay.com/itm/HQ-Small-Siz...0AAOSwv0tVFTLW